What Did You Cook or Bake today?

Little miss Summer and I baked a chocolate cake on Saturday on account of it being missus Summer's birthday.

We found a recipe online that we both thought looked OK, then doubled the amounts and filled two cake pans as little miss Summer insisted we needed a two-layer cake.

We used some baking paper in the bottom of the pans and greased the pans with vegan spray margarine. The layers had to bake somewhat longer than the recipe called for, but fortunately they didn't burn, I think, although it can be hard to tell with chocolate cakes.

We also made some icing a.k.a. frosting using vegan margarine, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.

Little miss Summer put the frosting on the bottom layer, and I stacked the other layer on top as best I could. It didn't look like two-layer cake, just two cakes stacked on top of each other ...! Then a bit more frosting on top and little miss Summer found some vegan chocolate buttons in the cupboard - they were quite big for a cake - which went on top of that. It still looked more like two cakes, one stacked on top of the other.

Missus Summer then insisted on whipping some vegan cream she had previously acquired, so we served it with the cream on the side.

It tasted OK, but it wasn't amazing.

End of story!

Little miss Summer and I baked a chocolate cake on Saturday on account of it being missus Summer's birthday.

We found a recipe online that we both thought looked OK, then doubled the amounts and filled two cake pans as little miss Summer insisted we needed a two-layer cake.

We used some baking paper in the bottom of the pans and greased the pans with vegan spray margarine. The layers had to bake somewhat longer than the recipe called for, but fortunately they didn't burn, I think, although it can be hard to tell with chocolate cakes.

We also made some icing a.k.a. frosting using vegan margarine, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.

Little miss Summer put the frosting on the bottom layer, and I stacked the other layer on top as best I could. It didn't look like two-layer cake, just two cakes stacked on top of each other ...! Then a bit more frosting on top and little miss Summer found some vegan chocolate buttons in the cupboard - they were quite big for a cake - which went on top of that. It still looked more like two cakes, one stacked on top of the other.

Missus Summer then insisted on whipping some vegan cream she had previously acquired, so we served it with the cream on the side.

It tasted OK, but it wasn't amazing.

End of story!

it's the thought (not the taste) that counts!!!

Happy Birthday missus Summer!

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

put on a crock pot of beans this morning, soaked the pinto and northern beans overnight so it will be done in time to make my veggie/tomato/bean soup for dinner tonight with lots of beans leftover for future use

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52
put on a crock pot of beans this morning, soaked the pinto and northern beans overnight so it will be done in time to make my veggie/tomato/bean soup for dinner tonight with lots of beans leftover for future use

Emma JC
I can't tell you how badly it hurts me knowing you have an Instant Pot :rofl:
I have more pintos cooking in mine now, and will make corn bread and collards for tomorrow. Soaked all day, now cooked for 6 minutes and npr

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I can't tell you how badly it hurts me knowing you have an Instant Pot :rofl:
I have more pintos cooking in mine now, and will make corn bread and collards for tomorrow. Soaked all day, now cooked for 6 minutes and npr

aw, that is sweet of you!

I don't mind using the crock pot for beans, I get to smell the beans/onions/spices all day and I know they are so nicely done and can check them easily and leave them a bit if needed. 10 hours was exactly the right amount of time.

Emma JC

Made a very quick and easy mushroom soup...
Organic button mushrooms about 700 g
2 shallots
sautéed the shallots a bit first then added the mushrooms cooking til a bit tender
poured 1 cup boiling water onto 2 teaspoons of barley miso added that to the pot
then added about 1/4 litre of oat milk
salt and pepper
Blended with the stick mixer
It was Really good! Quite thick but I like my soups thick, could be used as a sauce...

In the past couple of days, I have made chocolate chip scones, zucchini-banana-chocolate chip muffins and more zucchini cakes. I froze most of the scones and muffins because I want to give some to my parents. I will make some seitan in a bit and might bake some cookies. I want sugar cookies, and the dough has to chill, so I might just make the dough today and bake the cookies tomorrow, as I'll be working later.

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I made the Depression chocolate cake. I threw in some choline...that would be chocolate... chips. It came out so so good. The texture is light and moist.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
aw, that is sweet of you!

I don't mind using the crock pot for beans, I get to smell the beans/onions/spices all day and I know they are so nicely done and can check them easily and leave them a bit if needed. 10 hours was exactly the right amount of time.

Emma JC
You reminded me how much I miss the smell of rice cooking!
I love rice in the IP but that is one of my favorite smells.

I'm still thinking what to make with the soy milk before it goes bad!
A nooch sauce with pasta most likely, just wish I had mushrooms

I just made rice today in my rice cooker. It does smell good!
Do you add nooch to rice? I like it with nooch, salt pepper and spread. Haven't done that in a while! My son used to like rice often, but hasn't made it in some time. I got used to him making it

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I ended up making my last two Beyond sausage with pasta.
Hope the soy milk is good tomorrow o_O
Hope Trader Joes is back--I've had the 2 quart Westsoy! I tried freezing it once and it didn't thaw right

Do you add nooch to rice? I like it with nooch, salt pepper and spread. Haven't done that in a while! My son used to like rice often, but hasn't made it in some time. I got used to him making it
Yes often. It’s one of my favorite ways to eat rice.

I'm making a Somerset apple cake.

I'm off for a walk with a friend tomorrow so thought that I'd bring some cake for a snack. We are going to meet up
in a huge park that is a half hour drive north of my place.
That sounds really nice. Enjoy!

• Love
Reactions: shyvas