A great way to waste 4 years and a $100K+ education

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130122-NEWS-130129933.

Only 25 years old. Is any pharmacy going to ever hire her?
Very poor decison making skills...

I doubt any pharmacy will ever hire her, and she'll probably have trouble getting hired for retail or anything dealing with money, with a record of theft. If she's convicted of the felony, there goes just about every other job (once she gets out of prison).

It's crazy to throw away everything for a handful of pills.

I went to Walgreens several times when I was in the U.S.

Hopefully this is her rock bottom, and she will overcome her addiction. Oxycodone is an extremely addictive opioid, and, in the US, available in tiny, easily crushable (thus snortable) tablets in extremely strong dosages. Recently there has been a crackdown because illegal sales and transport of the drug from Florida to other states became apparent to law enforcement. This addiction is like heroin; rapid detox and methadone or suboxone therapies are used.

/rant, sorry, pet peeve. :oops: So many addicted babies are born here from women who can't kick it, stealing pills from a pharmacy sadly seems almost ho-hum. :(

If she's convicted of the felony, there goes just about every other job (once she gets out of prison).

This is a problem with the US criminal justice system. While I understand the hesitation in hiring a convicted felon, what sort of outcome should we expect when felons can't find jobs?

This is a problem with the US criminal justice system. While I understand the hesitation in hiring a convicted felon, what sort of outcome should we expect when felons can't find jobs?
Maybe that people will think it's not a good idea to become a felon?

Or that there is no other alternative than going back to the life as a criminal?

Well since that is one viable alternative, anyone dumb enough to go ahead and commit a felony, knowing they will be marked by it for life, is probably too dumb to hold a job for any length of time anyway.

You do have to have some kind of deterrent, like the idea that committing felonies can ruin you for life, in order to potentially make people think twice before committing them. The fact that such a deterrent doesn't stop everyone isn't down to failure of the deterrent, it's down to the lack of intelligence of the people who fail to take it into consideration.

In an employment marketplace where there are more people seeking jobs than there are jobs, I continue to have more sympathy for those who are bypassed because they are no longer young, are overly qualified, not physically attractive, or any of the other myriad of reasons why people are bypassed for factors over which they have no control, than I do for people who have stolen from prior employers.

This woman will only be barred from those jobs where a criminal background check is performed. As long as she breaks her drug habit before it shows on her features, she'll have a better chance of getting a job than a middle aged woman or a woman of color.

Well since that is one viable alternative, anyone dumb enough to go ahead and commit a felony, knowing they will be marked by it for life, is probably too dumb to hold a job for any length of time anyway.

You do have to have some kind of deterrent, like the idea that committing felonies can ruin you for life, in order to potentially make people think twice before committing them. The fact that such a deterrent doesn't stop everyone isn't down to failure of the deterrent, it's down to the lack of intelligence of the people who fail to take it into consideration.

Haha, oh man, that's a good one.

That's what I'm hoping you're doing.

She could always go work at Villalobos.

She won't get another job in a pharmacy with a felony and/or drug record, period. There's a good reason for that.