Abrahamic Religions and Veganism

I am leaving VF because I am going to be getting angry about people making judgements about something they have zero knowledge of simply on the basis of not wanting to know. It's like carnivores posting their ignorant opinions in a vegan forum when they could easily just stay out of the conversation if it makes them feel uncomfortable. I cannot stay out of this because I am a Christian and it is important to me but the ignorance that is going to infiltrate the thread is too much. The only way I can stay with VF is if this thread was part of an opt-in forum that I opt out of.

I’m sorry. I’ll take my posts down.

I am religious and I meant those comments as a joke. My family is religious and we make similar jokes all the time.

I understand that it comes across differently out of context, in print, with a larger audience.

I like your posts. I didn’t mean for this thread to be critical of any religion. I hope there’s a solution.

This view of the bible comes from a misunderstanding of the cultures and languages in which it is written and of the whole picture and often from second hand reports of what the bible says because you have not read it for yourself
I’ve actually read the entire Bible.

I’ve deleted my commentary. I have kept my direct quotes of the Bible. Some of the words and actions of God, as described in the Bible, are undeniably and unnecessarily violent.

Reactions: Urban Gardener
I’ve deleted my commentary. I have kept my direct quotes of the Bible. Some of the words and actions of God, as described in the Bible, are undeniably and unnecessarily violent.

I think it’s fair to say that since it’s a vast and highly varied text, there is something within it that can be taken out of context to advocate for or against just about anything.

As a huge generalization, Christianity and Judaism are based on interpretation of the text, especially by those who have dedicated their lives to studying it. People aren’t worshipping the Bible by itself. The beliefs are based on interpretations and associated traditions.

I don’t know as much about Islam and the other Abrahamic faiths.

Reactions: Stardust1986
Launching this thread for the broad purpose of discussing the theology of Abrahamic religions as it relates to veganism. The premise is that the Abrahamic religions generally support veganism.

Point 1 to NYC Gardender: Hey Gardener. Can’t agree with your premise. I would say that generally no Abrahamic religions actually support veganism. They might tolerate it in the same way many Christians now tolerate practicing homosexuals or divorce and remarriage. Or perhaps they have an inclusive or welcoming attitude. By any definition to support means to actively promote.

I am leaving VF because I am going to be getting angry about people making judgements about something they have zero knowledge of simply on the basis of not wanting to know.

Point 2 to Brian: Hey Brian. Lighten up man. Try to see the jokes when they are so obviously jokes. And try to understand what people are actually trying to say before offering what appear to be reprimands like you gave my post on page 121 in the covid thread.

Point 3 to the World. Hey World. This promising thread quickly turned into a bible class with a poor attendance and acrimonious atmosphere.

Point 4 to Roger: Hey Roger. What are you doing here? You know that “God said” really means “Mankind said” because all this stuff originated with ourselves trying to find a way forward in a wicked world. It’s all very interesting from a sociological perspective but always remember that there is nobody there.

Point 5: Completely off topic but I must tell my second favourite all time religion joke which I stole from playwright Dominic Behan:
Catholics are devout.
Protestants are staunch.
Atheists are convinced.
But agnostics just aren’t sure.

Roger.

I think we’d do better with a separate thread for each religion. I was just trying to consolidate, and I wasn’t sure how much interest there would be.

@Freesia I agree.

And I hope we can stay on topic and avoid excessive judgment from people whose beliefs differ from those under discussion.

Older religions are easily misunderstood because they tend to include texts from very different times in history. The tradeoff is that they also include wisdom that has been accumulated through the ages and is still valuable today.

Take it or leave it - it’s not for everyone, and that’s ok.

Reactions: David3 and Freesia
Maybe the problem is that there isn't much to go around, since the Bible is not intrinsically against veganism. "When Adam delved and Eve span", what was on the menu?!
On the the other side, since it doesn't prohibit animal products, there aren't much arguments in it to force Christians to become vegans en mass.
So it all boils down to individual conscience and choice, like with everyone else.

