Anti Baby boomer hate

@silva I’ve noticed the same thing.

But I think that when there’s a strong push for social change, it intensifies.

My parents are of the generation before Boomers. What are they called? I don’t even know because I’ve never heard people spewing hate at them.

They have told me about all the hate the Boomers got for the civil rights movement and the whole hippie thing.

Millenials seem to be getting the same thing.

It’s ironic that no one seems to recognize what those two generations have in common. There is a lot of common ground.

It’s just a matter of people of different ages not getting along.

Reactions: KLS52
Isn't it really just a different way of the older gen complaining about the younger ones?
My whole life, 60's born, I've heard complaints from the older gen about the younger ones. The younger gen always is touted as having things easier, of being lazier, not strict or disciplined enough. The younger generation is always thought of being the ones to bring society down, bring on evil things. Every. SIngle. Generation. Full of the crap of how the world is going to hell now that they're not the ones in power.

These days I think it's more prevelent because of the cool memes--like "OK Boomer". Heck, I use that one to people my own age all time!

It's just some people. There are so many kinds of some people
Yep, social media has exacerbated all the criticism.

I see the generalizations made, and dismissals for a whole group of people based on age, in media generally. It is really bad seeing racism in communication, and seeing sexism in communication, and it is bad seeing speciesism in communication, especially even seeing that among other vegans in their media groups. And seeing ageism is just as bad, and dismissal of an individual based on a whole age group along with it is that. Communication should be dealt with on its own merit regardless of the individual who communicates, as individuals are not all the same, and one individual is not really understood from what group, according to race, or sex, or age, that one is included in.

• Agree
Reactions: 1956
My parents are of the generation before Boomers. What are they called? I don’t even know because I’ve never heard people spewing hate at them.
Here in the USA they are called The Greatest Generation.

They lived thru the Great Depression. Fought in WW II. landed on the moon. Many of our best greatest inventions were produced by this generation. There were also great cultural and artisic accomplishments.
And they produced the Baby boomers.

I'm very disappointed in the baby boomers. (and I am one). we had a great start. we ended the Vietnam War, participated and fueled the civil rights movement of the 60s. Started the environmental movement too. but then nothing. I don't know what happened to us.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1956 and Amy SF
I'm a boomer. One thing that comes to mind is how awful us boomers were with recycling, so I am told. Yet, I remember when I was a kid we didn't have plastic bags, or very few of them. We used glass for everything back then too, as apposed to all the plastic now, and then we re-used those glass jars and bottles over and over. We also didn't rush out to buy a new TV when ours broke. Us boomers were more inclined to repair that old TV. We repaired everything we possibly could. We also didn't bring knives or guns to school, that I recall.

Every generation will have it's pros and cons. Sure, we could've done better as boomers. What's important is that the next generation learns from those previous generations mistakes, but sadly that isn't the case.

I think a lot of it had to do with growing pains. The world was changing. People were trying to find themselves while dealing with issues of the time.

Let us not forget the “Me Generation”. I think that might have been the start of the decline for us boomers.
“The 1960s are remembered as a time of political protests, radical experimentation with new cultural experiences (the Sexual Revolution, happenings, mainstream awareness of Eastern religions). The Civil Rights Movement gave rebellious young people serious goals to work towards. Cultural experimentation was justified as being directed toward spiritual or intellectual enlightenment. The 1970s, in contrast, were a time of disillusionment with idealistic politics among the young, particularly after the resignation of Richard Nixon and the end of the Vietnam War.”

“The development of a youth culture focusing so heavily on self-fulfillment was also perhaps a reaction against the traits that characterized the older generation, which had grown up during the Great Depression. That generation had learned values associated with self-sacrifice. The deprivations of the Depression had taught that generation to work hard, save money and not spend it; to cherish family and community ties. Loyalty to institutions, traditional religious faiths, and other common bonds were what that generation considered to be the cultural foundations of their country. Baby boomers gradually abandoned those values in large numbers, a development that was entrenched during the 1970s.”

You can read more here. It’s interesting.

I don’t believe we are where we are because of anything any one specific generation did. It’s a culmination of a lot of different things

• Love
Reactions: Amy SF and Lou
I thought the term Ok Boomer was designed to make fun of old conservatives, guess we might need to find something else.
Whatever the phrase was designed for, it is already a phrase of dismissing what one says, conservative or not, as if that dismissal without consideration of merit is justified. I see that online, to disregard what someone says on its own merits, when the one commicating it is known to be so much older, or if it is assumed that one is. Still besides this I see other ageist dismissive remarks with assumptions about others being another age, such as a child living with parents, living in a basement, or needing a nap time. In other words, I see ageist dismissal as a growing problem, such that anyone disagreeing in any way is more prone to be dismissed even in an abusive way with being put down with assumption of a certain age used as basis for it. This means there is less critique of statements on their own merits.