Alex O'Connor no longer vegan

Humans are omnivores, end of story. Sure, we are descended from creatures who may have been primarily frugivorous, but that means nothing after hundreds of thousands of years of adaptation.
Not Hundreds of Thousands.
Millions.
But yeah.
Me nitpicking again. sorry.

I started looking around for some online recommendations of iron supplements, and ran into the carni crowd talking about how iron from animal sources was better. I wonder how they thought the iron got into the animal. Yes, the animal got it from plant sources.
Actually, that is true. Heme iron from animals is absorbed and put to use 3-4 times more efficiently by our bodies than non-heme iron.

But if you dig a little deeper - There are more adverse issues from eating animals than eating just plants, even considering the iron. The iron issue is more easily mitigated.

I was slightly anemic before become vegan and did take supplements. but really all I needed was a better diet.

Now I don't take a multi or an iron supplement. And my iron levels are better than they were before. One think I like to do is if I think I need an iron boost is to add dried apricots to my diet.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I just had all my blood tests for my yearly physical. I had been feeling a little tired, but assumed this was a normal part of aging. My blood test showed mild anemia.

I started looking around for some online recommendations of iron supplements, and ran into the carni crowd talking about how iron from animal sources was better. I wonder how they thought the iron got into the animal. Yes, the animal got it from plant sources.

I decided on Floravital iron + herbs. Two days later woke up at 6 am, had breakfast, and went for a walk. Felt great and my energy levels are up.

If he was not feeling good, he should have had a blood test done, and then added the necessary supplements to his daily routine.

I supplement with calcium, B12, B6, Vitamin K, D3, and iron. Everything, except, for the iron and B12, is to ward off future osteoporosis.

I think a simple blood test, followed by supplements, would have been the easiest fix.

I think an important thing is for us to not assume too much just yet.
Thank you so much for sharing this blog post. I have had the exact same worries she mentions regarding what it would mean if I/she had to eat eggs for example and she wrote it with clarity and brevity- straight to the point.
I gave with the mention of homeopathy, which is 100% scam. It doesn't and cannot work outside of placebo.

Reactions: Brian W
I gave with the mention of homeopathy, which is 100% scam. It doesn't and cannot work outside of placebo.
I'm a skeptic too but there has been instances where science backs up home remedies. I suppose it could be probability or cooincidence - you know even a broken clock is right twice a day. but I think it's more like hundreds or thousands of years of people's nature to investigate and experiment.

But yeah, for the most part Homeopathy does not work and can even be dangerous. Especially for people with real life threatening diseases.

On the other hand we should continue paying attenion to food being good medicine. Forks Over Knives.

Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
I'm a skeptic too but there has been instances where science backs up home remedies. I suppose it could be probability or cooincidence - you know even a broken clock is right twice a day. but I think it's more like hundreds or thousands of years of people's nature to investigate and experiment.

But yeah, for the most part Homeopathy does not work and can even be dangerous. Especially for people with real life threatening diseases.

On the other hand we should continue paying attenion to food being good medicine. Forks Over Knives.

I am not anti - home remedies. Of course many of them work. Given that asprin itself comes from the willow tree etc. I am not *against* placebo being used intelligently.
But homeopathy is a huge business. It's in the same category as super-expensive Hi-fi cables. i.e. Snake oil and a total scam.
I remember a James Randi special trying to prove homeopathy. With expected results...

Anecdotally, I personally have hay-fever. Every year I grab a few boxes of tablets and struggle through that part of summer when the pollen is high.
A few years ago I asked my SO to grab some whilst out shopping.

She came back with a big tub of tablets...I thought nothing of it. A day or 2 later I realise that the tablets were not helping at all. Sneezing, sore eyes, runny nose, the lot.
So I scanned the label.... "Take as many as you need" - I thought "wait, what? - Which medicine allows that??" - So I took more....Still no use...
I eventually re-scanned the label and saw the word "homeopathic".
They went straight in the bin where they belonged, I picked up some actual allergy medicine and I was miles better within 24 hours.

The "Take as many as needed" was because homeopathic medicine contains ZERO active ingredient. It relies on water molecules somehow having a "memory" of something that they were once mixed with. I would have been just as well treated with a magic spell.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W and silva
Wait! What? expensive Hi fi cables are a scam?
When I bought my last but oneTV, the salesman tried to sell me an expensive big name HDMI cable. I asked him why it cost 5x as much as the ones I already have...
"Deeper blacks".

"Tell me you don't understand digital media without saying you don't understand digital media."

When I bought my last but oneTV, the salesman tried to sell me an expensive big name HDMI cable. I asked him why it cost 5x as much as the ones I already have...
"Deeper blacks".

