A happy story about cats and microchipping

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Our neighbourhood is teeming with cats in all shapes and colours, but yesterday we noticed an unfamiliar cat on the path outside our house. In the evening as we returned home from Freya's birthday celebration, the new cat came up to us to say hello, and followed us to the door. As I opened the door, she ventured inside without hesitation. She had a collar and seemed well cared for. Freya was ecstatic because she's obsessed with cats, so this was probably the best birthday present she could have had. Cat turned out to be quite friendly, though at first not crazy about being chased by a cat-obsessed one-year old. She stayed with us all night, only interrupted by one trip outside. It was raining and cold outside, so I can see why she didn't particularly want to leave.

Cat did seem above averagely interested in our refrigerator, so I'm assuming she was hungry. We're all vegans in our household, so unfortunately for cat we didn't have any suitable food on offer.

It got late and we went to bed. Although cat was initially sitting comfortably on a cushioned chair next to a radiator, this changed when the heating was turned off .... To make a long story short, it got to be a long night for me, shooing cat, the purring machine, out of my bed and trying to persuade her to sleep elsewhere! It's very endearing, but I'm not getting much sleep as it is these days!

In the morning Jen called one of the local vets and arranged for cat to come in later so they could check for a microchip, hoping she could be IDed and reunited with her real home. Although I didn't have much hope for the microchip idea, I thought it would be worth ruling out before we took other measures to find her family. The vets let us borrow a cage, into which I managed to put cat despite much protest. The vets were really helpful, and it didn't take them long to find a microchip on her and figure out her home address. They didn't manage to contact her family while I was there, but I left cat with the vets so she could get some food and hopefully be collected very soon. Also left my phone number so hopefully I will soon have confirmation that she has been reunited with her people :)

IMG_0022.JPGIMG_0023.JPG
Edit: In the picture on the right it kinda looks like cat is saying "Stop following me around, you little nutter!"

A relieved kitty,after seeing that she ended up with a bunch of vegans and a mini stalker.

Oh, seriously that was a nice gesture taking the mite in for the night.:yes:

Both my cats are microchipped, as well as collared and tagged. It gives me a lot of piece of mind to know they have two forms of identification, as it were, especially as they are strictly indoor cats. My local shelter has started microchipping all animals that are adopted out, which I think it great, particularly for those instances where a new animal gets spooked and takes off from it's home.

Reactions: Tom L.
Both my cats are microchipped, as well as collared and tagged. It gives me a lot of piece of mind to know they have two forms of identification, as it were, especially as they are strictly indoor cats. My local shelter has started microchipping all animals that are adopted out, which I think it great, particularly for those instances where a new animal gets spooked and takes off from it's home.

The shelter we adopted Ivy from microchips all its animals, and insists that you have to have a collar with an ID tag to put on them before you take them home. Common sense, really.

I hope the kitty finds her way home! It's awesome that you took her in for the night. Also, I love that your daughter is obsessed with cats! I was at that age. Poor neighborhood cats... :blush:

Reactions: shyvas
Lovely story! We had pretty much the exact same thing happen (also with an affectionate little female tortie), only difference being she had a huge tick on her. We have always had cats anyway so we might have just let her stay with us if it wasn't for the tick, she was so skinny and hungry and had no collar (thankfully we had a plentiful supply of cat food). We took her to the vet to get the tick off and the vet checked for a microchip and she was chipped! Turns out her home was miles away and she'd been missing for weeks (hence the skinny/ hungry) iirc we took her back home and let her owners come pick her up from our house and they were so delighted to be reunited with her! Now I would always check that any stray cat is microchipped as my two refuse to wear collars (they can get them off in about 10 minutes flat!) and i would hope that if they somehow got lost, whoever found them would check their chips!