Last edited:
I think we’d do better with a separate thread for each religion. I was just trying to consolidate, and I wasn’t sure how much interest there would be.
Or maybe to make the reasonableness of Christianity, or any other religion for that matter, a different topic from its support to veganism. Even though there were some good points raised on the first, maybe it's better to discuss them separately.

None of the religions in question are based solely on the Bible (as they are commonly practiced). There is actually a lot to discuss about how they relate or don’t relate to veganism.

Make the reasonableness of various religions a separate topic? No, I don’t attack or judge other people’s beliefs and cultures. We need to get rid of that mentality, not encourage it.

None of the religions in question are based solely on the Bible (as they are commonly practiced). There is actually a lot to discuss about how they relate or don’t relate to veganism.

Make the reasonableness of various religions a separate topic? No, I don’t attack or judge other people’s beliefs and cultures. We need to get rid of that mentality, not encourage it.
Then people shouldn't discuss it in a topic that is not about it.

However while no one showed an incompatibility between vegan diet and Christianity there might be regarding vegan philosophy. Vegans, who are not simply dietary, tend to see things in black and white, hardcore Christians too, and both think they have the duty to convert the world. The Bible is not black and white but the Christian narrative allows Christians to navigate through the contradictions something the vegan narrative does not. At the philosophical level, or as system of beliefs, both may be incompatible.

Not to re-start any controversy.
Full disclosure: My parents are Jews so ethnically I'm Jewish but I don't believe in that or any other religion.
I did watch a documentary, A Prayer For Compassion, about Veganism and religions. I thought it was thorough but also boring.

I am not sure I believe in God, but I am pretty much anti-religions. So I don't think anything in the Old Testament can be a good premise in any argument.

IMHO, philosophically, veganism is a valid belief system.

I thought this article was interesting.

the fact of the matter is that the bible, while having a few places here and there that're vegan, overall isn't vegan at all and asks people not to be vegan - so it's a false premise from the start. Vegans really should avoid reading the bible if they don't want to be offended by its non-vegan nature - it has anywhere from animal sacrifice to eating animals. The bible has laid the foundation for more animal eating than any other book I know and gives religious followers non-denouncable justification for their meat eating habits.

Launching this thread for the broad purpose of discussing the theology of Abrahamic religions as it relates to veganism. The premise is that the Abrahamic religions generally support veganism. This is, of course, a vast topic and very much open to debate.
From my knowledge, all of the Abrahamic religions encouraged animal sacrifices for special occasions, only pork and shellfish are considered forbidden. However, I dont know of any religion that opposes veganism. I think its important to note that the environmental and living situation was much different during those times, their were less people, and food was more scarce. The muslim people celebrate Ramadan, in which they try to eat healthy (fruits especially) when breaking fast

From my knowledge, all of the Abrahamic religions encouraged animal sacrifices for special occasions, only pork and shellfish are considered forbidden. However, I dont know of any religion that opposes veganism. I think its important to note that the environmental and living situation was much different during those times, their were less people, and food was more scarce. The muslim people celebrate Ramadan, in which they try to eat healthy (fruits especially) when breaking fast
I would say the abrahamic religion opposes veganism in some extent - or at least in some point in time when it came to animal sacrifices. I bet animal sacrifice-based religions would oppose vegans, as they wouldn't participate in their religion enough - which would anger the god(s) they worship, along with everyone else in that religion trying to follow it - as they'd be diluting the religion and making everyone else angry.

I would say the abrahamic religion opposes veganism in some extent - or at least in some point in time when it came to animal sacrifices. I bet animal sacrifice-based religions would oppose vegans, as they wouldn't participate in their religion enough - which would anger the god(s) they worship, along with everyone else in that religion trying to follow it - as they'd be diluting the religion and making everyone else angry.
I agree, if you didnt participate in a ritual that was supposed to be a sacrifice to god, people could become angry, and see your choice as obstinate and rebellious against god. Those same people eat very little meat, but cultural traditions would be very hard to change, however, they do change in time

Reactions: digitarian
I agree, if you didnt participate in a ritual that was supposed to be a sacrifice to god, people could become angry, and see your choice as obstinate and rebellious against god. Those same people eat very little meat, but cultural traditions would be very hard to change, however, they do change in time