Zucchini Noodles

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've seen these in a lot of recipes lately, and the dishes look delicious. I eat a lot of pasta, and these would be so much healthier. Has anyone tried them? How do they compare to wheat pasta? Do you use them raw or cooked?

ZucchiniNoodles2.jpg

00AllergyFriendlyZucchiniNoodles3.jpg

3621366616_9c2a6b8220.jpg

I love zuchinni/courgettes and they do make a wonderful base for many dishes. They are often used in low carb
recipes as a substitute for pasta or rice. I usually make a pasta dish with courgettes and just use less pasta.

They are only 'healthier' if you're planning on cutting out the carbs. Everything is healthy when used in the right quanitity.
Nice photos !

I have tried them.I make some with black bean balls and top it all with a tomato sauce.:lick:

I don't use a spiralizer though.I just slice the zucchini thinly then fry them.It's not as healthy as it would be if I had one but I think zucchini make amazing noodles.

It's weird as I was just thinking about this recipe from the raw food discussion on here. I did try a raw courgette (zucchini) recipe a few times and it was very nice to have in the summer. I think the sauce was just blended tomatoes and sun dried tomatoes, sea salt and olive oil. You can make raw meat balls from walnuts too.

I have tried them.I make some with black bean balls and top it all with a tomato sauce.:lick:

:drool: That sounds gorgeous.

I have tried to make them, but the zucchini did not cut right into noodles. I think it was the mandolin slicer. I want to try it again, but I need something to cut them better.

Do you just cut the zucchini? Do you cook them or eat them raw? Do they totally replace the noodles?

I have tried to make them, but the zucchini did not cut right into noodles. I think it was the mandolin slicer. I want to try it again, but I need something to cut them better.

Similar situation here. I've tried using regular vegetable peelers and failed every single time. I need to invest in an actual spiralizer.

Similar situation here. I've tried using regular vegetable peelers and failed every single time. I need to invest in an actual spiralizer.

I just use a small sharp knife to make the strips. Don't forget that the courgettes/zuchinni lose a lot of water when cooked.
A friend of mine once served me strips of courgettes that she had cut with a very expensive gadget that she had bought in Italy. The strips were far too small and very greasy as she had cooked them in too much oil.

I just use a small sharp knife to make the strips. Don't forget that the courgettes/zuchinni lose a lot of water when cooked.

You have achieved that spirally shape with just using a knife?

Don't forget that the courgettes/zuchinni lose a lot of water when cooked.
I didn't realize people cooked them. I always thought they were peeled and eaten raw.

You have achieved that spirally shape with just using a knife?

I didn't realize people cooked them. I always thought they were peeled and eaten raw.

I normally use small courgettes and they do look like pasta. It is quite easy to cut thin strips with a knife for small quantites.

I always cook mine as I'm not too keen on the taste of raw zuchinni/courgettes. However, you can use it either way.

Here is a link where you can see the zucchini pasta maker.

http://citygirlbites.com/blog/archives/8827

I normally use small courgettes and they do look like pasta. It is quite easy to cut thin strips with a knife for small quantites.

I'm very impressed with your knife skills and patience since it can be very time consuming. :)

I always cook mine as I'm not too keen on the taste of raw zuchinni/courgettes. However, you can use it either way.

I'm not fond of the taste of raw zucchini either, but for some reason I was hoping it would taste better when shaped like pasta.:p

Here is a link where you can see the zucchini pasta maker.

I would love that! It's way too expensive though. I will have to check garage sales and thrift stores.