What's your best tofu recipe? Not fried >_<

Reaction score
Hey folks (^_^).
I attempted asking this at VB, but apparently they have seriously died at this point since the 3 recent posts I've made there have had barely any views and zero comments :-/. Grrr.

Anyways...
I'm looking for a good tried-and-true tofu recipe.
I've always hated tofu, however since having my last baby my taste buds have changed dramatically and I'm willing to give it another try. I don't want a dessert or smoothie that uses silken and I'd rather not do fried because I generally avoid fried foods. I also am open to recipes that use baked tofu as we have original and hot&spicy baked tofu at work :)

Thank you so much!!!

I like to just press and marinate some tofu and throw it on the grill, then use it to top salads.

Ingredients:

1 block firm tofu, pressed but not too much
A few tablespoons of cornflour
Salt and pepper
1 tsp Brown sugar
2 tbsps sesame oil
Red chillis
Minced/grated ginger
Garlic, sliced
Optional red pepper and onions, sliced

Cut the tofu into cubes about 1 inch square. In a small bowl, mix the cornflour with salt and pepper to taste, and the brown sugar. Roll the tofu in the flour. It should be moist enough for the flour to stick which is why you don't want to press it too much.

In a frying pan, heat the sesame oil. When it's hot fry the chillis and garlic, and the peppers and onion if using. Wait until the vegetables are soft or, if not using, until the garlic is browned. Add the ginger (watch out for oil splatters at this point), stir for a few seconds and then fry the tofu on all sides until the outside is crispy. Should take about 3-5 minutes.

This is a Chinese dish usually called salt and chilli tofu. I really doubt my recipe is authentic because I pretty much made it up, but it is similar to what I get from Chinese takeaways.

Alternatively, I like to crumble un-pressed tofu, toss it in 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tsp tumeric, and black salt/rock salt to taste (this salt is actually pink and the only place I've seen it is Indian shops that are very well stocked with spices) and fry it. It's a very simplified version of tofu scramble, because I don't like tofu scramble recipes that have 10,000 ingredients including vegetables. Wtf, who has scrambled eggs with peppers in it?

Lasagna with tofu ricotta/vegan bechamel sauce is so, so good! Made it a few times for omnis and they loved it! :lick:

I like to marinate tofu in a mixture of water, a good quality soy sauce, a little sesame oil, garlic and/or onion powder, black pepper. Then I bake it. It's good on sandwiches, in salads, with sides of veggies and a starch.

This thread reminded me...years ago I had a veggie burger dry mix that you just mixed with a box of silken tofu. They were SOOOO GOOD. But I don't know the name or the brand or anything. But I remember it's one of the best tofu dishes I've ever had.

I might try to replicate it soon with just some silken tofu and some breadcrumbs and herb and spices. I'll post it here if it turns out.

I generally fry this, because it makes it crispier, but it can also be baked:

Cut a container of extra firm tofu into thin slices (no thicker than 1/4").

Drain the slices well. (I lay them along the bottom and sides of a large colander. You can also press them by laying them between kitchen towels, putting a cutting board on top, and then putting something heavy on the cutting board.

Dredge the slices in flour. Then dip them in beer (or *milk* of your choice). Then put them in a shallow dish in which cornmeal has been mixed with generous amounts of Zatarain's seasoning and salt to taste. Flip them over to get them well coated with the cornmeal mixture.

At this point, they can be fried in a skillet or baked in the oven until the breading is crisp.

My favourite thing to do with tofu is to cut it up into tiny cubes and have in an Asian style soup, ie a Chinese or Japanese noodle soup.

It is a good way to have it if you arent really used to it yet as there are other vegetables and noodles in the soup, also the tofu absorbs the broth flavour. I find small cubes, ie about a centimetres cube, are very good.

This thread reminded me...years ago I had a veggie burger dry mix that you just mixed with a box of silken tofu. They were SOOOO GOOD. But I don't know the name or the brand or anything. But I remember it's one of the best tofu dishes I've ever had.

I might try to replicate it soon with just some silken tofu and some breadcrumbs and herb and spices. I'll post it here if it turns out.
Would it maybe be one from Fantastic Foods?