"Tell me you don't understand digital media without saying you don't understand digital media."
On my sister's new tv she had to get a more expensive HDMI cable. She did buy the less expensive one but it didn't work. Her tv is a smart TV and the expensive one allowed for ... I can't remember what it was called. Something to do with audio.

On my sister's new tv she had to get a more expensive HDMI cable. She did buy the less expensive one but it didn't work. Her tv is a smart TV and the expensive one allowed for ... I can't remember what it was called. Something to do with audio.
It will have been the version of hdmi. An older lead might not support HDMI 2.1. But an Amazon basics 2.1 lead works just as well as some fancy boutique brand cable...
I bet your sisters new TV is 4K and the old cable was a version that didn't support it :)

yes. it is 4 K but I think it was an audio issue
Quite possibly. The max sample rate went up with version 2.0 Modern TV with modern audio processing etc. (or the old one could be faulty)
Point being...ANY 2.1 cable would work. Of course it's best to get a nicely built one. But one from Amazon is the same audio/video experience as one from a Boutique brand...

Damn, I just found out about this. How discouraging. I was a fan of his before he was vegan and it was great to see him jump on the bandwagon and use his platform to speak out in his really thoughtful and eloquent way.

I guess some people just have a harder time going against the grain. I've never felt the least concerned I wasn't getting adequate nutrition on a vegan diet so I really can't relate to that, and despite his reputation for intellectual honesty I can only see that as an excuse.

I think he owes his viewers an explanation but I hope he doesn't give one. He can be really persuasive and I'd rather him not use that to convince people veganism is just too hard.

Damn, I just found out about this. How discouraging. I was a fan of his before he was vegan and it was great to see him jump on the bandwagon and use his platform to speak out in his really thoughtful and eloquent way.

I guess some people just have a harder time going against the grain. I've never felt the least concerned I wasn't getting adequate nutrition on a vegan diet so I really can't relate to that, and despite his reputation for intellectual honesty I can only see that as an excuse.

I think he owes his viewers an explanation but I hope he doesn't give one. He can be really persuasive and I'd rather him not use that to convince people veganism is just too hard.
I really hope he does give one. And it will be make or break for his reputation. His Youtube community post is weak... Not something I expected.
His explanation video if it comes ought to be interesting at the very least.
I would also like to see him share a mic with Ed Winters again...

Reactions: Sax
An update

Hmm. I'm not sure how to take this one.
Weirdly, it partly sounds like what happened to me to a degree... I always had an issue (prior to going vegan too) where I needed to be near a toilet if I was going to eat. I knew that within 10-30 mins I would absolutely need to go.

Of course this continued once I went vegan...stomach pains, and needing to be near a toilet...
Until I made a connection... One thing I rushed to make very early on was... Seitan. Yep, it's great stuff as a meat alternative, and it's also pure gluten!
I gave up gluten for a week and my issues disappeared... Who knew?
Turns out I am mildly gluten intolerant.
I'm not saying that's what he has... He should see a doctor for that, but his explanation is spookily close to my experiences.

As for his closing remarks about how people will react/ what they will think about the reaction. I agree. I already unsubscribed from a couple of vegan youtubers who took it too far.
Had I seen the vitriol before going vegan I might well not have made the jump.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
An update

As for his closing remarks about how people will react/ what they will think about the reaction. I agree. I already unsubscribed from a couple of vegan youtubers who took it too far.
Had I seen the vitriol before going vegan I might well not have made the jump.
I'm completely with you.

I'm completely with you.
Thanks.
The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that it would have set me on an opposite path.
I was a fan of Alex way before he(and of course I) went vegan. Had I been on the fence when some of the reaction videos came out, I have serious doubts I would have made that push. Prior to this, I was more inclined to support organisations such as "Compassion in world farming" and support organic, family run farms.
And for many people it is a big PUSH that is needed, especially when surrounded by meat, and here in Värmland, hunting enthusiasts (some of who I consider friends).
It would have been "That's what going vegan is? Erm, no thanks".
The reaction videos will quite possibly have done more damage to the cause than Alex's failure to follow it through.

Having looked at the vitriolic video reactions to Alex's video, I am so glad I don't identify as vegan online. It really has become an insidious cult.
I think it's the case of the loud minority having exponentially more influence than the vast majority.

Probably, but the loud minority are seen as the norm so we identify with them when we identify as vegan sadly.
Yeah, I still frequent /r/vegan and I am so depressed at some of them.
It's like Us v them and the slightest wandering off the path and you are just as bad as everyone else.

:(

• Agree