Beyond Meat Burgers

When I was young we only had meat for special occasions, then I became a Forest Warden and started to outright hate industry meat because I always had easy access to most likely the best.

Sausages that are made in my homevillage... the smell alone reminds me of childhood. If you like meat, and noone can blame you because it can be delicious, you will have to face the problem that it will forever leave a hole. A hole that will be filled with so much more than you can imagine...

There are sooo many different tastes on this world and among those there is most likely something you will enjoy way more than meat. Its just like your ex-girlfriend... you know why you fell in love with her, but you also know why you left her!

People shouldnt cling to their old habits and encourage a whole new greedy industry to take advantage of the rising awarness, but rather embrace the new possibilites they have! Send your taste buds on a journey... you wont regret it.

However, I agree with everything that might help people with their transition, and as most of us know its not always easy.

Best vegan burger I had, I eat them once a week. The texture and taste are great, even meat eaters love them.
I’ve been eating vegan meat for almost 11 years with no interest of quitting, they taste good. I got to see so much progress in those 11 years, one of the big milestones I consider is Beyond Meat. Other than that, Miyokos and Kite Hill.
Vegan alternatives are not exclusive to newbies only and it doesn’t make you less of a vegan if you enjoy them. You don’t have to transition to a whole foods plant diet, most would agree that it’s harder to stick to than your average vegan diet.

Last edited:
I’ve been eating vegan meat for almost 11 years with no interest of quitting
Why call it vegan meat though? Isnt it something else? Something... beyond meat?! Still calling it meat is stupid imo... and I think in many cases people are simply afraid of calling it by its real name because in most cases its impossible to pronounce unless you are Cthulu.

because there’s many varieties of it and it’s easy to call it that. you get vegetables shaped and seasoned as a burger so you call it a vegan burger. there’s so many different things, like fish less filets, soyrizo, etc. I used a general term for it because I’m talking about multiple things. You said what I called it was dumb but haven’t said what you call it. It’s plant meat, easiest way to describe it.

Calling it fake, beyond or whatever "meat" just seems wrong to me because from a marketing point of view it aims at people that only follow a trend and will go back to meat-meat after they spend some good money on a plant based alternative that deserves a better chance.

I dont know.... never ate vegan products that got invented to resemble the taste and look of dead animals. How would I call it? Whats in it? I would just say its a.... conglomeratic piece of plant-based food.

No, it’s not fake food. It’s made out of real plants. People who’ve been eating vegan for years still choose to eat beyond meat, gardien, daiya, etc. I think people who first transition think they need to either transition off vegan meat or stay away from it in general, which isn’t true. Plants are still plants no matter how they are shaped or seasoned.

I havent said its fake food. I have a problem with the name because it suggests being something similar to meat, while its not. You dont really see what I mean, right?

Vegan meat will never taste exactly like a dead animal, so if you’re going to eat it you need to realize that. Though, having a slightly different taste is not a bad thing. If vegan alternatives were so unbearable no one would eat them. You have to enjoy them for what they are.

Please let me repeat myself.... Calling it whatever "meat" just seems wrong to me because from a marketing point of view it aims at people that only follow a trend and will go back to meat-meat after they spend some good money on a plant based alternative that deserves a better chance.

You can eat whatever you want! I would just give it a 2nd thought how you call it though...

Calling it fake, beyond or whatever "meat" just seems wrong to me because from a marketing point of view it aims at people that only follow a trend and will go back to meat-meat after they spend some good money on a plant based alternative that deserves a better chance.

I dont know.... never ate vegan products that got invented to resemble the taste and look of dead animals. How would I call it? Whats in it? I would just say its a.... conglomeratic piece of plant-based food.
The word "meat" is used to describe what you get inside a walnuts shell. "Flesh" is what you scrape out of a tomato. "Skin" is what you peel off a zucchini. "Steak" is a slab of grilled eggplant. "Milk" is a liquid extracted from plants, seeds, or nuts.
They're words that describe types of food. Yes, we mostly refer to animal flesh as meat, but it has been a word used by many cultures, including vegetarian cultures, to describe plant foods. No reason people should take offense because it's becoming more popular.

From a marketing point of view, calling it a meat alternative, creating the tastes and textural qualities people seek out in food, and most importantly, availability, is looking quite successful in my region. Seems the most disturbed are the wfpb people who could care less about vegan ethics and go out of their way to criticize it as being as bad as meat. They aren't the audience, and they're not as bad as meat in any way, sooo....

Omnivores are buying these products. Vegans are buying these products.
I stayed away from things resembling animal products for more than the first year I quit eating meat. I now love foods like Beyond, Gardien, and have loved plant based chik;n things my entire life, more than chicken--so did my son who was not raised veg.

There's money in this now. They've been able to market the most extreme fake, unhealthy crap no one could ever have believed people would put in their mouths much less crave, but they've been incredibly successful there. Now the need is to go with the environmental, cheaper plant based foods.Just wait

A plant burger sounds way better than "conglomeratic piece of plant-based food." :rofl:
Why to be honest I have to agree on this one. :rolleyes:

However, I do encourage new products that are very much able to replace its cruel counterparts but somehow dislike the tendency to even call it whatever "meat".

