Abrahamic Religions and Veganism

No it doesn't. It simply says you shouldn't condemn any diet because the Gospel isn't about food.
What about food restrictions that all of the abrahamic religions agree on? Like pork especially, or shellfish etc. theres are some sects that focus on plant based foods, like 7th day adventists and pescatarians.

What about food restrictions that all of the abrahamic religions agree on? Like pork especially, or shellfish etc. theres are some sects that focus on plant based foods, like 7th day adventists and pescatarians.
Oh yes, the OT. I was thinking of the NT where Jesus said it isn't what goes into a person that defiles him, but what comes out of him, explaining that sin is about attitudes and not food. Paul also says that all things can be eaten, but not if it goes against an individual's conscience.

Bible Gateway passage: Romans 14 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Mark 7:14-20 - New International Version

Last edited:
Reactions: vesper818

Oh yes, the OT. I was thinking of the NT where Jesus said it isn't what goes into a person that defiles him, but what comes out of him, explaining that sin is about attitudes and not food. Paul also says that all things can be eaten, but not if it goes against an individual's conscience.

Mark 7:15 Nothing that enters a man from the outside can defile him; but the things that come out of a man, these are what defile him."
1 Timothy 4:3 They will prohibit marriage and require abstinence from certain foods that God has created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.
Romans 14 BSB
I agree that it's not all about food, being a good person is in the heart, it's making kind choices. All holy book say you shouldnt eat pigs. I think people are quick to pick and choose versus, so we all are unsure Lol, but the majority agrees on this

I agree that it's not all about food, being a good person is in the heart, it's making kind choices. All holy book say you shouldnt eat pigs. I think people are quick to pick and choose versus, so we all are unsure Lol, but the majority agrees on this
As a Christian, I am only interested in what Jesus and his apostles say on the subject, not the Old Testament law. If I still ate meat, I would happily eat pork and bacon as it was always my favourite.

As a Christian, I am only interested in what Jesus and his apostles say on the subject, not the Old Testament law. If I still ate meat, I would happily eat pork and bacon as it was always my favourite.
What you eat doesnt define you as a person, I belive your a very thoughtful person. I studied religion for years, so I'd like to share something I learned from Islam and Judaism. Focus on God, dont elevate, or compare, anyone to god, there is only one god. To me there is a god, or there isnt

the fact of the matter is that the bible, while having a few places here and there that're vegan, overall isn't vegan at all and asks people not to be vegan - so it's a false premise from the start. Vegans really should avoid reading the bible if they don't want to be offended by its non-vegan nature - it has anywhere from animal sacrifice to eating animals. The bible has laid the foundation for more animal eating than any other book I know and gives religious followers non-denouncable justification for their meat eating habits.
Both old & new testaments are like pit bulls and guns. It isn't the book that's bad, but the people who use it.

asks people not to be vegan
No it doesn't. It simply says you shouldn't condemn any diet because the Gospel isn't about food.

it says that too - but that doesn't disprove what I said.

It disproves what you said because the Gospel is not about food, therefore your food preference isn't important. You cannot find in the Bible one passage that asks us not to be vegan. I challenge you to find such a passage. I have been a Christian for over twenty years now and I am very well versed in the New Testament and have a pretty good knowledge of the Old as well and I have never come across such a teaching.

Reactions: silva

I think it’s fair to say that since it’s a vast and highly varied text, there is something within it that can be taken out of context to advocate for or against just about anything.

As a huge generalization, Christianity and Judaism are based on interpretation of the text, especially by those who have dedicated their lives to studying it. People aren’t worshipping the Bible by itself. The beliefs are based on interpretations and associated traditions.

I don’t know as much about Islam and the other Abrahamic faiths.
I was raised Christian, I am now an atheist, but I have enjoyed learning about different religions and ideas in my life. I feel it's an interesting topic that gives us a better understanding and respect for one another. I value and respect everyones opinion on the topic, I would never want to offend anyone

Reactions: bEt
It disproves what you said because the Gospel is not about food, therefore your food preference isn't important. You cannot find in the Bible one passage that asks us not to be vegan. I challenge you to find such a passage. I have been a Christian for over twenty years now and I am very well versed in the New Testament and have a pretty good knowledge of the Old as well and I have never come across such a teaching.
the bible is all about food - especially when it came to adam and eve eating the apple. For the non-vegan part - when someone commits a crime - an animal would be punished for it - like in Ezekiel 45 as a sin offering. Here's one passage about sin and burnt offerings using animals and call it 'atonement': Leviticus 16. I believe it's written as law for cohen to follow for even peace offerings: Leviticus 7. There's also some 'eye for an eye' stances in Leviticus 24. There's places if an animal does something bad to a person - they are killed - which isn't vegan - as the animal doesn't have to be killed - but moved to an area out of harm's way.

