Literature What are you currently reading?

Just finished another Jennifer Weiner novel called "Good in Bed". Yes it has quite a bit of sex in it but that is not the main idea in this book. It is the story of Candace "Cannie" Shipiro, a plus-sized young journalist told in first person. It is not a new book as it was published in 2001 so is a bit dated but it is an amazing read. This author sucks you into the character's lives and they are so real. There is some humor; Cannie is a funny girl. There is a lot of emotional upheaval and Cannie's journey to "find herself" is touching and both heartbreaking and uplifting. I cried with her. Highly recommended!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I have been reading a ton of Linda Howard recently, mostly romance based but with so many different locations and plots it is very interesting - she also writes some with Linda Jones which are very good also.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Chryssie and Lou
The Assassins of Thasalon

A Penric and Desdemona Novel
by Lois McMaster Bujold

This is the tenth title in the Penric and Desmdemo series. And the 13th in the Realm of Five Gods series. If you haven't read any of these books than you should start with Penric's Demon.

I've read everything by Bujold but her shopping lists. She has a lot of good science fiction but I like her fantasies the best.

The Assassins is her first novel in this series. all the other books are novellas. and all of the books in this series came out first as ebooks. Unwilling to wait for them to show up at my library I have bought all of these books. they are usually less than $5 and take a day to read so I figure its cheaper than the movies.

Her older books have been collected and republished in hard covers. so if you want you can look in your public library for them. Also Hoopla has most of the e-books for free. Some of the books are now audio books too.

These books are just fun. the characters are likable and the endings are happy. And like all good fantasies there are sorcerers, demons, magic, royalty, pirates, damsels in distress and evil villains.

Just finished another Jennifer Weiner novel called "Good in Bed". Yes it has quite a bit of sex in it but that is not the main idea in this book. It is the story of Candace "Cannie" Shipiro, a plus-sized young journalist told in first person. It is not a new book as it was published in 2001 so is a bit dated but it is an amazing read. This author sucks you into the character's lives and they are so real. There is some humor; Cannie is a funny girl. There is a lot of emotional upheaval and Cannie's journey to "find herself" is touching and both heartbreaking and uplifting. I cried with her. Highly recommended!

I read this, thank you for the recommendation - it was enjoyable and I have downloaded another by Weiner and will likely start that one tomorrow.

Emma JC

Reactions: Chryssie
On my Kobo I'm reading Autumn's Chaos by Mary Stone. Love police procedurals. On my computer the Ninja Creami cookbook. On my tablet I have open The Friendly Vegan by Michelle Cehn and The Make-Ahead Vegan by Ginny Kay McMeans.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I finished a debut novel called "The Damage" by Caitlin Wahrer, another lawyer turned author. I hope she writes another book soon because this one was really good. It is the story of how a crime committed on a family member tears a family apart and the decisions and consequences of various acts. While I am not fond of the jumping back and forth in time technique, it does work to build up suspense. The story is told from the different perspectives of the family members. I literally couldn't put this book down and read the whole thing this afternoon.

For those of you who like Enola Holmes, after a ten-year hiatus we are getting another Enola Holmes mystery.
It won't come out till September, but if you want you can preorder it at Amazon. the latest scuttlebutt is that there will be another Enola Holmes movie, too.

Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche

Reactions: Emma JC and EllieW
For those of you who like Enola Holmes, after a ten-year hiatus we are getting another Enola Holmes mystery.
It won't come out till September, but if you want you can preorder it at Amazon. the latest scuttlebutt is that there will be another Enola Holmes movie, too.

Enola Holmes and the Black Barouche

I have put it on Hold at the library, not in ebook format yet.

Emma JC

Hail Mary
by Andy Weir

Weir is the guy who wrote the Martian. I loved the Martian. I also have read his other book, Artemis.

Hail Mary is another near future science fiction novel. and like the Martian is has a lot of real science it it. But it also has a pretty big and important thread of imaginative science- a single cell organism that can cross interstellar space.

The book is super well written and constructed. And a real page turner.

If you like hard science fiction - this is a must read. Note to @Sax

OH! I just learned that a film is already in the works. I can't wait.

I have finished another book. This one is very new, published this year. It is called "First Responder: A Memoir of Life, Death, and Love on New York City's Front lines." The author is a remarkable woman named Jennifer Murphy who became a volunteer EMT in her 40's. Her "day job" is crisis management and she is a writer also. The book is amazing. You learn so much about first responders and what they go through. In this case, it is in NYC and 9/11 is a very big part of this story of survivors and victims. Jennifer was in the midst of the 9/11 tragedy, living nearby and being friends with several firefighters. There is a lot of sadness and emotion in this book but also hope. The last half of the book deals with the pandemic and how first responders had to deal with that. This book had me in tears many times. It should be required reading for everyone so they appreciate first responders more. Read it!

I can't find this on any of my platforms, did find two others of hers The Lost Orphan and The Familiars, have you read them?

Emma JC
How strange! Maybe it's not out in Canada yet? I haven't read the others but have heard good things so will definitely check those out too at some point.

Screenshot_20210803-220003_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Reactions: hungryraccoon