Literature What are you currently reading?

After watching Jurassic World and Jurassic Park the other day I read that there are more books associated with the films. I only read the Michael Crichton books so I might look to see if any of the others got good reviews.
Some of the books were written for kids so I didn't read any of them!

I am reading a book called The Locked Room by Elly Griffiths. I have read all the books in this series and this is number 14. It came out earlier this year but it is set back in March 2020 and the following months during the first lockdown here.

It is weird reading it as it really reminds me of what it was like during that time in my life. The empty roads, the panic buying, the Prime Minister almost dying from Covid etc... The lead character has a cat and she was saying how she needed to put cat food as a priority. I remember I was like that with pet food, cat litter and toilet paper as I was paranoid about running out of any of them!

I have requested a few books from the library. I hope they will be available by Wednesday when I go to the bookstore for my volunteer shift. I don't think I put a Heather Graham on the list this time though.

I am reading a book called The Locked Room by Elly Griffiths. I have read all the books in this series and this is number 14. It came out earlier this year but it is set back in March 2020 and the following months during the first lockdown here.

It is weird reading it as it really reminds me of what it was like during that time in my life. The empty roads, the panic buying, the Prime Minister almost dying from Covid etc... The lead character has a cat and she was saying how she needed to put cat food as a priority. I remember I was like that with pet food, cat litter and toilet paper as I was paranoid about running out of any of them!
Do you need to read these in order or can you skip around? Does the plot continue from book to book or are they individual stories with the same character solving new mysteries? I see they are available on audio with the deception of the Locked Room, which is available for pre-order.

Do you need to read these in order or can you skip around? Does the plot continue from book to book or are they individual stories with the same character solving new mysteries? I see they are available on audio with the deception of the Locked Room, which is available for pre-order.
It is much better to read them in order to know the main characters. I feel like they should make a TV series from the books. That is what a lot of people say. :)They are different stories for each book but she refers back to what has happened before in past books.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I read another Riley Sagar book today. Final Girls. I didn't like this one as much as the last although I didn't guess the twist at all!

Reactions: Emma JC
It is much better to read them in order to know the main characters. I feel like they should make a TV series from the books. That is what a lot of people say. :)They are different stories for each book but she refers back to what has happened before in past books.
Ok thanks! I might give them a try. I love series, in general. I don’t normally like murder mysteries but I’ve listened to a couple now and depending on the story, I have actually enjoyed them. I really should broaden my horizon a bit and not just listen to the hallmarky type stories, lol.

• Friendly
Ok thanks! I might give them a try. I love series, in general. I don’t normally like murder mysteries but I’ve listened to a couple now and depending on the story, I have actually enjoyed them. I really should broaden my horizon a bit and not just listen to the hallmarky type stories, lol.
They do have crimes in the books but it is not very violent or scary overall.

I never liked romances. I like science fiction, fantasy and mysteries.
I've found some books to combine elements of more than one genre.
Of course romance is often combined with Historical Fiction.
And if you want a book that combines romance with mystery - that pool is pretty deep. Try googling it. there are lists.
Time Traveler's Wife is romance and science fiction.
And there are also lots and lots of romance - fantasy novels. Unfortunately they mostly contain vampires.
Hoopla has a lot of CJ Archer ebooks and audiobooks. CJ is primarily romance but also frequently combines mystery, historical fiction and fantasy in her novels, too.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I think I said this before but I currently am working through all the major works of Thomas Hardy and all of Jane Austen´s novels. Just finished Return of the Native (Hardy), which I think is one of Hardy´s better ones...

...and Mansfield Park (Austen) which had some good bits but was a bit long and a bit of a slog in the first half. Probably try Pride and Prejudice first and only read Mansfield Park if you love it. I looked online and it seems that Mansfield Park is rated a bit lower than the others.

Reactions: KLS52
I don’t really like science fiction/fantasy. And I don’t like straight romance. I like books about people and relationships…family, friends and significant others. If there’s a romantic relationship in there it’s a bonus. But no graphics…lol. Has to be P/PG rated, hence the hallmark reference.
I have a ton that sound good in my wish list.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I have just finished "All the Devils Are Here" by Louise Penny. It is a recent Inspector Gamache novel. I liked it a lot. I just love her writing! This one takes place in Paris and there is a lot of information about the city and the descriptions are very informative. I will continue reading this series. I love the characters and the author makes you feel for them and they are very real and believable.

• Love
Reactions: Tom L. and Emma JC
Just finished another Doc Ford book called "Salt River". I enjoyed it. I really like this series and will read all I can get my hands on!

I read another Tim Dorsey Serge Storm book called "Mermaid Confidential." This series is crazy, hilarious, over the top Florida Man fun! This one was a bit more disjointed than others I have read but still an entertaining read.

Finished "Sea of Tranquility" by Emily St. John Mandel. I am still trying to decide how I feel about this book. She is a great writer and has a really impressive imagination. I have read a couple of her other books and this one is just almost too strange. It was released this year.