Music What are you listening to now?

(bold/italic emphasis mine) One thing that often throws me is when the (sad) lyrical content of a song contrasts sharply with the (somewhat happy, or at least not obviously sad) melody, although this is VERY common- from songs like "Oh My Darling Clementine" (gag) to "Shannon" (retch) to "Oh Danny Boy" (WARNING!!! Projectile Vomiting Imminent!).

Reactions: Tom L.
....songs like "Oh My Darling Clementine" (gag) to "Shannon" (retch) to "Oh Danny Boy" (WARNING!!! Projectile Vomiting Imminent!).

Oh, okay... Those aren't familiar to me. Probably from artists that aren't very skilled?
Darkthrone is really good at conveying depression.
The first and last of those 3 songs are quite old/traditional. "Shannon" was recorded in the '60s or'70s: I think it's about a family's pet dog who gets carried away by a current and lost when she's swimming in the ocean, and the family never stops missing her, hoping against hope that "...maybe she'll find an island with a shady tree... just like the one in our back yard...." I'm of largely Irish descent, and often enjoy listening to Celtic music, but "Danny Boy" just hits me the wrong way, even though it's quite popular.

I might listen to some Darkthrone on YouTube, if anything by them is posted there. I've always thought that music can be cathartic/helpful if it addresses a dark mood the right way for a particular listener. I'm thinking of "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" and "In My Time Of Dying", both by Led Zeppelin.

ETA: I liked the "Positive Affirmations" song/video you posted. Fortunately, I had the volume turned down before it started. :D Gonna look for some "Darkthrone" now....

ETAA: I just listened to the title track from "Blaze In The Northern Sky". Not bad!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
A little Canadian content is appropriate for today I think. I do find the album cover amusing. I had this in my collection back in the day.