Whatcha Eatin?

@PTree15
You don't hear the name Johnny cakes much these days. Most people just call it cornbread, but there is a difference, evidently. When I was a kid my mom used to make Johnny cakes. I don't have her original recipe, but I am almost 100% sure she used sour milk in the recipe. I am sure there's a vegan work-around for this.

I always add yogurt to the batter when making cornbread.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to post it here:

I always add yogurt to the batter when making cornbread.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to post it here:

For my cornbread, I make a vegan buttermilk by just adding some vinegar to whatever nondairy milk I'm using. I think maybe a half to a TBSP per cup? I sort of just wing it in that regard.

As for what I am eating at the moment: toast with peanut butter and a mug of black coffee.

Last edited:
For my cornbread, I make a vegan buttermilk by just adding some vinegar to whatever nondairy milk I'm using. I think maybe a half to a TBSP per cup? I sort of just wing it in that regard.

As for what I am eating at the moment: toast with peanut butter and a mug of black coffee.

That's what I usually do; adding either cider vinegar or lemon juice to milk. It make a far lighter and fluffier batter.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I'm having my oat milk latte at the moment, but for breakfast this morning it's going to be avocado toast. I'm missing my weekend morning oatmeal, but I've unfortunately run out. It's on the top of my grocery list.

• Friendly
Reactions: Raven and Emma JC
Breakfast. A roll grilled in the oven with olive oil, marinated mushrooms and tomatoes. A bowl of blueberries and a cup of Yorkshire tea.

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
I'm having a courgette & cauliflower soup with a drizzle of evo and a sprinkle of yeast flakes/smoked paprika for lunch.
Raspberries & blueberries with coconut milk yogurt/stevia.

Reactions: Emma JC