US 3 people dead, over 280 injured from explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon

I wouldn't wear these (or similar) hats anytime soon:

tumblr_mlh2ffUtGw1qz6f9yo1_r1_250.png
tumblr_mlh2ffUtGw1qz6f9yo2_r1_250.png

Quality isn't the best, but the message is great. As a New England native, I can vouch for the fact that we are tougher than folks may give us credit for.

Absolutely..... I was born, raised and lived in Massachusetts for 41 years. Baystaters are tough.... I am compassionate but will kick your a$$ if you deserve it...

I hope they get the person(s) responsible for this behind bars soon....

Reactions: thefadedone
Boston Bombing Victim in Iconic Photo Helped Identify Attackers
[...]

Just before 3 p.m. on April 15, Bauman was waiting among the crowd for his girlfriend to cross the finish line at the Boston Marathon. A man wearing a cap, sunglasses and a black jacket over a hooded sweatshirt looked at Jeff, 27, and dropped a bag at his feet, his brother, Chris Bauman, said in an interview.

Two and a half minutes later, the bag exploded, tearing Jeff’s legs apart. A picture of him in a wheelchair, bloodied and ashen, was broadcast around the world as he was rushed to Boston Medical Center. He lost both legs below the knee.

“He woke up under so much drugs, asked for a paper and pen and wrote, ‘bag, saw the guy, looked right at me,’” Chris Bauman said yesterday in an interview.

[...]

It is quite strange, a police scanner is broadcasting it and it is basically happening live via media and twitter feeds, you tube etc.

A video of the shooting was uploaded to Facebook. It can be found here (naughty language). You don't actually see anybody, but you hear small arms fire and cops yelling. You also hear the dude who shot the video.

According to the Boston Globe via Twitter, "One Marathon bombing suspect has been caught, and another is on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with police, officials said."

An article has been written.
WATERTOWN — One suspect in Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings has been captured, according to an official with knowledge of the investigation. Another remains on the loose in Watertown after a firefight with police. Authorities have established a 20-block perimeter as they search for him.

NewsBreaker @NewsBreakerBREAKING: @BostonGlobe: 1 Marathon bombing suspect caught; another on the loose in Watertown after firefight w/ police, officials said.2:24 AM - 19 Apr 2013

So they are the suspects. Originally the headline was just that there was a shooting but no other information. I am glad that one has been caught and I hope they catch the other one.

It seems that one of the suspects may be of Indian descent. Which doesnt surprise me personally as as soon as I read that it was a pressure cooker bomb I had a feeling it could be someone from India or Pakistan. People use pressure cookers a lot there to cook lentils and beans, they are a very common household item. Here you cant actually buy pressure cookers except for in the Indian grocers. It was a feeling I had intially, anyway.

The suspect of Indian descent is allegedly the missing Brown University student.

Pressure cookers are a common household item here.

The article I linked in my earlier post has been modified, and the reference to two suspects being in custody has been deleted.

Maybe they are. I just associate them with India and the Middle East because nobody has them here. Pretty much no European or Maori people do anyway, and you cant even get them in cookware shops. Only Indians generally use them. But that could be to do with people here being obsessed with making mashed potato and peas and pies for dinner.

We always had a couple in the house - my mother (German) did a lot of canning. Anyone who cans food has them, and a lot of people use them for cooking. My ex husband liked to make roast in his. There are entire cookbooks devoted to pressure cooker recipes. They're sold everywhere that small appliances are sold.