What Was The Last Thing You Ate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A tempeh reuben. I bought a jar of sauerkraut specifically for them, so I'll be eating a lot of sandwiches!
Not a fan of sauerkraut except for on toasted rye, with mayo and stuff...
Ideas welcome!

A tempeh reuben. I bought a jar of sauerkraut specifically for them, so I'll be eating a lot of sandwiches!
Not a fan of sauerkraut except for on toasted rye, with mayo and stuff...
Ideas welcome!
Simply make a sauerkraut yourself!:yes: Well, i wouldn't like to offend you or something, but from what i've seen in numerous video bloggers' stuff,- the situation with sauerkraut in the US is a real disaster. But OTOH in Germany and Austria...:woo: We also do have plenty of it sold in plastic pails, big and medium size, and it's fresh! (only 5-7 days after the beginning of fermentation process). When it stands longer (if not contaminated with maliscious fungi), it is even tastier. My other granny used to fermentate 40 kilos for winter time, but this is not a limit: people used to make 100-150 kilos and kept them on the balcony.:leer:
A long but trustworthy article (but in my experience, you don't have to get rid of air):
Homemade Sauerkraut Recipe (Easy Countertop Method) Wellness Mama:)

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
But OTOH in Germany and Austria...:woo: We also do have plenty of it sold in plastic pails, big and medium size, and it's fresh! (only 5-7 days after the beginning of fermentation process). When it stands longer (if not contaminated with maliscious fungi), it is even tastier. My other granny used to fermentate 40 kilos for winter time, but this is not a limit: people used to make 100-150 kilos and kept them on the balcony.:leer:

However did my ancestors survive on sauerkraut by the kilo all winter? Well, I’m glad they did, and I don’t have to.

Don’t get me wrong, I like sauerkraut in certain things, only sometimes alone. If one has it in hundreds of kilos, one may need to bathe in it.

Last night I made angel hair pasta, with a little evoo, plus vegan pesto & walnut-parm, some chopped broccoli, and roasted red peppers & onions....

PastaToss.JPG

I added a few sliced (super-sweet) Zima tomatoes & a couple sliced (salty) green olives to my dish....

PastaToss2.JPG

Well, i can bathe in it!:leer: I'm a sauerkraut maniac!:rofl:
I love sauerkraut too, the homemade kind. I grew up with it, and in fact did the stomping of the cabbage when I was a kid.

The best way to eat sauerkraut is with mashed potatoes.

Reactions: Val
I love sauerkraut too, the homemade kind. I grew up with it, and in fact did the stomping of the cabbage when I was a kid.

The best way to eat sauerkraut is with mashed potatoes.
growing up I liked it with boiled potatoes and baked beans. Not anymore :(. Sometimes my grandmother would rinse it, I don't know if it were homemade or not- but probably by another relative.
If you rinse it do you rinse the probiotics? o_O

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
growing up I liked it with boiled potatoes and baked beans. Not anymore :(. Sometimes my grandmother would rinse it, I don't know if it were homemade or not- but probably by another relative.
If you rinse it do you rinse the probiotics? o_O

I don't know. My sister rinses it to reduce the sourness. I like it as sour as possible.

I don't know. My sister rinses it to reduce the sourness. I like it as sour as possible.
Yeah:yes:, the most beneficial part of it is brine, which is itself the treatment for multiple illnesses, so one should never rinse it, of course, if the sauerkraut had been fermented the right way. If not, OTOH, then there is no sense to rinse it or try saving it: you can throw it away at once.

Oh man l want some fresh bakery pumpernickle now!
That's what l last had from that steakhouse- Outback (almost wrote Outhouse :rofl:)
I had a sea salt dark chocolate bar from aldi. Now I'll make tofu

Dinner: Southwest salad from Trader Joe’s, rye toast with margarine (they don’t have any tortillas), and some fresh strawberries for dessert. Everyone else at my table ate steak. :yuck:

Status
Not open for further replies.