A great way to waste 4 years and a $100K+ education

She won't get another job in a pharmacy with a felony and/or drug record, period. There's a good reason for that.

I agree with that - as a drug addict (even if she may be an ex-drug addict one day), a pharmacy isn't a good place for her to work.

But it would be better for society if we could provide decent full time jobs for felons (as well as for everyone else who wants a job).

Reactions: yally
If I ran a business I would hire ex-felons. Nonviolent ones anyway. Though I admit I wouldn't hire one to work with drugs or money.

Reactions: KLS52
I have to say, the title of this thread irks me.

Its not like she went to University, got herself into debt and thought '**** it...ima get addicted to drugs...that sounds like a larf'

Addiction is not something a person chooses to do.

If I ran a business I would hire ex-felons. Nonviolent ones anyway. Though I admit I wouldn't hire one to work with drugs or money.
I have to admit I would be a little leery to hire an ex-felon, unless the conviction was for something non-violent and not for theft. I don't think US prison changes people for the better in most cases. :(

I've known a few people who have been in prison, partly because of one of my jobs, and they are just normal people. Quite a few young men end up in prison because of their life circumstances, usually a combination of bad parenting and joblessness IMO, and end up making rash decisions in the heat of the moment.

I've known a few people who have been in prison, partly because of one of my jobs, and they are just normal people. Quite a few young men end up in prison because of their life circumstances, usually a combination of bad parenting and joblessness IMO, and end up making rash decisions in the heat of the moment.
But would that person be as good or trustworthy an employee as someone who also may have had had bad circumstances and didn't make a rash decision like that? Idk. It would certainly be up to the individual case, though; I would interview ex-felons, but they would have a black mark until they erased it in the interview.

But would that person be as good or trustworthy an employee as someone who also may have had had bad circumstances and didn't make a rash decision like that? Idk. It would certainly be up to the individual case, though; I would interview ex-felons, but they would have a black mark until they erased it in the interview.

Yes. I think it would be taken individually. There were certainly young people I knew, especially kids that had been in foster care, that drifted into crime like credit card fraud and drug dealing and I don't think that would have happened if they had a family network to fall back on or a chance at a job.:(

It really is hard to know if you should give someone a chance or not.

I once let one of my daughter's friends stay with us after getting out of jail for a number of things, since his only options were to live with meth addicts or be homeless. He did very well with us, held a job the entire time and didn't cause any problems.

Another one though, who was a nice as could be and was believable as not wanting to fall back into anything criminal, stole my atm card, emptied what was in there and 'borrowed' the brakes from my car. I was lucky I noticed some nuts and bolts by a tire and decided to see where they came from, before driving the car. He said he felt bad about it afterward and said he would get the money to pay back every penny and fix my car. He was later arrested driving around with a gun. I still get sick to my stomach when I think about what he might have been planning to do to get the money to pay me back.

I have to admit I would be a little leery to hire an ex-felon, unless the conviction was for something non-violent and not for theft. I don't think US prison changes people for the better in most cases. :(

A big reason for that is that when criminals come out of prison, they find it very difficult to get a job. And when you can't get a job, your option is frequently beg, borrow or steal... and if you have no prospects of earning money honestly (because nobody will hire a criminal), where is the incentive to not steal?

Reactions: das_nut