What are you listening to right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm listening to the following song by Manowar. I'm not listening because I like Manowar or this song. Rather, I find the combination of lyrics and video a cross between amusing, sad, and intriguing in the aspect of the audience adoration. Hordes of malcontents reveling in vainglorious violence tempered with equally vainglorious heroism. I wonder how many would or have actually served in active military conflict and whether they could sing along to the likes of this afterward. I also wonder if military recruitment take notice and seek out such individuals to be cannon fodder for worldwide wars of aggression.

I don't necessarily love the lyrics of this song (well except "I have loved ladies and I have loved Jim Beam, and both tried to kill me in 1973" is one of the best lyrics of country music and I wasn't even born in 1973 my mother was in high school).

No, I love the sound. That beat, that swing. Its perfect for a country dance I know my eldest cousin knows.

I used to dance that with my grandpa's last wife. I was a big dancer when I was younger, for 11 years and a few years of burlesque as a young adult, and Gramps wife won twist contests in the mid-60s. We used to dance together. My absolute best memory of her because she was also completely borderline psychotic.

This week has been a mix of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds and Mastodon. Last week it was a 60 & 70s singer songwriter mix. Variety is the spice of life, right?

Because some drivers deserve a broken window

Since I posted Feist via Seasame Street earlier, I remembered something.
Her 1234 music video was pretty amazing. I don't know the technical term but I've heard it called a one-take or a long shot. That is when an entire scene is filmed without any cuts. Just one long take. It isn't done very often. First off hardly anyone notices but mostly because it's super difficult to pull off. If someone sneezes right at the end they have to start it all over. And with so many dancers and a complicated camera route, it only makes it harder.

Reactions: Veganite
these guys haven't been on Sesame Street.....yet

Wait. that is ten hours long. Man those guys are tough.

That would also be good to have as background music at a dinner party.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
In 1973, during the Nixon Impeachment, NBC news used a piece of music as an intro to the hearings. Kind of like an impeachment theme song. Today I learned that music was" Symphonie fantastique: Épisode de la vie d'un artiste ... en cinq parties (Fantastical Symphony: An Episode in the Life of an Artist, in Five Parts) Op. 14, is a program symphony written by the French composer Hector Berlioz in 1830." (From Wikipedia)

NBC used part 4 as their theme song. And the name of part 4 is..... wait for it...March to the Scaffold.

Just genius.

I also learned from Wikipedia,
Leonard Bernstein described the symphony as the first musical expedition into psychedelia because of its hallucinatory and dream-like nature, and because history suggests Berlioz composed at least a portion of it under the influence of opium. According to Bernstein, "Berlioz tells it like it is. You take a trip, you wind up screaming at your own funeral."​

Classic!

Did you learn this from watching Rachel Maddow last night? I did. 🤓

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
Listening to her podcast this morning.
then this afternoon I looked it up. It was too good not to share.

Reactions: Emma JC
Status
Not open for further replies.