Communal Cook-Fest!

I'd opt for no syrup. Sloppy Joes were a theatre pot-luck main-stay, and they were always so sickeningly sweet. :yuck: LOL
I make these, too, and I think I put in like 1 TBS instead of 3. They are definitely more spicy than sweet. And they are delicious!

It has been ages since I made that recipe! I know I didn't maple syrup, maybe agave. Can't remember how much syrup I used, but now I want to make them
I think I'm out of brown lentils. I wonder how they'd be with red lentils and bulgar? I think yes

I am pretty faithful to the recipe but for one thing.. I dont put in maple syrup at all.. I dont like sweet things in savory.

I am having trouble narrowing down my options for the soup ... Maybe something orange, or potatoey, or legumey. o_O The baked good will very likely be my wheat-free cornbread muffins since everyone in my family can have them and I know they are tasty.

I make these, too, and I think I put in like 1 TBS instead of 3. They are definitely more spicy than sweet. And they are delicious!

The recipe sounds a bit like the Boston style baked beans. I also don't add the amount of sugar stated as I don't like too sweet tasting savoury food.

Well, it looks as if I'll be doing my grocery shopping for the cook-fest in about an hour or so... I'll do that en route to Jerry's, I can keep the frozen beans & gnocchi in the freezer upstairs, and store the spinach, basil, & mozz in the basement mini-fridge... then haul all that crap back here tomorrow morning. The car has to be in the shop at 8 AM Friday so what I think will happen is my folks will pick it up at Jer's, take it to the shop, then somebody will pick me up a couple hours later to take me back here so I can spend the majority of Friday cookin' all my sh*t! :)

I kinda wanna make sure I get to Kroger before the after-work crowd.... LOL :confused:

Reactions: Freesia and PTree15
Halloo! I ended up going to the store with my mother yesterday because she said she'd just write a check... yay! :) And we saved almost $11 because of the coupons I uploaded to my card! I was able to find everything... except Kroger was out of fresh basil, so I got the lightly dried stuff.

I think right now I'm going to roast some garlic as well as the zucchini (sliced lengthwise).... I was just gonna roast a few cloves of elephant garlic, but since the regular garlic cloves are so much harder to peel, I'll roast that bulb instead... that way the roasted cloves will just pop right out, and I can use the easy-peel elephant garlic for the fresh stuff. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
I haven't really decided what I'm making yet, but I will make something nice, probably just a soup. I won't be making a dessert as I have been fat-shamed on here. That is a joke, I don't care, lol.

Here's all the sh*t for tomorrow.... :up: (I had the garlic & artichoke hearts from before.)

View attachment 10776

Oh, you have the fire roasted tomatoes, I keep hearing about them! I haven't seen them over here. I've looked for them.

I haven't really decided what I'm making yet, but I will make something nice, probably just a soup. I won't be making a dessert as I have been fat-shamed on here. That is a joke, I don't care, lol.

Oh, you have the fire roasted tomatoes, I keep hearing about them! I haven't seen them over here. I've looked for them.
Well, I normally buy no-salt-added canned stuff, but this particular recipe said not to, get the fire-roasted. I'll drain & rinse what I can (garbanzos, artichokes, roasted peppers, sun-dried tomatoes), but this stuff is gonna be much higher in sodium than I'm used to. Makes me feel a little naughty.... :p

@Moll Flanders -- In my quest to locate fire-roasted tomatoes for you, I stumbled upon this convo on PPK....

"To me, fire-roasted tomatoes taste sweeter and richer than regular tomatoes, not necessarily more smoky. I don't know if any specific stores around where you live will have this, but when I lived in the UK (which was a few years ago now) some Morrisons stores had these oven-roasted tomatoes with garlic along with the fancy olives and cheeses and stuff like like. I would probably use regular diced tomatoes in the soup but then add a couple of those oven-roasted fancy deli tomatoes (chopped up finely) into it because they have a similar (albeit more concentrated) flavor to the fire-roasted ones that come in cans. Or you could roast your own."

"So fire-roasted tomatoes are something more along the lines of sunblush tomatoes?"

"Yes, that's what they're called! Thanks. In terms of flavor they're sort of similar, in terms of texture no. The texture of canned fire-roasted tomatoes is the same as regular tinned tomatoes, but you know how the sunblushed tomatoes have a sweeter, more intense flavor than regular tomatoes? It's sort of like that but less concentrated. You can get them with or without herbs and garlic added. I wouldn't just use a ton of sunblushed tomatoes in a recipe because they're expensive and the flavor is sort of strong, but adding a few minced up sunblush tomatoes to a pot of regular tinned tomatoes would mimic the flavor closely enough, in my opinion."

Have you ever seen sunblush tomatoes? Do you have Morrison's stores nearby? I don't know your exact locale. Saw the same question posted on Yahoo... again, Morrison's was suggested... also some place called Asda.

When in doubt, you could always try:

Oven-Roasted Tomatoes (copied from another convo)
From Not Afraid of Flavor: Recipes from Magnolia Grill, by Ben & Karen Barker

Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C). Cut tomatoes in half, toss with olive oil to coat, and place, cut-side down, on a baking sheet. Roast for 1-1/2 hours, until the tomatoes are soft and have just begun to exude their juices. Cool, remove the skins, and pack into a container. These are delicious tossed with roasted or grilled vegetables, in soups, and with simple pastas and risottos. They keep for several days, refrigerated.

Last edited: