An expert panel's ranking of plant-based diets

^^^ Popular here, too. They just had a Lunch and Learn at my job yesterday through our Wellness Program about the Mediterranean Diet. I didn't go but received the information packet in my email.

Aren't Ornish and Engine 2 diets vegan? :confused:

I believe Ornish includes fish and the Engine 2 is vegan plus no processed foods or oils.
^^^ Popular here, too. They just had a Lunch and Learn at my job yesterday through our Wellness Program about the Mediterranean Diet. I didn't go but received the information packet in my email.

The Paleo diet seems to be the latest craze here.

I believe Ornish includes fish and the Engine 2 is vegan plus no processed foods or oils.

The Paleo diet seems to be the latest craze here.
Oh yeah, forgot about the Paleo diet. That's pretty popular here too.

I see some people describe themselves as paleo conservatives. I wonder if that's related somehow.

Mediterranean diets are the new 'in' thing. I was recently watching a morning show where there was some idiot hawking his new Mediterranean diet based book, and putting down the Forks over Knives diet as being too difficult and unrealistic to follow.
That sentiment drives me nuts. It may be "difficult" or "unrealistic" for people who choose a vegan diet for health reasons, but it's not if you are doing it for ethical reasons, at least in my experience. I know this isn't the case for everybody, but still, I think that's an unfair characteristic to assign to all people who choose a plant-based diet. I would have more trouble with the Ornish and Engine 2 diets because of the lack of oils and fats than a "typical" vegan diet. Grrrr.

Reactions: thefadedone
But how does it compare to other diets? Are vegans more or less likely to abandon their dietary choices?

I think deficiencies are more common in vegan diets, especially if you're not paying attention, so people are more likely to abandon them. Especially when even some in the vegan community spread vegan myths that they believe to be true. I mean go on a vegan message board and ask a ? about protein and prepare to get jumped on. I come from a family of hunters/farmers/big time meat eaters and when I went vegan there was no Internet so no information at my fingertips. I think I was probably deficient in key nutrients for a lot of years actually and didn't always feel that great, but since I'm one of "those" vegans who likes animals better than people, I couldn't go back. Though technically I don't consider myself vegan anymore because I don't worry about trace ingredients, I could never return to eating animal products.

I haven't read the article yet though. Will have to do that when I'm not about to keel over from lack of sleep.