Literature What are you currently reading?

I need to stop getting bogged down in nonfiction and go on a page turner binge. Anyone have recommendations for hard scifi?

I need to stop getting bogged down in nonfiction and go on a page turner binge. Anyone have recommendations for hard scifi?
I don't think we have similar tastes in books but you can maybe check out the blurbs and decide on your own.

You might like Neal Stephenson. I have not read his last couple of books. one of my favorites is Cryptonomicon. It might be my best recommendation for you because its got a lot of real stuff in it.

You may have seen the movie - but have you read the book? The Martian. or how about Artemis, same author.

Connie willis is not what I would call a hard science fiction author. but her time travel stuff is fantastic. Piece of trivia - she has won more awards than any other SF writer.

If you like Space Opera, just about anything by David Webber. On Basalik Station is a good place to start. Its the first in the series but when it was written it was supposed to be a one-off.

I'm a huge fan of Lois McMaster Bujold. Falling Free is pretty much a stand alone novel. (most of her stuff is part of series)

they are classics now but just about anything by Larry Niven and David Pournelle. and of course Asimov and Heinlien.

and.. I didn't like 'em but everyone else does - the books the tv show the Expanse is based on. It starts with Leviathon wakes.

Reactions: Sax
Thanks Lou. Yeah I read The Martian...and Artemis was really good! Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle is one of my favorites.

I've been meaning to check out The Expanse series.

Reactions: PTree15
Thanks Lou. Yeah I read The Martian...and Artemis was really good! Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle is one of my favorites.

I've been meaning to check out The Expanse series.
I couldn't get into the books or the tv show. but I don't know why.

I read The Guest List by Lucy Foley yesterday and I really enjoyed that. I'm starting another by her today - The Hunting Party.
The Hunting Party got quite good. I'm 60% in now as I started it and then got bored, but I picked it up again today. It did have a description of a deer being killed that I didn't appreciate, but I guessed that it would have that type of content from the title!

The next one up for me is Lisa Jewell - The Family Upstairs.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I read this book today, "Grounds for Murder" by Tara Lush. It is a light crime story taking place in South Florida. I enjoyed it and hope the author writes another one about the same characters. It could be a series.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I read "The Law of Innocence" by Michael Connelly yesterday. It is the most recent in the Lincoln Lawyer series. I haven't read one of those since the first one and of course saw the movie. This was really good as the Lincoln Lawyer himself is accused of murder and must defend himself. There is a lot of courtroom action and is very informative about how the system works. It was written just last year and near the end of the story, the pandemic is mentioned so it is very contemporary. I will have to read some more of this series!

The last book I read was a psychological thriller - The Guilty Wife by Nina Manning. 8/10.

Reactions: Emma JC
I just finished "The Last Days of John Lennon" by James Patterson. It was really good. There was the history of the Beatles and several chapters interspersed in that story about Mark David Chapman. The attempt to get inside his deranged mind was very interesting and disturbing. There are also several photographs of John and the Beatles. There is actually a photo of Chapman getting John's autograph on the Double Fantasy album. Very interesting read.

Reactions: Emma JC
The Invisible Life of Addie Larue
By V.E. Schwab

One night I was having trouble sleeping and I needed a new audio book. I didn't want to get out of bed and look at my lists and what not and I didn't want to take the time to search around. So I just downloaded the first thing that came up in the Hoopla recommendations. I finished it last night and completely enjoyed it. this morning I googled it and I'm not the only one who liked it.

Its only available as an audiobook on Hoopla but I just checked and my library has it in every format. Amazon has it too,

From Hoopla
A Life No One Will Remember. A Story You Will Never Forget.​
France, 1714: in a moment of desperation, a young woman makes a Faustian bargain to live forever-and is cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets.​
Thus begins the extraordinary life of Addie LaRue, and a dazzling adventure that will play out across centuries and continents, across history and art, as a young woman learns how far she will go to leave her mark on the world.​
But everything changes when, after nearly 300 years, Addie stumbles across a young man in a hidden bookstore and he remembers her name.​
In the vein of The Time Traveler's Wife and Life After Life, The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue is New York Times bestselling author V. E. Schwab's genre-defying tour de force.​
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
USA TODAY BESTSELLER
NATIONAL INDIE BESTSELLER
THE WASHINGTON POST BESTSELLER

Recommended by Entertainment Weekly, Real Simple, NPR, Slate, and Oprah Magazine
#1 Library Reads Pick
October 2020
#1 Indie Next Pick
October 2020
BOOK OF THE YEAR (2020) FINALIST
Book of The Month Club

