What's the last thing you disposed of?

Been to the recycle station today. We can drop of several items for free and some you need to pay a small amount for.

So I got rith of a lot of metal, electric stuff, thing like old Oil, paint etc (dangerous waste) and just a lot of trash. Been enptying the basement and outdoor storage this winter too. I need to be finnised with that before Rime is here, so I can get the car cleaned proper before I put in the cage. Have a few trips left only now. Think I get it done next week off.

Let's just say that my wife and I don't necessarily see eye to eye when it comes to some things that do give joy to me, but not necessarily to her, ranging from tools over IT supplies to toys and hobby items. What to do in such a case?

On a positive note, we watched last week a program on TV in which a young couple tried out for one week to live a "minimalist" life.

This was defined in the way that they had to, from all their belongings, select a total number of 50 to keep for their experiment, everything else went into storage. The program showed how they were ridiculed by "experienced minimalists" for selecting outrageous things like "7 pieces of underwear and 7 pairs of socks", which are clearly totally superfluous for any worthwhile miminalist. So as we watched them having their morning coffee together using their single coffee cup, after having brushed their teeth with their single toothbrush, we decided that this kind of minimalism, at least, would very likely not be interesting for us to pursue ... :D

So as we watched them having their morning coffee together using their single coffee cup, after having brushed their teeth with their single toothbrush, we decided that this kind of minimalism, at least, would very likely not be interesting for us to pursue ... :D

That is one step too far. Nobody is sharing either my cup of coffee or toothbrush.:rolleyes:

You are of cause supposed to tidy up in your own things anyway. So if she gets the virus, your tools and IT supply should still be safe.

I contacted an autism charity this week to see if they wanted a sensory weighted blanket that I bought and have barely used. They were very happy to get that donation as they said people often ask for those blankets.:)

Weighted Blankets for Autism and Sensory Processing Disorder. Weighted blankets are a safe and effective therapeutic solution, helping sensory seeking children and adults calm their body, helping aid a peaceful nights sleep.

I'm getting rid of everything in my house that reminds me that I used to have fibromyalgia.:D

Reactions: Amy SF
Speaking of items that do or do not “spark joy”, last night I was looking through my jewelry box for some earring backs, and I found some cheap costume jewelry that had belonged to my mother. I saved it for sentimental reasons, but I realized that I wasn’t going to wear any of because it just wasn’t my style, and it was taking up space in the box that I needed for other jewelry. (There is other jewelry I inherited from my mother and grandmother that I’m still keeping, some of which I actually wear.) So I collected it and gave it to the activities director to add to the next bingo store, coming up later this month. I’m sure someone will want it and enjoy it, but it ain’t me. :D

I found the earring backs, btw.

Last edited:
I took a large bag of pants two sizes larger than I am now to Goodwill. I had kept them for a while "just in case" but decided I really didn't want that option. :D

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
A few weeks ago, I consolidated the two closets in my bedroom down to one. That's not to say I got rid of an entire closet's worth of stuff. To be honest, my clothing and linens were pretty spread out between the two after my ex moved out a year ago. My current boyfriend will be moving in when his lease ends this fall, so I wanted to proactively give him space to start transitioning items over from his apartment.

Ultimately, I ended up with about 2 trash bags full of still serviceable clothing items to pass along, and maybe another bag's worth of no longer serviceable clothing items to discard. I also consolidated all the craft supplies and spare blankets I keep in the closet in my spare room/home office down to half the space, so he'll have room for his woodburning supplies, etc. It feels good to really be maximizing the usage of those closets.

Thankfully, as compared to the average American, I live a fairly minimalist lifestyle.

I have been getting rid of clothing too as I have lost quite a bit of weight/inches since December.

I was sad to donate the dress I tried on last as I really liked the vivid colour and fit, but it just doesn't fit anymore.:D

I was sad to donate the dress I tried on last as I really liked the vivid colour and fit, but it just doesn't fit anymore.:D

I can relate to that. Unfortunately, it went in the other direction from you. I gained weight in the last couple of years, and some wonderful clothing that fit me when I bought it no longer fit. Made me sad. :sniff:

I donated a few books and other household items that I found when I finally unpacked the last room in my house. Now that everything's unpacked, I plan to systematically go through all closets and drawers to further reduce and donate. At some point, I will attack the basement as well. I have plenty of storage space, but I am sure there are still some things I can donate from that area.

Reactions: Val and Amy SF
A mattress that's been sitting in our hallway for ages. A nice lady came to pick it up and I helped her load it into her car. It was a miracle, we didn't think we would ever get rid of it!

Reactions: Amy SF and PTree15