What did you have for lunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuban black beans and rice. Corn chips and guacamole. A couple ounces of Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate covered power berries.

Oh, darn it. they had free tastes and I thought they were delicious and bought a bag. Dark chocolate is vegan, you know. But just now I checked the ingredients to see exactly what a power berry is ... and they contain milk. And here I thought I had discovered a new favorite thing.

Cuban black beans and rice. Corn chips and guacamole. A couple ounces of Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate covered power berries.

Cuban black beans. Are these any different than just plain ol black beans? Inquiring mind wants to know.

Oh, darn it. they had free tastes and I thought they were delicious and bought a bag. Dark chocolate is vegan, you know. But just now I checked the ingredients to see exactly what a power berry is ... and they contain milk. And here I thought I had discovered a new favorite thing.

I know cocoa is vegan, but I'm pretty suspicious of anything that's marketed as chocolate, as it almost always has milk or "milk solids" in it. It seems the stupid people at the head of the corporations haven't figured out you can make great tasting chocolate products with whole foods like nut butters and such. Don't even need to add oil (but they will, most likely).

But yeah, I made a similar mistake a few times. One was with a bread that I found out later had egg in it. The other was with some rice seasoning that had lactose as an ingredient. In both cases...oops! Oh well, don't want them in my body, so they got thrown out. Know better next time.

Cuban black beans. Are these any different than just plain ol black beans? Inquiring mind wants to know.

I know cocoa is vegan, but I'm pretty suspicious of anything that's marketed as chocolate, as it almost always has milk or "milk solids" in it. It seems the stupid people at the head of the corporations haven't figured out you can make great tasting chocolate products with whole foods like nut butters and such. Don't even need to add oil (but they will, most likely).

But yeah, I made a similar mistake a few times. One was with a bread that I found out later had egg in it. The other was with some rice seasoning that had lactose as an ingredient. In both cases...oops! Oh well, don't want them in my body, so they got thrown out. Know better next time.

Cuban black beans start off as regular old black beans. There are a number of recipes. Most require onion, green pepper, garlic, and cumin. Some stores sell it ready-made in a can. I make a big batch on the stove from scratch. Oh, i guess technically they are not Cuban Black Beans unless they are born in Cuba. To be politically correct they are Cuban -Style Black Beans. The real Cuban black beans can no longer get Visas.

I have really slowed down on my chocolate consumption. Most of the dark chocolates I see in the stores are vegan. but i go out of my way to buy organic and slavery-free chocolate - which pretty much limits it. This was an impulse buy. They were giving out free tastes and they were delicious - so I bought some without any deliberation.

And I'm not throwing them away. Any harm to the animals is done. So throwing them away wouldn't do anyone any good. As far as going into my body goes.... the whole package is 8 ounces - even if it was 50% milk, over my lifetime I must have consumed like a thousand times more milk than that. So it's not going to make any kind of significant difference. Besides, as i said, they are delicious. But, I won't buy them again. Besides the milk, the chocolate was probably harvested by slaves and processed by child labor.

I also just discovered there is no such thing as "Power berries".

Cuban black beans start off as regular old black beans. There are a number of recipes. Most require onion, green pepper, garlic, and cumin. Some stores sell it ready-made in a can. I make a big batch on the stove from scratch. Oh, i guess technically they are not Cuban Black Beans unless they are born in Cuba. To be politically correct they are Cuban -Style Black Beans. The real Cuban black beans can no longer get Visas.

Thanks for that info.

I have really slowed down on my chocolate consumption. Most of the dark chocolates I see in the stores are vegan. but i go out of my way to buy organic and slavery-free chocolate - which pretty much limits it. This was an impulse buy. They were giving out free tastes and they were delicious - so I bought some without any deliberation.

And I'm not throwing them away. Any harm to the animals is done. So throwing them away wouldn't do anyone any good. As far as going into my body goes.... the whole package is 8 ounces - even if it was 50% milk, over my lifetime I must have consumed like a thousand times more milk than that. So it's not going to make any kind of significant difference. Besides, as i said, they are delicious. But, I won't buy them again. Besides the milk, the chocolate was probably harvested by slaves and processed by child labor.

Slippery slope. The argument you are making could be made for any animal product found in the store, be it direct meat from an animal, or it's milk. This is one reason I don't bother about the "ethical" vegan label. It leads to these kinds of rationales "I already bought it", "the harm's already done(to the animal)".

While you knowingly eat something from an animal it is by definition incorrect to say you are eating a vegan diet. You may also develop a craving for it, since bacteria will develop that munch on animal products while you continue to eat them.

It's around 2pm where I'm at, and I haven't eaten anything since breakfast, and I'm not hungry. I'm thinking of making just a little potato soup since I'm going out to see some friends and will likely be hungry later.

Had daiya mac and cheese. Just made some spring rolls and a salad as well. I still plan on having some curry for dinner.

I was really looking forward to a PB&J. but I'm out of bread.
So I had a salad....again. Two kinds of Lettuce, carrots, garbanzo beans, celery, baked tofu, spinach, tomatoes, vinaigrette.

Oh...how I have missed basmati rice. Not long after I went vegan I decided I couldn't eat the white rice any more. Just not enough nutrients and fiber. And the brown basmati was imported, so it's been heat treated and won't sprout. So it was Aussie brown rice then.

Decided I wanted some basmati anyway. Brown Basmati from an Indian shop. Perhaps it will sprout? Probably not, but I guess I'll find out.

Today's lunch was Brown Basmati that had been soaked over night then cooked, with pinto beans, caramelized onion, garlic, tomato, jalapenos and soaked pepitas. A little smoked paprika, ground sumac and salt mixed in for a super yummy meal.

Reactions: hopeful
Homemade tomato soup: Water, tomato paste, onion, garlic, salt

Sandwiches: whole wheat with peanut butter and oat/date milk/syrup from this morning.

I am making some red lentil coconut curry soup for my lunch. I'll probably have a huge salad with that too. I have greens growing out of control. I gave my neighbour a bunch of fresh stuff from my garden yesterday. Then he brings me a bunch of peppers from their garden. lol.

Soup: Potato, tomato, sprouted barley with onion, garlic and salt, blended up, then added mushrooms and broccoli stalks.

A few hours later I had a chocolate drink: Rolled oats (as flour), heated dates, water and cocoa powder, blended.

I've been eating lighter lately. I just had a Greek salad today, minus the cheese, of course. I just throw everything else that's in a Greek salad into a bowl and dress it with a quality balsamic vinegar. I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.