What is the best way to spread veganism?

The Master Of Design

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
What do you think is the best way to spread veganism? I did participate in the cube of truth and similar events but often feel like it's not enough...
Please share with me how do you promote veganism and do you think we are doing enough... Thank you!

Living in a socioeconomically poor, and under educated area, I find that many people get nasty if you try to mention the very idea of veganism to them. They don't like the idea that what they are doing might not be right, whatever the context. Stick to discussing it with people you know who have the intellectual capacity to weigh up the concepts. That's my rather cynical take on it based on where I live.

Interesting! I have been thinking about that too. If the area is poor it seems impossible to make them change because it's not convenient. But also because people just don't care about it enough to find a better way to their eating habits. Anyways I would love to hear some ideas on how to spread Veganism faster than just talking to people or discussing here... Like there must be a way to maybe even scare people about meat so that they make a transition faster in developed countries? Hmm actually some people are doing that already :D

I had an idea that if someone could sneak in a slaughterhouse and put something in the meat before it reaches the stores it would actually make people sick and force them to find other alternatives ;) Ps. I know it's not the most ethical way lol but still.... hmm...

I was watching the first episode of Veganville on BBC (iPlayer) the other day, and it seemed that perhaps serving people tasty vegan food was the way to go in populations with little understanding of the issues or where animal exploitation is crucial to the local economy. Meanwhile, the cube of truth got a more mixed reception - while a few people responded really well, there were also a few others who went the other way: defensive, argumentative, upset.

I don't think it's a good idea to target just the educated and affluent. Veganism needs voices from all camps and walks of life. If it becomes a lifestyle which appears to be exclusive to the "woke" / affluent / white demographic and so on, then how are we going to ever reach the "other half" of the population?

I think two of the aspects of veganism that can resonate especially well in socio-economically poor areas are the fact that veganism can be a way to save money and at the same time also save your health. (It seems that a lot of people in these areas suffer with poor health.) Often what makes the headlines are new, sometimes "processed" vegan products, although these are not always the cheapest options. So for this demographic we need to promote a veganism that can be frugal, healthy and tasty. Maybe just frugal and tasty at first in order to wean them off the animal products, and then introduce the healthy vegan foods, and finally move on to focus more on the ethics of veganism as the last step once they're already properly "initiated" into the lifestyle.

I don't think it's a good idea to target just the educated and affluent. Veganism needs voices from all camps and walks of life. If it becomes a lifestyle which appears to be exclusive to the "woke" / affluent / white demographic and so on, then how are we going to ever reach the "other half" of the population?

I see your point, but in the case of the uneducated, maybe veganism needs to be presented as something to aspire to rather than something that is exclusive. Somehow, veganism needs to be presented as 'cool' in the way that gin has suddenly taken off here as being the drink of choice, and a lot more people are drinking gin than previously. Difficult, given the hold of the meat and dairy industry, but hopefully there could be a way. A lot of people look up to certain celebrities - are there many who are vegan? Given the sheeplike nature of certain sectors of the population, where one celebrity goes, many people will follow.

I think two of the aspects of veganism that can resonate especially well in socio-economically poor areas are the fact that veganism can be a way to save money and at the same time also save your health. (It seems that a lot of people in these areas suffer with poor health.) Often what makes the headlines are new, sometimes "processed" vegan products, although these are not always the cheapest options. So for this demographic we need to promote a veganism that can be frugal, healthy and tasty. Maybe just frugal and tasty at first in order to wean them off the animal products, and then introduce the healthy vegan foods, and finally move on to focus more on the ethics of veganism as the last step once they're already properly "initiated" into the lifestyle.

I agree! The difficulty in the area where I live would be getting people to learn to cook. Many people have little clue about cooking other than heating canned food in a pan or throwing something in the microwave for 9 minutes. Maybe a good starting point would be ready meals that are vegan? If people realise that vegan food can taste great, would they be more likely to explore cooking further?

Reactions: Second Summer
I had an idea that if someone could sneak in a slaughterhouse and put something in the meat before it reaches the stores it would actually make people sick and force them to find other alternatives ;) Ps. I know it's not the most ethical way lol but still.... hmm...

Plus, that is a felony. Do they serve vegan food in prison? 😂

I agree completely. Different things trigger different people. For some it is their health, for some the environment and for some the animals and I would be willing to bet that the 'save money' aspect could be a hook for many people. So many people have the idea that it is difficult and expensive.

