August Health Challenge (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to exercise more over the past week, 45 minutes to 1.5 hours each day.

I'm having Sunday off as I did 6 days this week. I'm just going to relax today, have a bath and read a book.:zen:

I am going to have a green smoothie each day too. I keep doing that for a while and then stopping, but I bought a new blender so I have left it out on the kitchen counter top to remind me.

I am going to have a course of acupuncture treatment too, but that might start next month. Three of the women with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue issues that I speak to online said that it has really helped them with pain and sleep so I was going to see if I noticed any difference.

Good job, Moll! :)

I bought an acupressure mat because I saw good reviews on one of our morning news programs. The very first time I used it I felt some relief, but not the two times after that. It seems to depend on the type of muscle pain I’m having. When it’s deep muscle pain it works better but not when the fibro flares in a way where my skin feels like it’s burning and sore to the touch. The mat made that worse. But I’m wondering if I need to be more consistent with it. It’s interesting to say the least and it wasn’t very expensive. I bought one for 19.99 on Amazon.

User Data and Cookie Consent

Last edited:
Reactions: Val
I bought an acupressure mat because I saw good reviews on one of our morning news programs. The very first time I used it I felt some relief, but not thevtwo times after that. It seems to depend on the type of muscle pain I’m having. When it’s deep muscle pain it works better but not when the fibro flares in a way where my skin feels like it’s burning and sorevtonthe touch. The mat made that worse. But I’m wondering if I need to be more consistent with it. It’s interesting to say the least and it wasn’t very expensive. I bought one for 19.99 on Amazon.

Oh yes! I had a mat like that on my Amazon wish list for ages. I was put off thinking it might hurt as some reviews said it felt really spiky.

Oh yes! I had a mat like that on my Amazon wish list for ages. I was put off thinking it might hurt as some reviews said it felt really spiky.
I had sandals like that that killed! They were slides. I can't even stand soles with soft nubbies

You definitely feel the spikes but it’s not unbearable. I wear a T-shirt if my skin is being sensitive.

I have been trying to exercise more over the past week, 45 minutes to 1.5 hours each day.

I'm having Sunday off as I did 6 days this week. I'm just going to relax today, have a bath and read a book.:zen:

I am going to have a green smoothie each day too. I keep doing that for a while and then stopping, but I bought a new blender so I have left it out on the kitchen counter top to remind me.

I am going to have a course of acupuncture treatment too, but that might start next month. Three of the women with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue issues that I speak to online said that it has really helped them with pain and sleep so I was going to see if I noticed any difference.

What kind of a green smoothie do you make ? I was pleasantly surprised to see that Aldi stocks pouches of spirulan, wheat, macs etc for a fraction of price compared to H&B. Aldi and Lidl stores are so different in the UK compared to the ones over here.

^ Just spinach, bananas and apples usually. I used to put spirulina in my smoothies but I cannot stand the taste.

I stepped on the scales today and I only lost 1/2 a pound in the last week, despite doing so much exercise!:sigh:

The blood test I got this month showed an abnormal thyroid so I have to have it rechecked in a couple of months.

Slow but steady progress here! Down 8 pounds from my high - people are starting to notice. The changes I made in early July have become habits - black coffee, walking 45min to an hour 6 days a week, Dave’s (60 calorie) Killer Bread instead of Rudi’s for sandwiches, almost no snacking between meals. It’s paying off!

Still, in my next life, I want to come back as a soccer playing, 6ft tall, adolescent 16 year old boy!!!

Reactions: KLS52
July was a pretty good exercise month. Eating...ehhhh, still a work in progress. I've upped the vigilance, though, and I've noticed a change in the way my clothes feel, so I'm making progress, but not as much as I need to, haha. Still, I will take it! I can feel myself wanting to work a little harder at the eating, though, so that is good. This is really the first time in about five years that I gained any sort of weight since my initial big weight loss, but it wasn't enough to require new clothes, and I consider that a huge victory. Onward!

Today I did the treadmill for 40 minutes. I upped the speed a little for more intensity. Good workout. This sticky weather has forced me back inside, but it's all good. I'm hoping for a long walk this weekend near the beach. Fingers crossed that it's not oppressively humid.

Bad news - I have been suffering with tight muscles in my legs and hips and I started getting pain on the outer side of my foot. I googled it and it said it's probably from walking too much! I'm probably going to have to walk less for a while and also try some stretches for my legs and hips.

Good news - I weighed myself today and I lost 3 pounds. I don't know why it didn't show up on the scales before.

Liking for the good news, not the bad. Maybe you just need to start out a little slower...shorter brisk walks perhaps. Stretching is always good.

Actually, I notice the wider my stride, the more pain I feel afterward, so I try for shorter, quicker steps. But it usually depends on how tired I am when I start out. I take longer, slower steps on mornings when I didn’t sleep well the night before.

Reactions: Poppy
I feel like my legs are more firm than before, but that might be my imagination. I've been going for short, frequent bike rides the past few months.

Most importantly, I made a chiropractor appointment. Finally. I'm going in next week. I'm tired of my back feeling sore all the time, and I know it won't get better without an adjustment or two. Stupid scoliosis.

Re: hip stretches: I do these a lot to relieve lower back pain. I recommend lower lunge, crescent lunge, frog, and pigeon (or variation of pigeon). Frog pose can be intense, but it feels amaaaazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val and KLS52
Today: strength training at the gym (chest, upper back, arms)
Yesterday and day before: biked about 6km each day and did several hours of gardening.

My goal is to do an upper-body workout at least twice a week. Ideally, I should do 3, but I don't know if that'll happen.

I bought some herbal stuff and some detox tea to do a 10 day cleanse.

I will try not to drink any alcohol too. I'm not sure I will last 10 days with that as I'm supposed to be going out a few times in the next couple of weeks.:innocent:

I'm going to read the Dr McDougall book The Starch Solution next week too.

Re: hip stretches: I do these a lot to relieve lower back pain. I recommend lower lunge, crescent lunge, frog, and pigeon (or variation of pigeon). Frog pose can be intense, but it feels amaaaazing.

I will try them, if I can!:D

Yesterday I did one of my "functional" workouts: prying apart wooden pallets with a crowbar. It took at least 3 hours to do it. It was more challenging mentally than physically; I wanted to throw the damn thing against the wall! lol.

Yesterday I FINALLY got to do my walk outside. It was humid but cool, so I could tolerate it. Today I slept in. I was on the phone late with a friend, so I didn't get good sleep and slept right through the alarm. GRRRR. I will definitely do something tomorrow, though. I did a lot of dancing over the weekend because I went to two concerts. I have been doing OK with food, too. I'm back to my smaller portions, which is good. :)

I gained 3.5 lbs. I’m not too worried. I think I can kick back into it. I was good for six months and I needed a break from tracking points for a few weeks. I wasn’t even that bad. It’s just amazing how I can’t eat like a normal person, though, without gaining. By normal, I mean, sautéing veggies in a tablespoon of olive oil :eek:...having a sandwich on a hard roll (5 puts) instead of a wrap (1pt) :eek::eek:...eating two pieces of chocolate instead of one...having a third cup of coffee. It’s so ridiculous but I’m not ready to give up yet, lol. I’m a stubborn old biatch.

Reactions: Poppy
I miss my college metabolism.

I keep telling myself that an average half a pound loss each week isn't nothing. :(

But it sure isn't thrilling!!!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.