Beyond Meat Burgers

I have a problem with the name because it suggests being something similar to meat, while its not. You dont really see what I mean, right?

One might argue milk the same way. How can people call almond juice milk? That argument seems to me as ridiculous as the meat argument. There's several wild edibles I can think of where the inner core of the plant or root is called the meat. It's been called that since I can remember. And this fits well within the definition of the word "meat". The word seems to be flexible enough to cover veggie burgers in my humble opinion.

Definition of meat

1a : food especially : solid food as distinguished from drink
b : the edible part of something as distinguished from its covering (such as a husk or shell)

2 : animal tissue considered especially as food:
a : flesh sense 2b also : flesh of a mammal as opposed to fowl or fish
b : flesh sense 1a specifically : flesh of domesticated animals

3 archaic : meal entry 1 sense 1 especially : dinner

4a : the core of something : heart
b : pith sense 2b a novel with meat

5 : favorite pursuit or interest

Source

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
A little off-topic but we have seen that various American States and countries have had court battles about the words "meat" and "milk". The meat and milk industry have even won some.

I noticed that some of the non dairy milks have started using alternative labels. Maybe they already lost somewhere and are just going to use the same label world wide. At Trader Joe's you can buy an Almond Juice Beverage. And I'm sure I've seen the word Mylk on some labels.

Reactions: Emma JC
Trader Joes is also called Soy Beverage on the carton, but everyone still calls it soy milk here!
I don't care, but in US we are used to non dairy 'milks'

and that's the cool thing .... because the plant-based beverages are in containers that look like regular milk containers it has become more the norm and the benefits of buying the shelf stable versions are amazing especially during a time when you would like to limit the number of trips you make to the grocery store - I have convinced a few family members to buy plant milk based on that argument alone... a small victory but one I will take

we have a Canadian company Earth's Own that is making a variety of plant milks and they do not refer to any "milk" or "beverage" on their labels

Emma JC

Reactions: thinman
I don't know. Leaving the word "milk" off the label seems like a cop-out. but I can see how stupid court battles are not in the company's interest.

• Friendly
I don't know. Leaving the word "milk" off the label seems like a cop-out. but I can see how stupid court battles are not in the company's interest.

thing is, I buy them all the time and it wasn't until I went online, this morning, to look and see what it says did I notice it - so really it is a crazy fight on both sides - the dairy industry would be better off trying to fight about the container they are in than what they are called

IMO Emma JC

thing is, I buy them all the time and it wasn't until I went online, this morning, to look and see what it says did I notice it - so really it is a crazy fight on both sides - the dairy industry would be better off trying to fight about the container they are in than what they are called

IMO Emma JC

What? plant milks can't be sold in containers that resemble milk cartons?

Hmm. Maybe you are on to something. Like my laundry soap and dish soap are sold in pouches and then I just refill the "dispenser". Back when I worked in food service we had these big bladders we would put into the milk machine. Maybe something more recyclable?

One of the regional brands here, Calafia comes in unique shaped bottles that are recyclable. They don't appear to be as "space-efficient" as a milk carton, tho.

Screen Shot 2020-07-15 at 2.12.45 PM.png

It's difficult to know how healthy and nutritious these things are, but they are processed foods so perhaps err on the side of moderation - more one a week than one a day, say.

I like the taste of the Beyond Burger even though it tastes like meat and that's not what I'm usually looking for. I bought one once in a supermarket in 2018 when visiting the US just for curiosity and since then I've had it many times in restaurants when it's often been one of a small number of vegan choices or even the only one.

But I haven't been to a restaurant for 5 months, so I haven't eaten it for 5 months...

Personally, I see so many good and yet weird tasting veggie options, that it isn't necessary.

However, I want to see more and more of these burgers on the market for those that like them including meat eaters.

I had omnis say they like Beyond even better- though it makes a huge difference how they're cooked! We had them at a company picnic and they were coming out underdone! They were all on a platter already, and they didn't listen to me, even though they said they didn't know them :dismay:

I was told they don't taste like meat, but they taste "meat-like", which make sense to me!

I had omnis say they like Beyond even better- though it makes a huge difference how they're cooked! We had them at a company picnic and they were coming out underdone! They were all on a platter already, and they didn't listen to me, even though they said they didn't know them :dismay:

I was told they don't taste like meat, but they taste "meat-like", which make sense to me!
My mom prefers Beyond Burgers over flesh ones. She loves the taste.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
The Beyond Whopper is awful. But maybe its better than the regular whopper. :)

Hmm, I was under the impression Burger King's Whoppers were made using Impossible meat? I'm sure that would taste different than the Beyond brand, but since I've never tried the Impossible burger, I am only guessing.

The Beyond Whopper is awful. But maybe its better than the regular whopper. :)
Impossible replicates the worst parts about meat, and it's dry. I don't consider it worth going to Burger King for a microwaved burger. It's more expensive than what I really want, which is a Beyond burger. Mom got them and seemed excited for it, I wasn't as thrilled. Then she remembered they used to test on animals.

Impossible replicates the worst parts about meat, and it's dry. I don't consider it worth going to Burger King for a microwaved burger. It's more expensive than what I really want, which is a Beyond burger. Mom got them and seemed excited for it, I wasn't as thrilled. Then she remembered they used to test on animals.

Oh thanks. I thought the whopper was Beyond. You are right - it's Impossible.

I have had the Impossible burger in other places and I thought it wasn't too bad. I've only had supermarket Beyond Meat.

I agree on the Impossible burger. The few times I've had one, it was very dry. I much prefer the Beyond burger.

• Friendly
I realized something funny. People always ask me don't I get bored, or miss easy access to different foods. Now I can find all kinds of variety and I'm like-- Nah, I'm good!

I've been passing up plant meats left and right, including my trip to trader Joes where they have both vegan turky and I guess beaf burgers. Sounded unappetizing!

I've added The Beet to my newsfeed and I'm really appreciating their news. Today they reported on a study that IMHO has some surprising results.

A couple of good quotes from the article.

“There’s been this sort of backlash against these new meat alternatives,” said Christopher Gardner, PhD, professor of medicine at the Stanford Prevention Research Center. “The question is, if you’re adding sodium and coconut oil, which is high in saturated fat, and using processed ingredients, is the product still actually healthy?” To find out, Gardner and his research team asked 30 individuals to follow two different diets for 16 weeks: One called for at least two servings of red meat a day, the other for two servings of plant-based meat a day.​

The study concluded: “Among generally healthy adults, contrasting plant with animal intake while keeping all other dietary components similar, the Plant products improved several cardiovascular disease risk factors, including TMAO; there were no adverse effects on risk factors from the Plant products.”​
So when you crave meat, choose plant-based options, but when you just want a bun with something healthy to bite into between the lettuce, tomato, and vegan cheese, head to the veggie burger in the frozen food aisle and get yourself a bean burger.​