For the non-vegan part - when someone commits a crime - an animal would be punished for it - like in Ezekiel 45 as a sin offering. Here's one passage about sin and burnt offerings using animals and call it 'atonement': Leviticus 16. I believe it's written as law for cohen to follow for even peace offerings: Leviticus 7. There's also some 'eye for an eye' stances in Leviticus 24. There's places if an animal does something bad to a person - they are killed - which isn't vegan - as the animal doesn't have to be killed - but moved to an area out of harm's way.
Sacrifice is not food and besides, the Bible is clearly a progressive revelation of God and later passages say such things as "I demand mercy, not sacrifice" The only sacrifice that matters to Christians is the sacrifice of Jesus that no animal could ever be. It's so easy to find faults if you look for them, especially in a collection of books that is about human beings.

Sacrifice is not food and besides, the Bible is clearly a progressive revelation of God and later passages say such things as "I demand mercy, not sacrifice" The only sacrifice that matters to Christians is the sacrifice of Jesus that no animal could ever be. It's so easy to find faults if you look for them, especially in a collection of books that is about human beings.
if you believe that veganism is only about food, I don't think there's much more to say.

What apple? They ate the "fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil" That's not an apple, it's a metaphor, as is most of Genesis.
it's easy to pick at examples, but I've seen an entire list of foods mentioned in the bible here: Beyond Animal - Where investors and vegan businesses meet . I don't believe every food is a metaphor in there. Also, I don't believe that the fruit of the tree of knowledge is a metaphor - as it hasn't been proven to be that. I mean the tree of knowledge hasn't been discovered either - so we can't definitely say either way. I guess I was incorrect in that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Genesis 1:29
Then Elohim said, “Behold, I have given you every seed-bearing plant on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit contains seed. They will be yours for food.

Romans 14:21

It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

1 Corinthians 8:13
Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.

Reactions: vesper818
Oh my goodness, what a lot of cherry-picking. The Christian Bible contains contradictory statements regarding the treatment of animals (and on other topics, also). The Book of Leviticus includes detailed instructions for animal sacrifice.

Leviticus 1:3 to 1:9, Holy Bible:

"1:3 “‘If his offering is a burnt offering from the herd he must present it as a flawless male; he must present it at the entrance of the Meeting Tent for its acceptance before the Lord. 1:4 He must lay his hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it will be accepted for him to make atonement on his behalf. 1:5 Then the one presenting the offering must slaughter the bull before the Lord, and the sons of Aaron, the priests, must present the blood and splash the blood against the sides of the altar which is at the entrance of the Meeting Tent. 1:6 Next, the one presenting the offering must skin the burnt offering and cut it into parts, 1:7 and the sons of Aaron, the priest, must put fire on the altar and arrange wood on the fire. 1:8 Then the sons of Aaron, the priests, must arrange the parts with the head and the suet on the wood that is in the fire on the altar. 1:9 Finally, the one presenting the offering must wash its entrails and its legs in water and the priest must offer all of it up in smoke on the altar – it is a burnt offering, a gift of a soothing aroma to the Lord."

Link: Leviticus 1:3 Context: "'If his offering is a burnt offering from the herd, he shall offer a male without blemish. He shall offer it at the door of the Tent of Meeting, that he may be accepted before Yahweh.

Here's another lovely verse, also from the Book of Leviticus, Holy Bible:

Leviticus 1:14 to 1:17

" 14‘But if his offering to the LORD is a burnt offering of birds, then he shall bring his offering from the turtledoves or from young pigeons. 15‘The priest shall bring it to the altar, and wring off its head and offer it up in smoke on the altar; and its blood is to be drained out on the side of the altar. 16‘He shall also take away its crop with its feathers and cast it beside the altar eastward, to the place of the ashes. 17‘Then he shall tear it by its wings, but shall not sever it. And the priest shall offer it up in smoke on the altar on the wood which is on the fire; it is a burnt offering, an offering by fire of a soothing aroma to the LORD."

Link: Leviticus 1:3 Context: "'If his offering is a burnt offering from the herd, he shall offer a male without blemish. He shall offer it at the door of the Tent of Meeting, that he may be accepted before Yahweh.