Beets/Beetroot!

I like roasting them, but usually when I buy beets, I make a baked version of this recipe for vegan meatballs. I just form and place them on a baking sheet and finish them in the oven. They freeze very well.

Here is another variation, that is a beet-based version of sweet and sour meatballs, which I know are a popular holiday appetizer. I haven't tried this recipe yet.

If you have a sweet tooth, there are also brownie recipes out there that incorporate beets.

Many moons ago, back when I did all my cooking myself, I used to make beet stew. It was pretty easy. Cut beets and carrots into cubes, fry it briefly with some onions, then add a tomato paste & water mix, and let it simmer. Add your favourite herb spices, e.g. marjoram. It's done once the beets are soft enough to chew. Serve with turmeric-enhance rice for a colourful experience. Would probably be nice with some kind of greens on the side?

Also, this is worth mentioning for the benefit of beet newbies: After eating a meal heavy in beets, don't be alarmed when you later visit the bathroom :) It's beet colour, not some kind of internal bleeding!

Also, this is worth mentioning for the benefit of beet newbies: After eating a meal heavy in beets, don't be alarmed when you later visit the bathroom :) It's beet colour, not some kind of internal bleeding!

That happened to me once, I was alarmed until I realized I had eaten beets recently.

Maybe it's odd, but I like the leaves better than the roots. However, a couple of years ago, my neighbors were in a community-supported agriculture program where they received a share of whatever a local farm was harvesting each week. Turned out that it was more than the four of them could eat, so I bought some of their extra veggies and got some fresh beets for the first time. I think I just rinsed them off without peeling, boiled/steamed them, and peeled them after they were done. I think I had read that if you cook them and then peel them, you don't get quite so much of that red juice slopping around...

They're not bad-tasting, but not my favorite yet... certainly colorful, though. Maybe make some dish which would be more attractive and appealing from the red color? ("Vegetarian Times" magazine once had an article about developing food colorings without artificial chemicals, and one researcher said that they had gotten a really beautiful red from beets... but... it made the food TASTE like beets too.)

My family used to have canned beets with vinegar poured on them as a side dish every now and then. Not being a picky eater, I ate them, but let's just say I seldom asked for seconds.

Reactions: sallyomally
I was just reading in the newspaper now that in the wake of the roubel crisis in Russia, a senator in Siberia recommends women who can't go without lipstick to use beetroot to colour their lips ...