Literature What are you currently reading?

Finished "Sea of Tranquility" by Emily St. John Mandel. I am still trying to decide how I feel about this book. She is a great writer and has a really impressive imagination. I have read a couple of her other books and this one is just almost too strange. It was released this year.

I have asked the library to put it on Hold for me, think it will be awhile.

Still working my way through the Krewe books and just reading The Girl in His Shadow - a girl in 19th century London trying to overcome the barriers of "no women doctors". Very interesting.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Chryssie
just reading The Girl in His Shadow - a girl in 19th century London trying to overcome the barriers of "no women doctors". Very interesting.

finished it and... there is a sequel (The Surgeon's Daughter) for which I will have to wait a few weeks grrrr - it is a great book, and the author is actually a pen name for 2 authors who collaborated

Emma JC

Reactions: Chryssie and Lou
I re-read Slaughterhouse Five the other day. It's the only Vonnegut I've read but I've been meaning to check out some of his other work.

Reactions: Emma JC
I re-read Slaughterhouse Five the other day. It's the only Vonnegut I've read but I've been meaning to check out some of his other work.
I think I have read every Vonnegut. but some I read so long ago I don't remember them clearly.

Slaughterhouse Five is probably his best known novel. but maybe not his best.

Although you can hardly go wrong. there are some good reasons to go with Cat's Cradle as you next read.

Yeah I was thinking Cats Cradle and Breakfast of Champions. I thought he wrote one called Planet 9 or something, maybe in one of his short story collections?

Yeah I was thinking Cats Cradle and Breakfast of Champions. I thought he wrote one called Planet 9 or something, maybe in one of his short story collections?
my favorite short story is Welcome to the Monkey House. you can find it in the Anthology that has the same title. I don't know if there is one called Planet Nine.

Last edited:
read another Emily Henry book yesterday Book Lovers - oh wow, I had a hard time putting it down and read late into the night until I finished it - loved every page and didn't want it to end which was kind of what the book was about... I had been waiting for it from the library for a long time

Emma JC

Finished another Doc Ford book, the third in the series published in 1993, "The Man Who Invented Florida". It was more of a fun read and focused on other characters. As always there was a lot of history and science discussed. Maybe some day I will get to go down to Sanibel Flats to this place:

Another book read today! Blake Crouch's "Dark Matter". It was amazing! The quantum physics and stuff is way over my head but I love these multiverse stories! I am on the library list for his latest book. He is such a good writer!

I finished another Louise Penny book called "A Better Man" which is another Chief Inspector Gamache book. I really like this series and this was another good one!
I got Blake Crouch's new book "Upgrade" but since I am going away this weekend, I won't get a chance to read it.

I think I forgot to mention that I finally finished The Weight of Ink.

It is a good book but not a page turner. It took me months and months to finish. I kept reading other books I got from the library in between.

It didn't help that the book is 600 pages long.

It was an interesting concept. in the present day there are two historians researching some newly found historical documents. and the reader also gets has the narrative in the past. 15th century London.

Sort of along the lines of a mystery. But if you like historical fiction and non-traditional mysteries you should check it out.

I'm going to read a book from my kindle today. No Place to Run by Mark Edwards.

Finished "Cuba Straits", another Doc Ford book by Randy Wayne White. I didn't like this one as much as some of the others but still a pretty good story.

Finished Blake Crouch's "Upgrade". It was another amazing read! No alternative universes this time. This one is about genetically modifying humans! The science stuff is a bit much and very detailed. DNA analysis of all kinds of genes with all the scientific names and codes and such. Way way over my head! But the story is just WOW and scary. Also a lot of references to climate change. If you like hard sci-fi this is a winner.

Rereading Fuhrmans "Eat to Live" on the Kindle, an Morse's classic "Japanese Homes and Their Surroundings "
The eternal stack by the bed contains:
a volume of Matthew Arnold's poetry,
NASV Bible,
"Planetary Herbology "by Michael Tierra,
Dava Sobel's "The Planets",
"Common Edible and Useful Plants of the West by Muriel Sweet,
"The Barefoot Architect" by Johan van Longen
"Mere Christianity" ~ CS Lewis

not much of a fiction reader of late....

I started on another series of Heather Graham's and read the first one, was part way through the second and decided I did not need to read about that level or type of evil and so returned it and the third one to the library - just finishing up the last of the Krewe Series and the New York Confidential series and enjoying them still.

Emma JC

Finished Blake Crouch's "Upgrade". It was another amazing read! No alternative universes this time. This one is about genetically modifying humans! The science stuff is a bit much and very detailed. DNA analysis of all kinds of genes with all the scientific names and codes and such. Way way over my head! But the story is just WOW and scary. Also a lot of references to climate change. If you like hard sci-fi this is a winner.

Just started this, thank you for the recommendation - very interesting so far.

Emma JC