Yo yo i'm new boiz, also question about protein stuff

Hetero Sapien

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
So I'm interested in body building, looking to build alot of muscle and whatnot. Considering going vegan or possibly Pescetarian diet (only due to ethical reasons). Anyways, I know you can get alot of protein from plant sources. But you know how like milk has all of the different protein types you need? And animal proteins and whatnot differ or whatever? I need to be able to get all protein types to build up muscle properly and maintain health and whatnot. I think that vegan food and stuff is missing complete proteins? Not sure exactly. But if y'alls could tell me about good sources of complete proteins and whatnot so I can get every type of protein. Any help'd be great, thanks. Not sure of the rules or whatever here but yeah please tell me if I've done anything wrong or something lol.

Animal products contain what is known as complete proteins. What this means is that they have all the different amino acids that make up protein, all of which the body needs, and, critically, all the amino acids in meat tend to be in a good balance proportional to the body's needs.

Plant foods also have all the amino acids, but often not in well balanced quantities in a single food. This means that on a vegan diet you need to either

A Eat some legumes such as soy, lentils, beans, peas etc. Because 1 - Some of the legumes tend to have complete proteins - i.e. amino acid balance nearly as good as meat. 2 - Legumes tend to contain lysine, which is the only amino acid that is at particular risk of being low on a vegan diet.

Or

B Eat a wide variety of different plant foods and make sure you get some sources of lysine.

Years ago it was thought you needed to combine different sorts of foods at the same meal to get complete proteins, but now consensus is that you don't, as long as you get all the amino acids it doesn't matter if some are at lunch, some are at dinner, and some are a day or two later.

To sumarise all of this post in one sentence. Get enough lysine and you'll be fine.

Per serving, legumes and seitan are the foods highest in the amino acid lysine. Tofu, tempeh, soy meats, lentils, and seitan are the highest, followed by other legume foods. Quinoa, amaranth, pistachios, and pumpkin seeds are also decent sources of lysine. Source: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein#lys

There are probably specific body building vegan forums or blogs or articles if you look for it.

Animal products contain what is known as complete proteins. What this means is that they have all the different amino acids that make up protein, all of which the body needs, and, critically, all the amino acids in meat tend to be in a good balance proportional to the body's needs.

Plant foods also have all the amino acids, but often not in well balanced quantities in a single food. This means that on a vegan diet you need to either

A Eat some legumes such as soy, lentils, beans, peas etc. Because 1 - Some of the legumes tend to have complete proteins - i.e. amino acid balance nearly as good as meat. 2 - Legumes tend to contain lysine, which is the only amino acid that is at particular risk of being low on a vegan diet.

Or

B Eat a wide variety of different plant foods and make sure you get some sources of lysine.

Years ago it was thought you needed to combine different sorts of foods at the same meal to get complete proteins, but now consensus is that you don't, as long as you get all the amino acids it doesn't matter if some are at lunch, some are at dinner, and some are a day or two later.

To sumarise all of this post in one sentence. Get enough lysine and you'll be fine.

Per serving, legumes and seitan are the foods highest in the amino acid lysine. Tofu, tempeh, soy meats, lentils, and seitan are the highest, followed by other legume foods. Quinoa, amaranth, pistachios, and pumpkin seeds are also decent sources of lysine. Source: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein#lys

There are probably specific body building vegan forums or blogs or articles if you look for it.
Thank you I appreciate it!!! :DDD