Why Do Older Men Like Younger Women ?

It's easier to control and manipulate younger women.

Really I could care less what any man thinks of the way I look (other than my intense fear of being criticized as too fat which is not exclusive to what one gender thinks and is more related to a disorder). But then I am asexual and really don't take too much of an interest in what others look like either.

I can say with honesty that I talk and relate more to the older men at my local gym because they are just being themselves, laughing and joking and having fun working out. They have little or nothing left to "prove" and tend to be more laid back. Many of the younger men are very serious, show off, look at themselves in the mirror constantly lol. But I guess on some level I still do that too, though I am 43 years old. And I guess sometimes the older men might be "friendlier" to me because well I am younger. Once a minister I know from a local church who works out regularly at my gym patted me on the shoulder and I really didn't like that at all but didn't say anything like I should have. I just had this instinctive feeling that it was over the line. But it's hard to trust my instincts because I have had bad experiences in the past that maybe influence how I see things. However, his wife starting joining him at the gym and now he never pats me on my body. The younger men at least leave me alone.

I fail to see the point of Ms. Grey's article. She stereotypes people, and pigeonholes them into groups (50-year old men.) She rules out dating younger men, because she pre-judges them as being childish. She's as guilty as those she accuses. Perhaps if she treated people more fairly, she'd have better luck getting a date?

I always thought it was a fertility thing. Charlie Chaplin had offspring in his 80s(or late anyway)(Edit-73) where as a woman of that age would be unlikely to be able to produce kids...so evolution would lead to older men fancying younger(fertile) women.

The weird thing is that now that I am in my late 30s I seem to be more attractive to men in their 20s than to men my age. No man my age has paid any attention to me for a while (though I have had some interest from men about 15 years older)... so this article is true. My last date offer was from a 25 year old. It seems to be hard to find a guy my age who sees me as an eligible partner.

Reminds me of that old saying ...
"As men are better at looking than thinking, it is more important for women to be attractive than smart"

I agree it seems quite unfair that men seem to remain "attractive", even if their age shows (or so I hope), but women have challenges with that.

Last edited:
Reminds me of that old saying ...
"As men are better at looking than thinking, it is more important for women to be attractive than smart"

I agree it seems quite unfair that men seem to remain "attractive", even if their age shows (or so I hope), but women have challenges with that.
Society has conditioned you to think that men are more attractive in their old age than women are, but c'mon, nose hair? Unruly curly eyebrows? Bald heads? Giant ears? No thank you! :D

Reactions: Andy_T
Society has conditioned you to think that men are more attractive in their old age than women are, but c'mon, nose hair? Unruly curly eyebrows? Bald heads? Giant ears? No thank you! :D
Nose hair and eyebrows at least can be dealt with easily! There are rumours of a cure for baldness ...! I didn't know giant ears were an age-related issue, though!?

If I see someone dating someone a lot older I always think money/financial security must be involved.

Yes, it is a total myth that men get more attractive with age. I've no idea who came up with that theory, but I assume it was a man!:p

Reactions: ledboots
If I see someone dating someone a lot older I always think money/financial security must be involved.

Yes, it is a total myth that men get more attractive with age. I've no idea who came up with that theory, but I assume it was a man!:p

Yes, I've never seen a woman dating an elderly, poor man.

Yes, it is a total myth that men get more attractive with age.

As Blob already mentioned, it is likely true for George Clooney, Sean Connery and Richard Gere. Others, not so much. (Although, with these, the financial security also certainly helps)

As Blob already mentioned, it is likely true for George Clooney, Sean Connery and Richard Gere. Others, not so much. (Although, with these, the financial security also certainly helps)

Sean Connery's wife is a year older than him. I don't know whether that really counts ?:D

Reactions: Freesia
IMO, Paul Newman was more attractive as he aged. He was too pretty when he was young. (I guess I don't find perfection as appealing as I do someone with some idiosyncrasies.)

I think Helen Mirren has also gotten more attractive with age, as well a number of other individuals.

But, yeah, generally society is simply more accepting of aging in men than in women, which is sad in a number of ways.