Why should married women change their names?

I have a terrible time with names too. I once actually forgot my own name momentarily. :p I was intoducing myself, extending my hand to shake, saying, "Hello, I'm........glad to meet you!" (The "glad to meet you" was cover to disguise that I'd forgotten my name. :D)

The names that are hardest for me to remember are all those short, common, one-syllable names. I have an easier time remembering longer and/or unusual names.

Even when I remember the actual names, I have trouble matching them up with the people. I can recognize someone by sight, and know their name, but not be able to connect the person and the name in my mind.

Princess Consuela Banana-Hammock and Crap Bag!

One thing that worries me quite a lot. I know people my age and younger who believe that as soon as a man and woman get married the woman's surname gets automatically changed. Some even think she gets a new passport given to her by the registrar so she can can go on the honeymoon with his surname. :fp:

Reactions: Freesia
Why would a woman (who doesn't like the idea of women taking their husband's names) keep their father's name instead of reverting to their mothers or their grandmothers or their great grandmothers ... ad-finitum?

If you read the article:
If your last name is really your dad's, then no one, including your dad, has a last name that's actually theirs.
Your given name is, in fact, your name. It's not "your father's" name, it's yours. Or no one has a name. I feel that you missed the whole point. Boys are generally given their father's names too. That becomes their name, the one that their wives change their name to (i.e. their husband's name). The point is about the assumption of change, and that 90% of women are changing their name to their husband's.

Sure, if the situation was the same: women wanted to do it, they were happy to do it, their husbands didn't mind if they didn't do it, nobody coerced them into it or judged them for not doing it, nothing bad happened if they didn't do it, etc.

This seems completely devoid of political reality, as though we're all living in a vacuum, with no history, no inequality.

Seems odd that in an environment of all choices being truly equal and open, that 90% of one group would do something (women changing their names upon marriage), while almost none of the other group would do it (men).

I've noticed throughout my life that racial issues are seen as political, and gender issues are seen as social. Apartheid in South Africa was political because men were oppressed. When it's women in Saudi Arabia or honor killings, it's a social issue. Women themselves tend not to see their issues in political terms, but social. I think it's a shame, because it seems like the social analysis falls short of political reality, and the women who are socially on the bottom are the hardest hit (i.e. the things that might be some form of "choice" or can be worked around by more privileged women, are truly not choices for less privileged ones).

This seems completely devoid of political reality, as though we're all living in a vacuum, with no history, no inequality.

Seems odd that in an environment of all choices being truly equal and open, that 90% of one group would do something (women changing their names upon marriage), while almost none of the other group would do it (men).

I've noticed throughout my life that racial issues are seen as political, and gender issues are seen as social. Apartheid in South Africa was political because men were oppressed. When it's women in Saudi Arabia or honor killings, it's a social issue. Women themselves tend not to see their issues in political terms, but social. I think it's a shame, because it seems like the social analysis falls short of political reality, and the women who are socially on the bottom are the hardest hit (i.e. the things that might be some form of "choice" or can be worked around by more privileged women, are not choices for less privileged ones).

So true.

I have a friend who was in the armed forces for a while and later was in the reserves. She told me that whenever she was in Saudi Arabia and a group left the base, the female soldiers had to walk behind the male soldiers, and of course they had to wait outside if the male soldiers went into a cafe or restaurant to buy something. It was all part of *respecting local customs*.

It struck me that our armed forces wouldn't (currently) expect that of a male soldier, if the base were located in a country where local customs dictated that people of color had to defer to white people.

Women themselves tend not to see their issues in political terms, but social. I think it's a shame, because it seems like the social analysis falls short of political reality, and the women who are socially on the bottom are the hardest hit (i.e. the things that might be some form of "choice" or can be worked around by more privileged women, are truly not choices for less privileged ones).

Clearly you are one of the enlightened women. So patronising.

Why don't you explain the phenomenon that I described then?

There are many schools of feminist thought and you are only putting across a particular view of feminism. I'm 37 years old now and I started borrowing my Mum's feminist books at age 9. Just read more widely yourself because I don't want to give you an education.

Reactions: kibbleforlola
Clearly you are one of the enlightened women. So patronising.

Wow.
I KNOW RIGHT

And wow.

I just read this piece (it was cited in the piece Ansciess quoted earlier). It sums up what my thinking is, as well as my reaction to the cluster **** these conversations seem to become. It's worth reading in its entirety.

Look, you’re a feminist who, in this particular case, made the non-feminist choice. That’s all. I assume it was the right choice for you, or you wouldn’t have done it, and that’s fine! But feminism is not, in fact, all about choosing your choice. It is mostly about recognizing when things are fucked up for women at the societal level, and talking about that, and trying to change it. So sometimes, even when a decision is right for you, you still need to recognize that you made that decision within a social context that overwhelmingly supports your choice, and punishes women who make a different one.

Having to listen to other feminists talk about why the tradition of wives taking their husbands’ names really sucks, and feel as though you’re being judged by them, is not punishment. Having your ex-husband use the fact that you didn’t change your name as evidence that you “weren’t committed” in a custody battle is punishment.

For the record, I’ve never experienced anything like that, and I generally have no problems going through life with a different name from my husband. I’m not trying to claim my people are horribly oppressed here. But we are the minority of straight married women in the U.S., by a lot. If you took your husband’s name, you basically have our entire society’s approval for that choice. That’s the reality. And even if it’s not happening (in the open) among you and me and our feminist pals, we are still living in a culture where it’s considered normal for a man to feel hurt if his wife doesn’t want to take his name–but highly abnormal for his wife to be hurt if he won’t take hers. We live in a country where it’s easy for a woman to change her name upon marrying a man, but considerably harder for men to change their names for any reason, for gay people marrying to take their partners’ names, for trans people to adopt new names that reflect their gender, for any of us to just up and change our names because we’re grown-ups and we’d like to–why do we treat this one circumstance, being a woman marrying a man, as such a special case? We live in a country where loads of people, feminist and not, feel it’s important for a family to have a name that identifies them as a cohesive group–but almost no one considers making it the female partner’s name in a het couple, or a blend of the partners’ names, or a made-up name that suits them. People use “Don’t you want to have the same name as your kids?” as a guilt trip to get women to change their names, not as the beginning of a conversation about what a “family name” means to them.

So all I’m saying is, you made your choice in that environment. We all do. We all have our own individual and family and community and ethnic and religious contexts to consider, too. But in America, women who marry men are widely expected to take their husband’s names, and almost all of them do. That is a fact. So acting as though any of us can stand outside of that deeply sexist context and make a free, individual choice to take a man’s name is plainly ******* ridiculous.

http://kateharding.info/2013/03/08/why-i-lose-my-mind-every-time-we-have-the-name-conversation/

I find some feminist ideas to be utterly idiotic honestly although the surname thing I can understand but I wouldn't judge someone for adopting a new surname. I chose to take my husband's surname for personal reasons. I understand that other people may want to take their partner's name when they get married. I understand that other people may not. I understand the cultural/ political/ societal reasons that (mostly women) feel pressurised into taking another name. It is not non-feminist to adopt another surname IMO.

Mlp - just because we disagree on a subject doesn't merit the term "wow.":p

Reactions: kibbleforlola
"Except in this case, you made the non-feminist choice".

Lovely. :rolleyes:

I would be amazed if you (or anyone) could show me even one individual who always makes the feminist choice, or the compassionate choice, or the ethical choice, etc.

I know I don't. I probably would like to think I do, but I'm not capable of deceiving myself to quite that extent.