46491428-56D8-4EA1-A2C5-D73C45A07366.png

So I had to Google Johnny cake...is it anything like any of these pictures? 😁

most similar to the last one in the fourth row

here's the pic from the recipe

vegan_johnny_cake-corn_cake-700x896.jpeg

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: RWilton and KLS52
We are about to try my very first homemade vegan meringues. I forgot to bring the electric whisk when we moved into our temporary apartment so I had to beat the aquafaba by hand and now my arm aches! I got it quite stiff and then when I started adding the sugar, it became liquid again but I think I managed it ok. They puffed up well in the oven so fingers crossed...

• Love
Reactions: RWilton and Emma JC
We are about to try my very first homemade vegan meringues. I forgot to bring the electric whisk when we moved into our temporary apartment so I had to beat the aquafaba by hand and now my arm aches! I got it quite stiff and then when I started adding the sugar, it became liquid again but I think I managed it ok. They puffed up well in the oven so fingers crossed...
SUCCESS! They were delicious. I'll be making those again.

So I had to Google Johnny cake...is it anything like any of these pictures? 😁
View attachment 24359

In my home state of Rhode Island, the debates rage on about thick vs. thin johnny cakes and what ingredients to use. Some people use cold milk, others use boiling water. Mine are usually round like pancakes, but when I make them, they are smaller and a little thicker than pancakes (South County, RI, style). I do the boiling water version with just cornmeal, a pinch of salt and a little sugar. i like them with some Earth Balance.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
In my home state of Rhode Island, the debates rage on about thick vs. thin johnny cakes and what ingredients to use. Some people use cold milk, others use boiling water. Mine are usually round like pancakes, but when I make them, they are smaller and a little thicker than pancakes (South County, RI, style). I do the boiling water version with just cornmeal, a pinch of salt and a little sugar. i like them with some Earth Balance.
Do you cook them on a stovetop like pancakes? Some of the photos look like it’s basically cornbread and baked in the oven. I can get on board with both. 😊 sometimes when I make pancakes I add cornmeal to the flour for corn cakes.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Do you cook them on a stovetop like pancakes? Some of the photos look like it’s basically cornbread and baked in the oven. I can get on board with both. 😊 sometimes when I make pancakes I add cornmeal to the flour for corn cakes.
Yep, I cook them in a cast-iron pan in a little oil. Some people use griddles, but I don't have one of those. Johnny cakes (at least the ones I make) don't contain flour like cornbread, so they are more dense.

Cornmeal is great for adding crunch. I use a cup in my black bean burger recipe, and I get a nice crunch on the top and bottom, which helps hold the burger together.

Reactions: Emma JC
I just made some yummy tofu lettuce wraps. So easy and fast.

@PTree15
You don't hear the name Johnny cakes much these days. Most people just call it cornbread, but there is a difference, evidently. When I was a kid my mom used to make Johnny cakes. I don't have her original recipe, but I am almost 100% sure she used sour milk in the recipe. I am sure there's a vegan work-around for this.

I'm not really sure what defines a traditional Johnny cake, but I do know they go back a long ways in our history as a staple. I'd be curious to see your recipe, if you don't mind sharing it?

Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
I just made some yummy tofu lettuce wraps. So easy and fast.

@PTree15
You don't hear the name Johnny cakes much these days. Most people just call it cornbread, but there is a difference, evidently. When I was a kid my mom used to make Johnny cakes. I don't have her original recipe, but I am almost 100% sure she used sour milk in the recipe. I am sure there's a vegan work-around for this.

I'm not really sure what defines a traditional Johnny cake, but I do know they go back a long ways in our history as a staple. I'd be curious to see your recipe, if you don't mind sharing it?

I think the main difference is there is no flour in johnny cakes. Yes, they do go back quite a bit in history.

My recipe is super basic:
1 cup of cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup boiling water
A TBSP or two of nondairy milk for thinning, if necessary

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Gradually pour boiling water into the bowl and mix to moisten. If the batter is too thick, add nondairy milk a TBSP at a time to get desired consistency. You want it so that a spoonful will sort of slowly plop off the spoon. You can adjust the size of the cake with the size of the spoon you choose. I use a tablespoon (not the measuring tablespoon but flatware).

Preheat a little vegetable oil in a cast-iron skillet or griddle. Drop by spoonfuls into the pan and cook until the edges are browned. Flip and brown the other side. You might have to press the cake with a spoon to shape it a bit. Serve with nondairy butter.