What do you find hardest being a vegan?

I told somebody the other day that I would probably cause let dismay and consternation in people if I dressed habitually in a Nazi SS uniform. The shock! The horror! The, 'Eek! How do I deal with this awkward and difficult person? His diet is incomprehensible!'.

That's funny Paul. But I can totally identify! The best response I ever had was from a new colleague (a real meat lover) who said "cool! I've never met a vegan" He went to the supermarket at lunch and came back with some soya milk and a nut bar for me. What a cool guy!

Reactions: coh19
I have a handful of veg-friendly options in downtown Jersey City (very hip town), but in general it can be annoying finding options when dining with others. It's agitating to hear veganism called "restrictive," because it's really the options offered in society that's restrictive, not our actual food options. We can eat TONS of various foods.

For me, the hardest part is unfortunately the loneliness (womp wommmp). I've always been "different" and I see most of society as odd and ***-backward. Once you stop eating meat and dairy you truly feel like you're living in the matrix. I try to build a friend base online, but everyone I meet literally lives in another country! It can be a struggle, but it's a burden we bear. I just can't cause harm to animals knowing that it's unnecessary.

Reactions: JoannaM and coh19
I think the hardest thing I have found with veganism after 6yrs is the views and opinions of others. I once went to a friends house and her parents were convinced I had an eating disorder. Also being from a small village in rural Ireland, surrounded by nothing but dairy, beef, chicken and sheep farms, nobody knows what a vegan even is.

Eating out here is a nightmare. I have went to a restaurant and explained that I was vegan and what that was and they ended up serving me a chicken curry... In another restaurant I was told that the only thing vegan they could do for me was a cheese burger and I could remove the cheese and meat.

After recently travelling to London I envyed the vegan options available. On almost every street we were on there were vegan cafes, bakerys, ice cream shops and every restaurant I was in had a vegan menu. Also I have never met another vegan. So being in London and talking to other people who understood my struggles was a relief.

Hi Stephen,

Having to ask for custom choices in the menus, difficulty in finding vegan clothing that looks good (to me), other people's attitude about vegans.

A reasonable improvement will happen when the vegan diet will be as popular as vegetarian - I am hoping that in every restaurant you would have a few vegan options.

Gab

Well said, I agree!

Social acceptance is definatly the hardest for me. As I have decided to take this lifestyle up at such a young age, I have to deal with a lot of ignorant people, who think it is a new 'fad diet'. Also eating at a new friend's house as I get a lot of questions, and as a new vegan they are very difficult to answer. :(

From time to time it is tempting to get sucked back into the mainstream. Ignorance is bliss. And at times the bliss is attractive.

As stupid as this sounds - queso. Yes, queso, cheese dip, whatever you want to call it. I'm new to this, I mean NEW NEW. Three days in to be exact and I'm having hardcore cheese cravings but I refuse to give up on this lifestyle. It's something I've wanted to do for a VERY long time now. I could definitely use support if anyone has any advice!

As stupid as this sounds - queso. Yes, queso, cheese dip, whatever you want to call it. I'm new to this, I mean NEW NEW. Three days in to be exact and I'm having hardcore cheese cravings but I refuse to give up on this lifestyle. It's something I've wanted to do for a VERY long time now. I could definitely use support if anyone has any advice!
I follow loads of inspirational vegans on Instagram. Really helps to stop you feeling alone. And reminds you why you're doing it. Good luck.