Vegan All Things Pumpkin

http://www.thismamacooks.com/2011/10/four-ways-to-cook-a-fresh-pumpkin.html

How to cook a fresh pumpkin

Start with small pumpkins, about two to three pounds. The smaller pumpkins are easier to handle and sweeter in taste.
First, wash the pumpkins over running water and pat dry with a clean dish towel or paper towel. Next, cut the pumpkin into large chunks and scoop out all the seeds (save them for roasting!) and stringy bits.
There are several easy ways to cook the pumpkins chunks. Use whatever method is best for you.
Oven roasting pumpkin: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place pumpkin chunks, skin side up, in a glass baking dish. Add 1/4 inch of water and bake, uncovered, for 45-60 minutes (depending on chunk sizes) until flesh is tender, checking occasionally to add more water, if needed.
Microwaving pumpkin: Place pumpkin chunks, skin side up, in a glass baking dish. Add 1/4 inch of water and cover pan with plastic wrap or wax paper, and vent. Microwave on high for about 10 minutes (or about 5 minutes per pound) until pumpkin is tender.
Steaming pumpkin: Heat water to boiling in a saucepan that fits a steamer. Place pumpkin chunks in steamer container and place over pan. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
Cook pumpkin in a slow cooker: Place pumpkin chunks, skin side down, in slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until pumpkin is tender.
How to make fresh pumpkin puree

• For all methods after pumpkin is cooked, scoop out pulp and discard skin.
  • Pulp can be pureed in a blender or food processor or stirred by hand until smooth. Or you can keep it chunky, if desired.
  • Pulp keeps in the refrigerator for a week or it can also be frozen in airtight containers for six months.
  • A two to three pound pumpkin will make about 2-1/2 cups of puree.
How to make roasted pumpkin seeds

• Heat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Place seeds in a colander and rinse.
  • Pick out all pieces of pulp.
  • Place seeds on a baking sheet and pat dry.
  • Drizzle a little vegetable oil over seeds and sprinkle with some salt and toss.
  • Bake for 10 minutes, stir, and return to oven.
  • Bake another 10-15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes until golden and crispy.

Just saw this a little while ago, looks pretty interesting.
Pumpkin Mousse Brownies
photo.JPG

Reactions: KLS52
Mmmm....Must make.Is the cake mix vegan?

I think so?

INGREDIENTS
Sugar, unbleached enriched flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, may contain malted barley flour, enzymes, ascorbic acid [vitamin c {dough conditioner}]), leavening (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate), salt, soybean oil, vanilla bean specks, madagascar bourbon vanilla flavor, xanthan gum. Shares equipment with milk, eggs, tree nuts.

I think so?

INGREDIENTS
Sugar, unbleached enriched flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, may contain malted barley flour, enzymes, ascorbic acid [vitamin c {dough conditioner}]), leavening (sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium bicarbonate), salt, soybean oil, vanilla bean specks, madagascar bourbon vanilla flavor, xanthan gum. Shares equipment with milk, eggs, tree nuts.[/quote
I think so too.I checked in the non vegan ingredient list in the vegan forum and didn't see any of the more questionable ingredients on there.Thanks!

That looks so good. I love anything Alfredo.

Reactions: Freesia
Bump

http://www.bigredkitchen.com/2008/11/two-ingredients-pumpkin-cake-with-apple-cider-glaze/

This is not a pic of my cake but it looked exactly like this when I made it last weekend. I used Trader Joe's vanilla cake mix, not Dunkin Hines. It was really good...if you like pumpkin. And ridiculously easy.

I love this because it's so versatile. I've done this before using brownie mix and also spice cake mix. I am going to try to make it into cookies this weekend for my sister who has been craving pumpkin cookies. I'm too cheap to spend $4 on the pumpkin cookies from the bakery at the grocery store.:p I already have loads of canned pumpkin and box cake mixes in my cupboard anyways.

I like things made with actual pumpkin. Bread, cookies, pie, soup, etc.

I absolutely loathe the trend of making EVERYTHING (artificial) pumpkin flavored at this time of year. Seeing all the "pumpkin" products around makes me hate pumpkin a little bit.