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Why to be honest I have to agree on this one. :rolleyes:

However, I do encourage new products that are very much able to replace its cruel counterparts but somehow dislike the tendency to even call it whatever "meat".
Well I suppose it's mostly a cultural thing. Indian food doesn't quite discriminate so much between how vegetarian foods are called and use a lot of the same terminology--I may be wording that wrong, but just that they've had vegetarian foods mainstream so long they have more desriptions

What I dislike is the use of "fake" and 'faux'. So much of the animal products are seasoned to taste like sausage, burgers, taco, bacon. When you use those terms all you need to reference the source. Remember the low fat craze in the 80's (?). Everything was turkey. Turkey sausage, turkey bacon, turkey ham. People balked, and joked, but now, that's mainstream. Soon enough it will be plant based sausage, bacon....

There are products that are labeled plant meat that don't specify vegan, and that bothers me. You have to scavage the label when you should see it right up front.
And animal products need to be clearly labeled along with milk egg or fish on the ingredient lists

Reactions: Chryssie and Ohzen
I like Beyond Burgers and the Beyond Sausage very much! I don't remember what animal flesh tastes like so that isn't even a consideration. My omni friends who have tried them like them too. Anything that gets an omni "on the plant band wagon" even just occasionally is a plus!

The word "meat" is used to describe what you get inside a walnuts shell. "Flesh" is what you scrape out of a tomato. "Skin" is what you peel off a zucchini. "Steak" is a slab of grilled eggplant. "Milk" is a liquid extracted from plants, seeds, or nuts.
They're words that describe types of food. Yes, we mostly refer to animal flesh as meat, but it has been a word used by many cultures, including vegetarian cultures, to describe plant foods. No reason people should take offense because it's becoming more popular.

From a marketing point of view, calling it a meat alternative, creating the tastes and textural qualities people seek out in food, and most importantly, availability, is looking quite successful in my region. Seems the most disturbed are the wfpb people who could care less about vegan ethics and go out of their way to criticize it as being as bad as meat. They aren't the audience, and they're not as bad as meat in any way, sooo....

Omnivores are buying these products. Vegans are buying these products.
I stayed away from things resembling animal products for more than the first year I quit eating meat. I now love foods like Beyond, Gardien, and have loved plant based chik;n things my entire life, more than chicken--so did my son who was not raised veg.

There's money in this now. They've been able to market the most extreme fake, unhealthy crap no one could ever have believed people would put in their mouths much less crave, but they've been incredibly successful there. Now the need is to go with the environmental, cheaper plant based foods.Just wait
Talking to real vegans often feels like they havent made the decision out of a feeling but took all possibilities into consideration and now act on it.

Great input... very much appreciate it!

Reactions: Chryssie
My personal perspective is that I am really relieved to choose for not harming animals. I have not had meat for a long time now, and I was not getting meat replacements early on, and don't really miss meat. I do use beans, peas or lentils in meals, or otherwise hummus, and I eat nuts and seeds. I could eat faux meat, but it does not especially attract me, it could be useful in recipes still. But it would really bother me if it is made to not be distinguishable from animal flesh that would be used. I know what that is like and I don't want to be reminded of it more. I am over meat and want food that is not so much like it. Healthy eating certainly doesn't need that. But I am not here to stop others of you who want that, if you really won't use animal products.

I havent said its fake food. I have a problem with the name because it suggests being something similar to meat, while its not. You dont really see what I mean, right?

Industrials who manufacture meat alternatives are mainly targeting omnis and flexitarians, who are by far the largest consumers of these products. The latter do have to have similar characteristics to meat products to make them appealing to flexitarians. In the UK there is a huge rise of the latter and all the major supermarkets have multiple new products which are selling like hot cakes.

The more recent growth in the plant-based meat segment is aligned with the interest in plant-based diets as a healthier dietary pattern. Australia is considered the third-fastest growing vegan market worldwide (behind the United Arab Emirates and China) [22]. The number of adults following vegetarian or almost vegetarian diets increased from 1.7 million to 2.1 million (11.2% of the total population) from 2012 to 2016 [23], a number that is anticipated to increase in alignment with global research findings. Alongside this is the trend towards eating less meat or a “flexitarian” diet approach, also being adopted by more Australians to improve nutrient density and reduce their environmental impact, although they may still consume meat occasionally [19].

CategoryDescription
BurgersMeat-free patties, including either ‘burger’, and/or ‘pattie/ patty’ in the product name
SausagesFeatures either ‘sausage’, or ‘hot dog’, in the product name
MinceFeatures ‘mince’ in the product name
ChickenMeat-free products appearing to mimic chicken, including “Chick’n Nuggets,” “Nuggets,” “Chicken-Style Strips,” and “Vegan Schnitzel.”
SeafoodMeat-free products appearing to mimic seafood, including “Fish-Free Fingers,” “Battered Prawn-Style Pieces,” and “Tuno.”
OtherMeat-free products falling outside of other categories, including “Vegie Roast,” “Bacon-Style Rashers,” and “Polony.”

Plant-Based Meat Substitutes in the Flexitarian Age: An Audit of Products on Supermarket Shelves

Here where I live pretty well all the fast food joints have Beyond Meat including McDonald's PLT.

But for healthy if you go to a Vegan restaurant/cafe you get a patty made from real food like chickpeas, beans and veg without the illusion of eating meat. Tempeh would be a better choice and with a falafel style patty on a bun. plus lettuce and tomato.