Rice and beans with a package of frozen vegetables thrown in is a great healthy meal and can be spiced to each individual preference. Lots of potatoes with vegetable/bean chili and sprinkled with nooch is amazing and nourishing and comforting. Oatmeal with mixed frozen berries and a few nuts! Peanut butter and jam sandwiches. Breakfast beans with potatoes or hashbrowns ( I just picked up a package of 10 on sale for $1.67). Spaghetti with a lentil bolognese sauce and lots of spinach thrown in.

Teaching people to cook without butters and oils can save lots of money and body weight and damage to epithelial cells.

Emma JC

I see your point, but in the case of the uneducated, maybe veganism needs to be presented as something to aspire to rather than something that is exclusive. Somehow, veganism needs to be presented as 'cool' in the way that gin has suddenly taken off here as being the drink of choice, and a lot more people are drinking gin than previously. Difficult, given the hold of the meat and dairy industry, but hopefully there could be a way. A lot of people look up to certain celebrities - are there many who are vegan? Given the sheeplike nature of certain sectors of the population, where one celebrity goes, many people will follow.
I agree! The difficulty in the area where I live would be getting people to learn to cook. Many people have little clue about cooking other than heating canned food in a pan or throwing something in the microwave for 9 minutes. Maybe a good starting point would be ready meals that are vegan? If people realise that vegan food can taste great, would they be more likely to explore cooking further?
Yes, I agree that in this case it could help if veganism wasn't necessarily an either-or thing, but could be something people adopted only partly or in stages. Maybe simply call it 'plant-based eating' or similar instead of veganism. Perhaps it could be wrapped in a bigger package that also came with cooking classes, community organisation - allotments / community gardens for growing your own vegetables, skills training, activities for children, yoga and meditation classes and so on. Maybe even a sort of over-arching world view, political ideology and/or spiritual belief system.

Celebrities - yes, maybe like Jay-Z and Beyonce's stint with veganism, which was sort of not as high effort ... Hmm.

And yes, there are some cheap vegan ready-made meals.

Someone should start a web page and write a book and/or make a film to promote this! (OK, I'm getting carried away now!)

Plus, that is a felony. Do they serve vegan food in prison? 😂
Hahaha I know right, that's a good question! I think they do serve in Sweden 😂

It's amazing to see so many different ideas! Thank you all for sharing! I believe in simplicity so the more simple it is the more likely people will make a transition. At this moment it seems still complicated for a lot of people... I also think that even most people know how to cook the rice and beans but they still crave the meat and don't want to bother looking for soya protein or seitan...

The trick is to make them somehow realize that this is a better option and like @Emma JC said not just for their health but also for their pocket.

I agree completely. Different things trigger different people. For some it is their health, for some the environment and for some the animals and I would be willing to bet that the 'save money' aspect could be a hook for many people. So many people have the idea that it is difficult and expensive.

Rice and beans with a package of frozen vegetables thrown in is a great healthy meal and can be spiced to each individual preference. Lots of potatoes with vegetable/bean chili and sprinkled with nooch is amazing and nourishing and comforting. Oatmeal with mixed frozen berries and a few nuts! Peanut butter and jam sandwiches. Breakfast beans with potatoes or hashbrowns ( I just picked up a package of 10 on sale for $1.67). Spaghetti with a lentil bolognese sauce and lots of spinach thrown in.

Teaching people to cook without butters and oils can save lots of money and body weight and damage to epithelial cells.

Emma JC

I agree different things trigger different people. I saw how people change because of the trend or because of the environment or just to try it out because their friend is vegan and so on... However my reason was just the animals, I honestly did not care about my health. 7 years ago I was vegetarian and after 2 years switched to Veganism right after I watched Earthlings. Never thought that it will be a healthier option... After some research I found out that I can actually benefit from it too so it was more like a bonus to me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Emma JC
The best way is to get them to ask you about your lifestyle, and then you tell them. Don't tell them you look down on them. If you weren't born into veganism, remind them that you use to be like them and that you're understanding if they don't wanna do it. Then, just explain that you'll like them either way, and that you're here to help them transition if they get enticed enough to try it. There's nothing you can do except put the facts out there in the most polite way possible, and just be nice to them. Just my opinion. Don't know if it'll work for you.