What is your favorite salad dressing?

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Store-bought or homemade? Oil-free or not?

If it is homemade please include the recipe.
And maybe tell a little about it. Why you like it or what it works best on. Where/how you discovered it.

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
... and yours is?

Mine is Esselstyn's Dragon Dressing

1/2 cup peanut butter
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoon low sodium tamari / soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon hot sauce (sriracha etc)
2 gloves garlic, peeled
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1/3 cup water or more depending on how thick you like it

Add all into a food processor or high speed blaned and add more water if/when needed.

Enjoy!

Emma JC

OP
OP
Lou

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
... and yours is?

Mine is Esselstyn's Dragon Dressing

1/2 cup peanut butter
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoon low sodium tamari / soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon hot sauce (sriracha etc)
2 gloves garlic, peeled
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1/3 cup water or more depending on how thick you like it

Add all into a food processor or high speed blaned and add more water if/when needed.

Enjoy!

Emma JC

That sounds terrible!
?

I haven't stated mine because I don't have one yet. I've gone thru all of my oil-free recipes and they are all OK but I haven't fallen in love with one yet.

Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
That sounds terrible!
?

I haven't stated mine because I don't have one yet. I've gone thru all of my oil-free recipes and they are all OK but I haven't fallen in love with one yet.

Try it, you'll like it. :yum

I guess it depends on whether you like a sweet or savoury dressing or a combo. The best sauces and dressings have a bit of each of salty, sweet, sour, bitter and umami.

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52

SapphireLightning

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Ranch dressing is my go-to. I don't have a specific recipe for it, but I start with the oil-free mayo shown in this video:

I don't use the 4 cloves of garlic they suggest, that is too much, but I then add "ranch-y" spices to it. These typically involve some combination of garlic (see above), onion powder/chopped onions, certain herbs (dill being important for ranch dressing). I also like to use lactic acid (yes it is vegan! This isn't lactose here.) instead of so much vinegar. Oh and salt and pepper and whatever else I feel like adding.

Forest Nymph

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I love the vegan ranch they make at the co-op, and the tahini tofu dressing made at the local vegetarian restaurant. In a bottle, probably Annie's Asian Sesame or some generic balsamic vinaigrette. I like using Vegenaise as a base for mustard potato salad with pickles. I think the only homemade one I ever made was an avocado based recipe, oh and one with white miso...I do make homemade sauces but for some reason not salad dressing.

Reactions: Nekodaiden and Lou

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Usually, I only use oil - specifically, rapeseed oil.

I do like tahini-based salad dressings, though, maybe with a hint of citrus - lemon or maybe orange.

Nekodaiden

Forum Legend
Banned
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Store-bought or homemade? Oil-free or not?

If it is homemade please include the recipe.
And maybe tell a little about it. Why you like it or what it works best on. Where/how you discovered it.

Can't say I have a favorite, although I can say that since going vegan I have gradually started to replace store bought dressings with homemade ones. Some of them (ingredients) are listed in the food (breakfast/lunch/dinner) threads but amounts often vary as they are done on the fly. Chocolate sauce from blended dates, cocoa powder, tahini/peanut butter. A recent one I have sitting in the fridge is mustard made with (blended ingredients) soaked mustard and chia seeds, apple cider vinegar, a small amount of onion and smaller amount of garlic, salt and turmeric. Sometimes dressings are very simple - like in a pinch salt and apple cider vinegar if I'm in the mood for it.

Reactions: Lou

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Homemade. I always make a part oil and part vinegar; olive or part olive and rapeseed plus cider vinegar, salt and freshly ground pepper.

Last edited:

Veganite

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I just like balsamic vinegar on my salad for the most part. However, I always buy good quality (real) balsamic. If I want something creamy I will use a bit of veganaise mixed with some various other ingredients. I should mention that I like apple cider vinegar as a dressing as well. I also make an avocado dressing I like too, but that's a bit more decadent.

Reactions: Emma JC

KLS52

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I make a simple dressing with hummus. I don’t measure...I take 2-4 tablespoons of hummus, add maybe 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, salt pepper and a few drops of stevia...I tend to be a bottled dressing junkie and they all have added sugar, hence the stevia. This dressing goes well with any salad, really. I mostly use field greens, butter lettuce. I like to add avocado, chopped apples and/or dried cranberries.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas and Emma JC

PTree15

Beach bum
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Homemade Italian for me. I use the Betty Crocker cookbook recipe. If I'm not making a whole bottle of dressing, I will just do either olive oil with red wine vinegar and a few spices or balsamic with oil and a few spices. I've never been one for creamy dressings. The more vinegary, the better.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Homemade Italian for me. I use the Betty Crocker cookbook recipe. If I'm not making a whole bottle of dressing, I will just do either olive oil with red wine vinegar and a few spices or balsamic with oil and a few spices. I've never been one for creamy dressings. The more vinegary, the better.

Totally agree.

Reactions: PTree15

Poppy

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I am completely addicted to Follow Your Heart's Vegan Caesar dressing. Just thinking about it can make me drool! 😋

Reactions: Lou