Praise for The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue:
"For someone damned to be forgettable, Addie LaRue is a most delightfully unforgettable character, and her story is the most joyous evocation of unlikely immortality."
-- Neil Gaiman, author of American Gods and winner of multiple Nebula, Hugo, and Locus Awards

"Victoria Schwab sends you whirling through a dizzying kaleidoscopic adventure through centuries filled with love, loss, art and war -- all the while dazzling your senses with hundreds of tiny magical moments along the way. The Invisible Life of Addie Larue will enchant readers as deeply as its heroine's Faustian bargain; you will find yourself in quick turns both aching with heartbreak, and gleefully crowing at the truly delicious, wicked cleverness in store."
-- Naomi Novik, Nebula and Locus Award-winning author of Spinning Silver

"Addie Larue is a book perfectly suspended between darkness and light, myth and reality. [This novel] is--ironically--unforgettable." -- Hugo Award winner Alix E. Harrow, author of The Ten Thousand Doors of January

"The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue is the kind of book you encounter only once in a lifetime. . . . A defiant, joyous rebellion against time, fate, and even death itself--and a powerful reminder that the only magic great enough to conquer all of it is love."-- Peng Shepherd, author of The Book of M

The Invisible Life of Addie Larue
By V.E. Schwab

One night I was having trouble sleeping and I needed a new audio book. I didn't want to get out of bed and look at my lists and what not and I didn't want to take the time to search around. So I just downloaded the first thing that came up in the Hoopla recommendations. I finished it last night and completely enjoyed it. this morning I googled it and I'm not the only one who liked it.

Its only available as an audiobook on Hoopla but I just checked and my library has it in every format. Amazon has it too,

From Hoopla
A Life No One Will Remember. A Story You Will Never Forget.​
France, 1714: in a moment of desperation, a young woman makes a Faustian bargain to live forever-and is cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets.​
Thus begins the extraordinary life of Addie LaRue, and a dazzling adventure that will play out across centuries and continents, across history and art, as a young woman learns how far she will go to leave her mark on the world.​
But everything changes when, after nearly 300 years, Addie stumbles across a young man in a hidden bookstore and he remembers her name.​
In the vein of The Time Traveler's Wife and Life After Life, The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue is New York Times bestselling author V. E. Schwab's genre-defying tour de force.​
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
USA TODAY BESTSELLER
NATIONAL INDIE BESTSELLER
THE WASHINGTON POST BESTSELLER

Recommended by Entertainment Weekly, Real Simple, NPR, Slate, and Oprah Magazine
#1 Library Reads Pick
October 2020
#1 Indie Next Pick
October 2020
BOOK OF THE YEAR (2020) FINALIST
Book of The Month Club

Praise for The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue:
"For someone damned to be forgettable, Addie LaRue is a most delightfully unforgettable character, and her story is the most joyous evocation of unlikely immortality."
-- Neil Gaiman, author of American Gods and winner of multiple Nebula, Hugo, and Locus Awards

"Victoria Schwab sends you whirling through a dizzying kaleidoscopic adventure through centuries filled with love, loss, art and war -- all the while dazzling your senses with hundreds of tiny magical moments along the way. The Invisible Life of Addie Larue will enchant readers as deeply as its heroine's Faustian bargain; you will find yourself in quick turns both aching with heartbreak, and gleefully crowing at the truly delicious, wicked cleverness in store."
-- Naomi Novik, Nebula and Locus Award-winning author of Spinning Silver

"Addie Larue is a book perfectly suspended between darkness and light, myth and reality. [This novel] is--ironically--unforgettable." -- Hugo Award winner Alix E. Harrow, author of The Ten Thousand Doors of January

"The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue is the kind of book you encounter only once in a lifetime. . . . A defiant, joyous rebellion against time, fate, and even death itself--and a powerful reminder that the only magic great enough to conquer all of it is love."-- Peng Shepherd, author of The Book of M

I have put it on Hold at my library

ty for the recommendation

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
How to Be Yourself: Quiet Your Inner Critic and Rise Above Social Anxiety - Ellen Hendriksen.

I am a bit nervous about going out properly again and meeting new people after being indoors so much. I have planned to go to a community meet-up in July that I am a bit anxious about. I'm hoping this book will help.

I have discovered another Florida writer in the same style as Hiaasen. Tim Dorsey who was also a newspaper writer before writing novels. The book I just finished is "Tropic of Stupid" and is part of a series. Wacky characters, crazy happenings, and lots of humor. I enjoyed it and will get others in the series. The library has several. I think this one is the newest at #23 or 24. The first 2 are only available as ebooks.

Reactions: Lou