What Did You Cook or Bake today?

Aldi pumpkin rolls. Like cinnamon rolls, but with a frosting that's like a pumpkin pie filling. Vegan and yummy. Five jumbo rolls for $2.99
View attachment 22375

Hey cool! I was picking up items today to make a whole-foods vegan shepherd's pie (probably won't make it until tomorrow...) and found myself casually hunting for all things pumpkin. I did find an actual pie pumpkin but I didn't feel like carrying it on the walk home along with a heavy bag of potatoes LOL. I keep having nostalgia for going to Berkeley around this time last year, and being overjoyed to see a Trader Joe's again, which provided me with delicious pumpkin spice bagels and maple butter.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
A huge batch of white seitan. I'll use the stock to make a hearty soup and freeze it as the weather is still too hot for the latter.

• Friendly
1600243127488.png

I made these blueberry clusters to take over to my pal's, for lunch.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: silva and Emma JC
I'm going to make a pumpkin/sweet potato curry with coconut milk (Madras style) for tonight's dinner. I'm in need of some comfort food as it's very damp with all the rain and thunder.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
overnight beans, in the crock pot, used only small white beans this time and next time will do only pinto beans - usually I do a mix

had a few for breakfast and will freeze most and put some (with the liquid) in the fridge and make soup tomorrow night

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52
overnight beans, in the crock pot, used only small white beans this time and next time will do only pinto beans - usually I do a mix

had a few for breakfast and will freeze most and put some (with the liquid) in the fridge and make soup tomorrow night

Emma JC

Pinto or Borlotti (I think they are called something else in North America , cranberry beans?) are my favourite ones:

1601019088936.png

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Pinto or Borlotti (I think they are called something else in North America , cranberry beans?) are my favourite ones:

yes I don't think I will use just the white beans again, alone, as they don't seem to produce the same rich broth that the pinto beans do

pinto and borlotti/cranberry are related to each other as they are both also related to the kidney bean

Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
yes I don't think I will use just the white beans again, alone, as they don't seem to produce the same rich broth that the pinto beans do

pinto and borlotti/cranberry are related to each other as they are both also related to the kidney bean

Emma JC
I love the broth from white beans! I usually cook with garlic cloves, rosemary and sage and mash the garlic after.
What I can't understand is the big aquafaba from chickpea craze. I don't find that in the least appealing, even after cooking. I think chickpeas are one of my least favorite beans, just above lima and butterbeans.
Think I'll soak some pintos, maybe make enchiladas since I have vegan cheddars--tomorrow!

Emma JC

I'm not a fan of kidney beans. My favourite ones are the borlotti/cranberry and black beans.

today I am taking the crockpot cooked beans, I put in the fridge the other day, and making Veggie Tomato Bean Soup - tons of root veggies, celery, onion, garlic, the beans and liquid from the cooking and then lots of spices, likely including miso, veggie stock etc and then some basil and greens on top

Emma JC

Reactions: Raven and HappyRoxy
I think I am going to try a few new recipes each week. I have so much time on my hands I may as well start cooking more instead of being so lazy. :D It's nicer to spend time cooking now the weather has cooled down.

I am going to make a curry and also try to make vegan Jamaican rice and beans this week.

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
I think I am going to try a few new recipes each week. I have so much time on my hands I may as well start cooking more instead of being so lazy. :D It's nicer to spend time cooking now the weather has cooled down.

I am going to make a curry and also try to make vegan Jamaican rice and beans this week.

Curries are one of my most favourite dishes, especially during the colder winter months. Not only are they very easy to make but freeze perfectly well.
Great that you are going to do more cooking. :up:

Reactions: Raven and Emma JC
I've got lots to cook-fresh beets, the greens with spinach, mushrooms and onions and noodles. Miyokos buffalo mozzerella I've had cultering a day. The seitan roast. Some no bake nut butter and stuff balls
Spinach & artichoke heart bake made with cashew cream.
I'd forgotten about wanting artichokes and now want to go buy some!

Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
Curries are one of my most favourite dishes, especially during the colder winter months. Not only are they very easy to make but freeze perfectly well.
Great that you are going to do more cooking. :up:

I love curries with coconut milk (from a can) with potato/sweet potato and chickpeas. :)

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas and Emma JC
Made the mozz cheese, got pita bread, tomatoes, and the seitan still cooking :confused:
I want!

I hate making curries. There used to be a wonderful Thai place near me that had vegan specific curries. The other places all have fish something they can't leave out. Except one which is overpriced and not as good.

• Friendly
The delivery driver gave us two huge bags of potatoes by mistake so I need to use them up.

I'm making leek and potato soup for myself for lunch and roast dinner with roast potatoes for us tonight.

I'm trying to think what to make. Colcannon, potato curry, jacket potatoes, wedges and ketchup, mashed potatoes and vegan sausages, potato salad with vegan mayo...

The delivery driver gave us two huge bags of potatoes by mistake so I need to use them up.

I'm making leek and potato soup for myself for lunch and roast dinner with roast potatoes for us tonight.

I'm trying to think what to make. Colcannon, potato curry, jacket potatoes, wedges and ketchup, mashed potatoes and vegan sausages, potato salad with vegan mayo...

and the morning favourite - homefries ... when I boiled potatoes for mashed or colcannon etc, I try to do a couple of extra to put with onions and garlic and peppers etc for homefries for a weekend breakfast

Emma JC

• Love
Reactions: Raven
^ Yum!

The soup I made earlier was gorgeous. 3 potatoes, 3 carrots, a whole leek, a veggie stock cube, veggie bouillon, black pepper, and then whizzed up with my hand held blender and I added plant milk at the end. I have enough for three more days of lunches. :)