Music What are you listening to now?

I have no idea why. I haven't heard this song in years, but I woke up from a dream last night and this song was fresh, right there.

Are there words to this?

I'm pretty sure you have heard of Scott Joplin? He was an American composer., and the one responsible for writing Maple Leaf Rag. He definitely didn't have Canada in mind when he wrote this song, as far as I know.

Lyric were added to the song later.

"In 1903, Stark issued a "Maple Leaf Rag Song", an arrangement of Joplin's music with words by Sydney Brown.[10] Brown's lyrics tell the story of a poor man from Accomack County, Virginia, who stumbles into a ballroom where, in spite of his anxiety over the state of his appearance, he manages to wow the crowd with the Maple Leaf Rag. While the men are jealous of his dancing abilities and draw their razors, the women love him, and the "finest belle" sends for a carriage and the two of them ride away.[12]"

I'm pretty sure you have heard of Scott Joplin? He was an American composer., and the one responsible for writing Maple Leaf Rag. He definitely didn't have Canada in mind when he wrote this song, as far as I know.

Lyric were added to the song later.

"In 1903, Stark issued a "Maple Leaf Rag Song", an arrangement of Joplin's music with words by Sydney Brown.[10] Brown's lyrics tell the story of a poor man from Accomack County, Virginia, who stumbles into a ballroom where, in spite of his anxiety over the state of his appearance, he manages to wow the crowd with the Maple Leaf Rag. While the men are jealous of his dancing abilities and draw their razors, the women love him, and the "finest belle" sends for a carriage and the two of them ride away.[12]"

What does that have to do with Maple Leafs?
Maple leafs are on the Canadian Flag and the name of a hockey team.
When you say Maple Leaf I think Canada.

Obviously the song is misnamed.
Perhaps the Fred Astaire Swing Time Rag??

• Haha
Reactions: silva
Maple leafs are on the Canadian Flag and the name of a hockey team.
When you say Maple Leaf I think Canada.

Obviously the song is misnamed.
Perhaps the Fred Astaire Swing Time Rag??
Maple leaves also comprise about 80% or more of the leaves about to fall in my neighborhood....

• Wow
Reactions: Veganite

This question ☝️ is beyond my knowledge. Scott would've been the guy the ask this question. I have no idea, really. Why did he call his other famous rag "The Entertainer"? I suppose when you're dubbed "The King of Ragtime" you can call your tunes whatever you like.

Perhaps he visited Canada and loved the trees so much, he said to himself "I'm gonna write me a tune about the Maple Leaf". 🍁
Yes, that must be it!

Thank god for hockey! We do enjoy the game here in Canada. I grew up playing, as did all my friends. If not on some frozen nearby lake, on the street or some parking lot.

The saddest part of this story...well, for some folks, is the "Leaf's", as in Maple Leaf's, have not won a Stanley cup since 1967. Not my team :rofl:

• Wow
Reactions: Blues and Lou