Literature What are you currently reading?

I finished a book called "Wrong Lanes Have Right Turns" which is a memoir by a black man who is now a well known inspirational speaker and preacher. His name is Michael Phillips and his book discusses the failures of the education system in the US as well as the "school to prison pipeline" which is a huge issue for black youth. His story is interesting and he is a good writer.

reading another John Grisham (which I believe I have read before) Bleachers - just finished A Million Junes by Emily Henry - very different and enjoyable and a couple of Laura Dave's books

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Chryssie
I read Home Before Dark - Riley Sagar, today. I really liked it and it was the first time I had ever heard of the author.

I just bought another one of his to read. Last Time I Lied.
I'm finally getting around to reading Last Time I Lied tomorrow. I was thinking of making a corner of my house into a reading nook.:) I will do that later. I have a few more interesting sounding books to read on my kindle after that.

Reactions: Emma JC
Have just re-read the first 3 books of John Scalzi’s « Old Man’s War » after watching some episodes of Netflix’ « Love, Death and Robots » series, many of which are based on Scalzi’s short stories.

Disadvantage was, of course, that I stayed up longer than I had planned to this week, as the books are really gripping, and was a bit tired throughout the days.

I read Dark Matter a couple years ago and really liked it. Recursion was good too.

I'm half way through American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I've been wanting to read this author for a while, I'll definitely be checking out more of his stuff.

I read Dark Matter a couple years ago and really liked it. Recursion was good too.

I'm half way through American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I've been wanting to read this author for a while, I'll definitely be checking out more of his stuff.
I really like Neil Gaiman but did not like American Gods. Stardust is still my favorite.

• Friendly
I really like Neil Gaiman but did not like American Gods. Stardust is still my favorite.

Maybe the story goes downhill towards the end but I really enjoy his writing...clear and funny and goes to unexpected places. It kinda feels liked a surreal, deranged version of Kerouac's On The Road.

Reactions: Lou
I really like Riley Sagar. I am definitely going to read more of his books. I finished Last Time I Lied in a few hours yesterday.

I am going to reread two books I read back in 2012 called The Drowning Pool and Witch Hunt by a woman called Syd Moore. They are both set in Essex and one is set in the seaside town I have just moved to, the author lives here too.:)

Finished another Doc Ford book, "Chasing Midnight." It was really good! A lot of information about fish, especially sturgeon, as it is about illegal caviar and the black market of this product. There are also eco-terrorists and an exciting plot. I have another Doc Ford book to read too. Sometimes the technical stuff is like being in a class but it is very informative!

I am reading another Emily Henry book Beach Read and am enjoying it - I tried to read Broken by Don Winslow but it was just too violent and dark with no joy so I let it go after a few chapters.

Emma JC

I just finished a very interesting and entertaining memoir by J.T Harding called "Party Like a Rockstar." The author is a famous, award winning, contemporary songwriter. I never heard of him or any of the songs mentioned (except one). This is because his hits are mainly performed by country artists and I am not very familiar with that genre. While I was reading, I asked Alexa to play the songs mentioned and I enjoyed them. He has co-written songs for very well known artists such as Blake Sheldon and Keith Urban. The one song I actually recognized when I heard it is "Smile" by Uncle Kracker. The author not only tells his story but explains a lot about the music industry. It was really interesting!

While I was reading, I asked Alexa to play the songs mentioned and I enjoyed them.
my mind works in mysterious ways. Your post reminded me of a murder mystery novel I read years ago. What was memorable about it was that the author was also a musician and the hardcover novel included a CD. I remember that the CD was like a soundtrack but I could be misremembering and it was just one song. And that song was mentioned in the story.

However I can't remember the name of the book, author, or song.

I googled for it but couldn't find it. Instead I found a bunch of books that had music included. in the digital/internet age this may be way more common.

Has anyone read a book that included music?

I just finished "Firekeeper's Daughter" by Angeline Boulley who is a member of the Cherokee Nation and lives in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where this book takes place. She is a former Director of the Office of Indian Education at the US Dept. of Education. While this book is a work of fiction, the details about Native American culture of that area is very informative. The story is about a young half NA, half white woman who gets drawn into an investigation by the FBI about drugs. It is an exciting story and pulls you in and I thought it was amazing!

This was a fascinating book and I thank you @Chryssie for the recommendation. I was born in that area, on the Canadian side, and loved reading about things I knew and learned many new things as well. It is a heart-breaking, heart-warming and informative book and I had a hard time putting it down.

Amazing for sure.

Emma JC

Reactions: Chryssie
last few days... Michael Connelly's lastest (Bosch/Ballard) The Dark Hours, another JD Robb Eve & Roarke Abandoned in Death and some of Jayne Ann Krentz / Amanda Quick novels

Emma JC

I found another Florida author! Her name is Heather Graham and she has written many best selling books but I had never read any of them until now. I found her newest one called "Crimson Summer" at the Deltona library. I think there is a series about the main characters. One is a woman FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) officer and the other is a FBI agent. They are a couple. The story was about some horrific murders in Key West, NYC, and Chicago. Lots of interesting characters and pretty straightforward crime solving. Decent read and I will read more of her novels.

I went to a Wellness Fair yesterday and picked up 2 Wayne Dyer books. One was "Wishes Fulfilled". I used to own a copy of this years ago, and gave it away. I wish I didn't - so very glad I found it again. And also "Manifest Your Destiny".

I'm really struggling lately in some areas of my life, and I'm hoping that these books will help me to manifest and create a better future for myself.

Any other Wayne Dyer fans here?

• Love
I found another Florida author! Her name is Heather Graham and she has written many best selling books but I had never read any of them until now. I found her newest one called "Crimson Summer" at the Deltona library. I think there is a series about the main characters. One is a woman FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) officer and the other is a FBI agent. They are a couple. The story was about some horrific murders in Key West, NYC, and Chicago. Lots of interesting characters and pretty straightforward crime solving. Decent read and I will read more of her novels.
Seems like all the crime TV shows are in Chicago, New York, or maybe LA.
But all the best crime novels take place in Florida.
Maybe thats just my perception. Also I wonder if there are any conclusions to make of that