Whatcha Drinkin'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very concerned about the problems of the bees and all other insects that are dying out. As a transitioning vegan, honey is the easiest thing for me to give up. For me honey is just another form of sugar (like maple syrup etc.) and it is probably the easiest form of sugar to give up. Sugar on the other hand is used in a very wide range of commercially produced cakes, desserts etc. However, though I do not use honey, I find the vegan arguments against honey less than convincing and rather confusing. In the article you cite, Shyvas, the following is given as a reason to stop eating honey:
“According to a Swiss researcher who recently published a paper on the subject, the electromagnetic waves from mobile phones have a significant impact on the behavior of honeybees and could potentially be harming honeybees around the world.”
As it happens I have no problem in giving up the use of my mobile phones either. I have 2 which I keep unused at home next to the land-line phone.
So while I can give up honey and mobile phones, what is the main argument I should use to persuade my Spanish-speaking friend, Fernando, that he should get rid of his bee hives? It is very difficult to find work in Spain. Fernando bought a cafe but Spain has no need for more cafes, there are already far too many. After 2 years on the dole, you get NOTHING from the state in Spain and Fernando's family live in Argentina.

Last edited:
I am very concerned about the problems of the bees and all other insects that are dying out. As a transitioning vegan, honey is the easiest thing for me to give up. For me honey is just another form of sugar (like maple syrup etc.) and it is probably the easiest form of sugar to give up. Sugar on the other hand is used in a very wide range of commercially produced cakes, desserts etc. However, though I do not use honey, I find the vegan arguments against honey less than convincing and rather confusing. In the article you cite, Shyvas, the following is given as a reason to stop eating honey:
“According to a Swiss researcher who recently published a paper on the subject, the electromagnetic waves from mobile phones have a significant impact on the behavior of honeybees and could potentially be harming honeybees around the world.”
As it happens I have no problem in giving up the use of my mobile phones either. I have 2 which I keep unused at home next to the land-line phone.
So while I can give up honey and mobile phones, what is the main argument I should use to persuade my Spanish-speaking friend, Fernando, that he should get rid of his bee hives? It is very difficult to find work in Spain. Fernando bought a cafe but Spain has no need for more cafes, there are already far too many. After 2 years on the dole, you get NOTHING from the state in Spain and Fernando's family live in Argentina.
As far as I'm concerned, ethical bee keepers provide a great role in helping the bee population. That doesn't mean honey consumption needs to be promoted! So many people use honey that condemning it's use on ethical grounds should drive people to ethical bee keepers hives and condemn the commercial use.
I've never liked the taste, and see all the promoted health benefits as too easily had by other means, but from what I've learned, people like your friend do bees right

Having said all that, I don't see it as okay for vegans as a whole, I think you should make up your own mind given your situation.

I've not contributed this in awhile... I've been discovering more wines, this time cherry wine from Denmark.... Frederiskdal is pretty amazing, totally worth the admission of $40 a bottle!

20171225_172002.jpg

20171230_210305.jpg

I’m currently drinking cawfee, because breakfast arrived while I was in the shower, and they left me coffee instead of tea. Their coffee sux. I’d rather be drinking lemon tea, but I don’t like throwing anything out. :rolleyes:

Ohh, just the usual.... that being beer. LOL :p Salut! :)

m-1138818.jpg

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Lots of water with fresh lime as it is too warm for tea.:)

I fancy having a Moscow Mule as I saw it on a show I watched the other day. I used to drink that cocktail at uni.:D

It is vodka, ginger beer and lime and apparently it is usually served in a copper cup.

Modelo Especial cerveza with lime wedges. I'm not enamored.... tastes like Bud Light Lime. :|

But it's beer, it's vegan, & it's from Mexico. LOL :rolleyes:

No Mexican beer here! Drinking Red Cypress Mocha Deathroll Stout. Local brewery we hang out at. I love Deathroll in almost all its varieties! :D

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
Yeah once you try the "good stuff" the mainstream beer is pretty blah! My sister said the same thing when I talked to her earlier. She has been drinking nice craft beer lately thanks to us! She said she bought a Mexican beer for Cinco de Mayo and doesn't like it at all! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.