What has Science ever done for us?

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
Reg:
All right, Stan. Don't labour the point. And what have they ever given us in return?
Xerxes:
The aqueduct.
Reg:
Oh yeah, yeah they gave us that. Yeah. That's true.
Masked Activist:
And the sanitation!
Stan:
Oh yes... sanitation, Reg, you remember what the city used to be like.
Reg:
All right, I'll grant you that the aqueduct and the sanitation are two things that the Romans have done...
Matthias:
And the roads...
Reg:
(sharply) Well yes obviously the roads... the roads go without saying. But apart from the aqueduct, the sanitation and the roads...
Another Masked Activist:
Irrigation...
Other Masked Voices:
Medicine... Education... Health...
Reg:
Yes... all right, fair enough...
Activist Near Front:
And the wine...
Omnes:
Oh yes! True!
Francis:
Yeah. That's something we'd really miss if the Romans left, Reg.
Masked Activist at Back:
Public baths!
Stan:
And it's safe to walk in the streets at night now.
Francis:
Yes, they certainly know how to keep order... (general nodding)... let's face it, they're the only ones who could in a place like this.

(more general murmurs of agreement)
Reg:
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
Xerxes:
Brought peace!
Reg:
(very angry, he's not having a good meeting at all) What!? Oh... (scornfully) Peace, yes... shut up!

And then there is the computer and electricity and soya cheese..

I don't think that means that science can claim authority over all knowledge, truth and reality*, but some of us should maybe acknowledge what science has given to this planet, even if there are downsides like the atom bomb, and Richard Dawkins ;D.

*and I think it would be really cool if more scientists acknowledged this as well.

Edit: Was this on the Simpsons..? Things recycle in my brain.

Last edited:
Ah, my favourite movie of all time :)
And then there is the computer and electricity and soya cheese..

I don't think that means that science can claim authority over all knowledge, truth and reality*, but some of us should maybe acknowledge what science has given to this planet, even if there are downsides like the atom bomb, and Richard Dawkins ;D.

*and I think it would be really cool if more scientists acknowledged this as well.
When it's said that science has authority over all knowledge, truth and reality, isn't that what is termed scientism? It doesn't sound like a good thing. That said, what other sources of knowledge, truth and reality would you advocate for?

all science is based upon personal experience anyway. When a biologist looks into a microscope and records what he sees, he is recording his experience, and interpretations.

personal experience, feelings, intuition and things like that.
OK, that can and should be sources of authority on the personal/individual level. I'm sure most scientists also make use of personal experience and sometimes intuition when forming their working hypotheses. But I don't think I would trust somebody else's personal experience, feelings and intuition as much to guide my own actions and beliefs. The one exception to that would perhaps be for someone with whom I'm in some kind of personal relationship (like family and friends) that over time has made me come to trust their opinions/decisions, especially in certain areas of expertise.

The one exception to that would perhaps be for someone with whom I'm in some kind of personal relationship (like family and friends) that over time has made me come to trust their opinions/decisions, especially in certain areas of expertise.

If you met someone at the bus stop who said he'd heard on the radio that there had been a traffic accident, and that the bus was going to be late, you'd probably be more likely to believe him on that, than if someone at the bus stop proclaimed that he'd seen a flying saucer the previous night. So it would depend, for most people, on the type of information that was being transmitted, as well as by whom, but I suppose that is stating the obvious...