Are 'free range' eggs really free range.

madjock2010

Newcomer
Reaction score
I read somewhere that free range hens only end up with around 20% more space than battery hens.

Is this right?

I'm lucky as I can get true free range eggs from a neighbour that keeps chickens as pets.

At least in the US, you can use the words "free range" so long as the hens have access to some outside area. Whether they spend any time there, how large the space is, the quality of the space, etc aren't regulated......so it doesn't mean much. Pastured eggs would be closer to what most people think of as "free range".

Getting the eggs from your neighbor is much better.

They will keep the chickens. The eggs are not the reason they have chickens. They happen to be a by product of keeping chickens

Reactions: ledboots
AFAIK, the only real free range chickens are those who have regular access to a yard. Unfortunately, with eggs labeled free-range in the US, there's no way to know if they really are free range or not.

Free range is a lie. And your neighbors, what will they do when the hens stop laying?
Its not necessarily a lie, its just that the regulations for use of the phase "free range" are not very strict. Some may be legitimately free-range but I imagine most are not.

I noticed the other day at the grocery store that there is a new brand of eggs that is sold as pastured, they were fairly expensive though. I think around $5 a dozen.

Egg labeling standards are poorly defined and unenforceable. If you buy eggs, visit the place where they come from. If the origin is obscure or they won't let you visit, assume there is a reason why.

"Pasture raised" tends to be more meaningful than free range or cage free (which could just mean several thousand crammed into a pen without cages).

Vegetarian fed is a ******** label that usually just means gmo corn and soy. Pasture raised chickens would be pecking around for insects and stuff.

Reactions: ledboots
A general phrase in the US that is often use, which has no meaning, is "Natural". "Natural chicken breast", etc..... I'm not sure what people think it means but perhaps it brings to mind happy pastured chickens?

I never liked eggs unless they were cooked hard, runny eggs are gross. I cut eggs out of my diet a long time ago. I don't trust the free range bs. It is just more money.

"Free Range" is a very good thing ... for marketing, to make people consuming eggs feel better about it.

Uh-huh?

They'se gonna end up with a whole lot of old chickens and absolutely no eggs that way.

That's twice you have questioned me now!

You act like my friends will slaughter their hens when they stop producing eggs. You know nothing about them out me.

So stop questioning my motives and keep your opinions to your self. I asked for advise not your pointless I'm holier than you ****.

And due partly to having watched Van Helsingthe other night and partly due to something being wrong with my mind ...

I'm now stuck with an un-pretty mental image of vampires 'tea bag' farming women for their sanitary towels.

That's twice you have questioned me now!

You act like my friends will slaughter their hens when they stop producing eggs. You know nothing about them out me.

So stop questioning my motives and keep your opinions to your self. I asked for advise not your pointless I'm holier than you ****.

If you have a problem with criticism, then using the internet while being a vegan(ish) person might be a bit of a challenge.

I have never claimed to be vegan, but in actual fact vegetarian. Of which there is a difference.

I an trying to do the right thing and thought this forum m would help to guide.

Clearly not. This is one that will jump on your back the moment you even walk past a cafe and smell bacon cooking.

you'll have to excuse Clueless git.....he sometimes escapes from the vegan forum, and it's a heck of a job getting him back in.