52 days in - Cholesterol is UP 2 points!!

Lisa Blanchard

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
My husband and I started in December on a plant based diet. NO oils. I had my blood lipids tested on Tuesday and it came back 2 points higher than before i started. How can that even be right? I've lost 10 lbs, feel really good, not eating oil (except for avocados and peanut butter). I'm crushed. I truly thought i'd see a change. Is this normal?

I tested my cholesterol when starting a vegan diet (previously ate meat and dairy) and again a year later. Here are the results with the first being at the start and the second being a year later. I was suprised to see total cholesterol increasing.

Colesterol Total
109 119
Colesterol HDL
37 45
Colesterol LDL
60 66
Colesterol VLDL
12 8
Trigliceridos
61 41
Relacion COL/HDL
2,9 2,6

A possible reason is that I didn't eat a strict vegan diet so there may be some small amounts of cholesterol in some products I ate, especially during the early transition phase. However, I doubt this is it, because these amounts are likely minute.

Although a plant-based diet contains litlte or no cholesterol, the body can make cholesterol from fat. That would be my guess as to what happened in my case.

The big question here is are you within normal limits. If so, I would not worry about it. The body may need some cholesterol as long as it is not in excess.

If you are above average for a cholesterol, this is more concerning.

Also, your period of time is quite short for a big change, and you may have measured a day to day or week to week fluctuation without realising (I don't know if this can happen or not, just a guess).

So, if you within normal range and are not at particular risk for heart/artery issues, try again after a year.

If you have had previous heart issues or are at a dangerous level, then see a professional right away of course.

Good luck!

Reactions: bratvada
Doesn't cholesterol takes years and years to build up? A test after a month or two I am not convinced about.

Reactions: bratvada