What did you eat for Dinner/Supper today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I had oyster mushrooms, onion, red bell pepper, tofu and spinach sauteed in a bit of water and salt to make up for all the "bad" rich food I ate the days prior. I did have a dab of Annie's Lite Goddess dressing for dipping.

I also had a banana, some beet juice and this AMAZING winter immunity blend tea I got at a local herbal shop and simmered in the Crock-Pot on low for hours.

Reactions: Qwaychou
made a smoked tofu stir fry with tons of veggies and served over noodles with a peanutty sauce - it was okay but I do not have any success with tofu - I do everything the recipe says and still they are like little blocks of plastic.... grrr

Emma JC

What kind of tofu do you purchase? It matters. You can make your own out of high quality soy milk. I buy a locally made type in extra firm and its always amazing.

The shelf stable kind imported from Asia is awful as anything other than a thickening agent or creamy base.

What kind of tofu do you purchase? It matters. You can make your own out of high quality soy milk. I buy a locally made type in extra firm and its always amazing.

The shelf stable kind imported from Asia is awful as anything other than a thickening agent or creamy base.

It was smoked, non GMO etc etc and it doesn't seem to matter what type I buy.... I can make an amazing onion dip out of it, I could make a ricotta type cheeze for lasagna or even a sweet dessert with it but when it comes to frying or baking it I have epic untasty fails.

Emma JC

It was smoked, non GMO etc etc and it doesn't seem to matter what type I buy.... I can make an amazing onion dip out of it, I could make a ricotta type cheeze for lasagna or even a sweet dessert with it but when it comes to frying or baking it I have epic untasty fails.

Emma JC

Have you tried cooking tofu that isn't already smoked? I never cook smoked tofu. I eat it as a snack or put it in salads etc.

Reactions: Qwaychou
made a smoked tofu stir fry with tons of veggies and served over noodles with a peanutty sauce - it was okay but I do not have any success with tofu - I do everything the recipe says and still they are like little blocks of plastic.... grrr

Emma JC
A suggestion that has improved my tofu game (because my game wasn't very good)...be sure to really drain, press and blot your tofu with paper towels before cooking. If you then do like a pan fry it will crisp up nice and be tender inside. This article was the article I found. My tofu scramble and my Asian stir fry I did the other day was a vast improvement over previous attempts.

The best advice about tofu is that everyone likes it differently. I do like extra firm, but often just get firm and don't press. I like it custardly, I like it steamed, or sauteed with veggies, or blended for a quiche. If it's good fresh tofu I like it cold.,
I despise it after it's been frozen

I made the best pizza I think I've ever has. I was making foccacia bread with rosemary and garlic, then thought why not fry up a Beyond Italian sausage I just bought and make pizza? I had sauce, I sauteed mushrooms and onion with the link, topped with some FYH parm and olives. It was the kind that made me close my eyes and savor every bite.
I swear the more I say I'm gonna eat healthier the worse food I crave.....and the more I cook!
I also made some IP baked beans for the week

yes, this is the first time I bought the smoked as I thought there would be more flavour already infused, instead it was like more plastic was infused

:(

Emma JC

Huh. I love well made tofu. I wonder what it is because I have run out of ideas, except maybe you accidentally over cook it or maybe you just don't enjoy tofu. Not liking tofu is an option, some people prefer tempeh or seitan.

A veggie(raw) burger served with steamed broccoli & carrots plus a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of
smoked sea salt plus a white cabbage slaw.
Alpro mango yogurt.
A glass of Côtes du Rhône.

quinoa with chick pea salad on top - chick peas, cucumber, green onion, chopped cherry tomatoes, celery, lots of spices and lime juice, red wine vinegar

Emma JC

Burritos... Squash, spinach, black beans, caramelized onions, tofu sauteed with chili powder, smoked paprika, etc..., roasted jalapenos, cashew "cream" sauce. Accoutrements- Pineapple guacamole, hot salsa

I made some chickpea patties today (chickpeas, salt, pepper, sage, cumin, rosemary, yeast flakes and a little oil for cooking), so I had these on whole wheat bread with some tomato sauce, pickles and Cos lettuce.

Status
Not open for further replies.