12 killed, 50 wounded at Aurora movie theater

I think the sling close to the body is actually a wonderfully comforting and nurturing way to manage infants.
I hardly ever used strollers or infant seats or cribs. Slings, back carriers, and plain old arms most of the time. So the babies were used to sleeping where mom is anyway. Sad yet amusing that I still feel the need to defend my parenting of infants although I raised two to adulthood, and my specialty as an RN is maternal-newborn care. Lol.

Edit: I can't find any information on cotton being harmful to a baby's ears. Harvard Medical School says it is okay. But they could choke on earplugs!

"Noise The plane is a noisy environment. Placing cotton balls in your baby’s ears can help to muffle the sound. Do not use ear plugs because your baby could choke on them. You can find ear muffs especially made for infants for sale on the internet."
http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/HolisticHealth/KidsandTeensHealth.aspx?ChunkID=598940

Reactions: jeneticallymodified
I don't think there is a person in this thread who does not feel an immense amount of sympathy for all of the victims of this tragedy, but perhaps some of us feel an even greater amount of sympathy for those victims who shouldn't have been there to begin with. As I said in my original post it is not the practice I was questioning, but the choice. We're talking about a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises, the very first screening on opening morning, in a packed theater, all seats taken, huge crowds, you and your baby waiting in long lines, being bumped and pushed around by strangers. It seems quite obvious to me that the comfort of their baby came secondary to wanting to see Batman on opening day... and their actions after-the-fact certainly bear this out. The couples I know in real life who would take their baby to a movie, would have waited a few weeks until the crowds were smaller, chosen a more appropriate time, and/or sought out a different film in a mostly empty theater.

That's not good.

Whoever "encouraged" her to leave should reflect on their debate tactics.

I don't think anyone encouraged her to leave. But I think she told someone to shut up. (I think posts might have been edited though so I can't check).

But 2 people on this board have outright told me to leave. I guess you have to have a tough skin for disagreement and how others respond to disagreement on message boards.

Reactions: AspireToExpire
I don't think there is a person in this thread who does not feel an immense amount of sympathy for all of the victims of this tragedy, but perhaps some of us feel an even greater amount of sympathy for those victims who shouldn't have been there to begin with. As I said in my original post it is not the practice I was questioning, but the choice. We're talking about a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises, the very first screening on opening morning, in a packed theater, all seats taken, huge crowds, you and your baby waiting in long lines, being bumped and pushed around by strangers. It seems quite obvious to me that the comfort of their baby came secondary to wanting to see Batman on opening day... and their actions after-the-fact certainly bear this out. The couples I know in real life who would take their baby to a movie, would have waited a few weeks until the crowds were less, chosen a more appropriate time, and/or sought out a different film in a mostly empty theater.

I totally agree. Regardless of what sadly happened, young children should not have been in the theatre screening a violent film ending at 2.30 am.
I even wonder how the little girl who was 6 managing to get a ticket as I would have thought that the film was a PG 13.

I totally agree. Regardless of what sadly happened, young children should not have been in the theatre screening a violent film ending at 2.30 am.
I even wonder how the little girl who was 6 managing to get a ticket as I would have thought that the film was a PG 13.
An adult in the US can legally buy a ticket to even an R-rated movie for any age child. I'm sure there were other families seeing the premiere of this comic book movie together at midnight in other theaters around the country. A very special event, unless you are unlucky enough to be in the theatre with a maniac.

I watched a TV news show about the victims yesterday, and it was so sad. It is so scary to think of, but it could have been in any theatre, at any time of day.

An adult in the US can legally buy a ticket to even an R-rated movie for any age child. I'm sure there were other families seeing the premiere of this comic book movie together at midnight in other theaters around the country. A very special event, unless you are unlucky enough to be in the theatre with a maniac.

I watched a TV news show about the victims yesterday, and it was so sad. It is so scary to think of, but it could have been in any theatre, at any time of day.
Yes, off course it could happen anywhere ! I just don't think that it is an approriate place to bring youngsters.

I really feel so sorry for that sweet little girl. Her photo on the news this morning did make me teary.

Yes, off course it could happen anywhere ! I just don't think that it is an approriate place to bring youngsters.

I really feel so sorry for that sweet little girl. Her photo on the news this morning did make me teary.
Well, I'm sure many 4- and 6- year olds will happily and safely be watching Batman today. To second-guess a parent's legitimate, legal, safe decision to see a film when the child ends up brutally murdered makes my blood run cold.

I think that no matter what laws are in place, any maniac who spends $3000 on body armor and booby traps his unlocked apartment before blasting annoying music, is going to find any gun, ammo, etc. Or he can just make some tear gas and a huge bomb from Home Depot supplies.

Is any American surprised by mass shootings anymore?

I have to say it surprises me in a way that it's getting this much press. This kind of thing has happened many times before, and will happen again, there's no question about that. And unlike Australia, which put in serious gun control laws after the Port Arthur massacre, America shows no sign of changing no matter how many of these we have.

sigh. the weapon is not the core issue here. you can ban them, but people will find other ways to cause mayhem and destruction.

there are deeper issues at play here. almost assuredly emotional ones.

Reactions: Forster