UK B12 supplement dosage info needed please

B12 absorption can vary between individuals, and it tends to decline as we get older. There is some speculation that age-related ailments such as decline in cognitive function and problems with mood may be caused by B12 malabsorption in some cases, and that those past retirement age should consider B12 shots as a preventative measure.

I started on a lower dose and have noticed benefits from increasing it.

However, contrary to what was said upthread, B12 is not completely non-toxic. Studies have shown some very slight possible risks, but the evidence is slim and limited to people with a few pre-existing health conditions. This is worth looking into if you're considering taking more than is recommended.

I would suggest beginning with the standard recommended dose, then seeing how you feel at higher doses. If you notice benefits from increasing it, you might be one of those people who doesn't absorb it well and therefore needs more than the average person.

B12 absorption can vary between individuals, and it tends to decline as we get older. There is some speculation that age-related ailments such as decline in cognitive function and problems with mood may be caused by B12 malabsorption in some cases, and that those past retirement age should consider B12 shots as a preventative measure.

I started on a lower dose and have noticed benefits from increasing it.

However, contrary to what was said upthread, B12 is not completely non-toxic. Studies have shown some very slight possible risks, but the evidence is slim and limited to people with a few pre-existing health conditions. This is worth looking into if you're considering taking more than is recommended.

I would suggest beginning with the standard recommended dose, then seeing how you feel at higher doses. If you notice benefits from increasing it, you might be one of those people who doesn't absorb it well and therefore needs more than the average person.
Interesting. I will take this into account when choosing. There sure is a minefield of information out there. I've never had a problem with b12 or any other vitamin in the past so I should imagine the recommended dose would be suffice plus I do have milk alternatives and cereals. Thanks for the advice!

Interesting. I will take this into account when choosing. There sure is a minefield of information out there. I've never had a problem with b12 or any other vitamin in the past so I should imagine the recommended dose would be suffice plus I do have milk alternatives and cereals. Thanks for the advice!

B12 deficiency can be really subtle, though. It has a mild (in most cases) effect on your nervous system and muscle strength.

I noticed, as I've increased my dose, that I don't get overwhelmed by emotions as much, my vision is slightly better, I'm better organized, and my intellect is a bit sharper (to say I feel "smarter," wouldn't be exactly accurate; maybe just more focused and rational). And I have more energy.

I don't think there would be any benefits to getting more B12 than you need. To me, this indicates that I need a higher dose because I don't absorb it as well as most people. Speculation, not science, but there it is.

I see the Vegan Society .com recommend 10 microgrames per day (Like my tablets)
But Dr. M. Greger at Nutrition Facts .org recommends 50 per day (down from his previous recommendation of 250)

And this website:

Recommends 25-250 microgrammes per day. Because we older ones maybe absorb less of the B12 that we take.

I'm 53.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave hardrockmaster
I see the Vegan Society .com recommend 10 microgrames per day (Like my tablets)
But Dr. M. Greger at Nutrition Facts .org recommends 50 per day (down from his previous recommendation of 250)

And this website:

Recommends 25-250 microgrammes per day. Because we older ones maybe absorb less of the B12 that we take.

I'm 53.
Dr Gregers recommendations are either 50mcg daily, or, 2000 once a week for those under 65.
1000 daily for 65 and over
Cyanocobalimin is preferred for it's stability, unless you have the MTHFR genes where you need methyl

Reactions: johnnyivan
1000 per day for seniors. sheesh.

I still get lots of small does daily with my multi and fortified soy milk. Just recently I got some 1000s which I thought to take once a week for insurance purposes.

1000 per day for seniors. sheesh.

I still get lots of small does daily with my multi and fortified soy milk. Just recently I got some 1000s which I thought to take once a week for insurance purposes.
Why? It's certainly easy enough, and pretty cheap to find sublinguals. Cyano is shelf stable so Dr Greger doesn't make any other recommendations

Wait, is it better to dissolve the tabs under your tongue (sublingual) rather than swallow them straight off?