Sick, Fat and Ready to Fix this &$@“ now !

VeganandVegas

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I have been overweight since I was an adult. Lose weight, gain weight, you know the cycle! My lipid profile has been bad for a long time. I have been diabetic for about 5 years and it’s starting to take a toll on my health. I’m about 80 lbs overweight and it’s taking its toll of course! I saw the documentary What the Health on Netflix. It made a strong impression on me. I am about 1 week into the Vegan lifestyle. Here I am!

I have been overweight since I was an adult. Lose weight, gain weight, you know the cycle! My lipid profile has been bad for a long time. I have been diabetic for about 5 years and it’s starting to take a toll on my health. I’m about 80 lbs overweight and it’s taking its toll of course! I saw the documentary What the Health on Netflix. It made a strong impression on me. I am about 1 week into the Vegan lifestyle. Here I am!
Hi there.
I don't know pounds, but without trying I lost around 5 kilos in my first couple of months of being vegan. I'm still a little overweight (around 85 kg and 180cm, but I do like fried food! (btw that makes my BMI around 26, so a little way to go)

But stick to the lentils, beans and soy mince in casseroles (don't forget the nooch) and you will start to drop....

Welcome aboard and congrats on seeing the vegan light.

There are a lot of good books out there and you should see about getting one and reading it.
A little knowledge will smooth out the bumps on the vegan journey.

Eat To Live and How Not to Die are pretty similar - but first off you should read one of them.
My other good suggestion is to check out the Vegan Kickstart from PCRM
Maybe subscribe to a couple of newsletters, too.

Good luck.

welcome to the forum - I hope we can be of help to you on your journey

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I would highly recommend the book Mastering Diabetes and there is a YouTube channel by the same name. Both of the two authors are Type 1s and one of them was about to get off insulin completely by (you won't believe this) eating sweet fruit! The other author is down to taking the smallest dose of insulin possible. They say it is incredibly easy for type 2s to get rid of their Diabetes and they walk people through step by step.

I'm pretty sure Cyrus Khambatta is one of the authors the other is a Robert Barbaro. Cyrus has a long testimonial in Dr. Doug Graham's book, THE 80/10/10 Diet.

It wasn't surprising to me to learn that it was possible to reverse diabetes. The body can heal everything if we eat what is appropriate for our species and stop eating what isn't - even if BIG FOOD and BIG MEDICA tells us otherwise. We need to stop buying into fad diets that say certain addictive foods that we shouldn't be eating at all, are all right to eat. If we fast or eat a very clean diet appropriate for a human frugivore, we can reverse our degenerated condition; clean out our insides as we learn to welcome and not try to stop our bodies' attempts to heal us by first detoxing us - which isn't always pleasant.

As Doug Graham says in his book, we just like animals should be able to consume everything in its natural state as produced by Nature without any sort of processing or cooking - just like animals do. The few populations in the world that actually do this are the longest lived and don't suffer ANY chronic or degenerative conditions. Also they are all thin and fit.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling and just say that I highly recommend looking into Mastering Diabetes. Once you start eating a lot of water rich fruit and veg the weight will easily come off.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
WelcomeV&V
I was the"fat girl" in a family of 9 kids, all my life but changed all that at age 60. A whole foods plantbased diet, and lots walking has dropped off a total 90 lbs, and kept it off for 5 years.
Its a lot of hard work and great eating, but you can do this!
We're here to cheer you on.
Carol

That's very impressive already. I stumbled for quite a long time trying to be a strict vegan, and relapsed a few times into eating animal products. I saw "Supersize Me" a few years ago, and that was about as close as I became to having a spiritual awakening.

Good luck to you, and you can absolutely reverse or mitigate many of the effects of diabetes.