Literature What are you currently reading?

I just finished a new book by Justin Cronin called "The Ferryman". It is a sci-fi/dystopian/post apocalyptic, profound and beautiful. It is the story of Proctor Bennet, the ferryman, who takes people to die and be reborn in a strange world called Prospera. The Earth has been destroyed environmentally and this small oasis contains all of humanity as far as we know. But all is not as it seems. There were times I was totally blown away and confused , like WTF is going on? But in the end it is a beautiful story. It is pretty "heavy". I am going to look for his other books as his writing is beautiful and the characters are compelling.

15 weeks wait for me at the library - something to look forward to

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Wow
Reactions: PTree15
I have read the Slenderman book and then the Mindhunter book. Did anyone know that the serial killer Ted Bundy previously worked in a rape crisis centre?! The mind boggles.

Next up is something much less depressing, hopefully. I will look on my kindle tomorrow.

I read something light and fun today! "Mimi Lee Reads Between the Lines" by Jennifer J. Chow. Another amusing murder mystery starring the telepathic cat, Marshmallow, and his human. This book adds a second cat who is also very talented! Now I will reserve book 3 in this series. It is nice to read something fun!

I read something light and fun today! "Mimi Lee Reads Between the Lines" by Jennifer J. Chow. Another amusing murder mystery starring the telepathic cat, Marshmallow, and his human. This book adds a second cat who is also very talented! Now I will reserve book 3 in this series. It is nice to read something fun!

This sound way too much like Lilian Braun Jackson's books. Which I loved. Quillian, Koko, and Yum Yum.
If the cats are siamese and if they author has a broken typewriter - I'm calling foul.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I have read some of those also and while a bit similar, these are very modern. Marshmallow is a big white fluffy Persian and actually is a big part of solving the mysteries as he can talk to other animals, as well as sneak in where humans can't. Plus he can read and "speak" telepathically to Mimi. He also has a lot of "catitude."

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
I thought I heard about a TV series but is it on Netflix?
I just finished the third book in the Shadow and Bone series.
It veered from the TV show in a few places.
Most notably at the end. I like the end of the book SO much better.

The other thing that I hadn't really noticed till I got to the end was that there was an entire plot thread missing. One of the books ended with an excerpt from another book that included the "missing characters". But I hadn't realized that was from a different series till I got to the end of the third book and the author starts describing it.

So a little bit of googling and I found out that there is another series (two books not three) that have the missing characters. That series is called Six of Crows. From what I gathered from the author's description is that the events in Six of Crows happen a few years after the ending of Shadow and Bones. So I'm not sure how the TV show combined the two books. Well, I've already put the two books in Six of Crows on hold. Both are available as ebooks.

I've also discovered that Six of Crows is not all she wrote. There is another series and a few stand alones in the same universe.
Also where S2 of shadow and Bones ends is open ended so I'm not sure where s3 will go. but there is a season 3 planned.

Also while googling, I discovered there may be an adaption by Amazon of one of leigh Bardugo's books, Ninth House, which also takes place in the same universe.

I just finished a new book by Justin Cronin called "The Ferryman". It is a sci-fi/dystopian/post apocalyptic, profound and beautiful. It is the story of Proctor Bennet, the ferryman, who takes people to die and be reborn in a strange world called Prospera. The Earth has been destroyed environmentally and this small oasis contains all of humanity as far as we know. But all is not as it seems. There were times I was totally blown away and confused , like WTF is going on? But in the end it is a beautiful story. It is pretty "heavy". I am going to look for his other books as his writing is beautiful and the characters are compelling.

I decided to try one of his books and started with his first one The Passage - I almost returned it immediately when I saw how long it was and then thought "I'll read one chapter" and it caught me - I am just over a third of the way through and do find it interesting and admit that I have skipped some of the pages with lots of detail.

Emma JC

Reactions: Chryssie
I decided to try one of his books and started with his first one The Passage - I almost returned it immediately when I saw how long it was and then thought "I'll read one chapter" and it caught me - I am just over a third of the way through and do find it interesting and admit that I have skipped some of the pages with lots of detail.

Emma JC

OMG I just realized that it is a Trilogy so I won't be done when I reach the end........

Emma JC

I’m on audiobook two of the Sweet Island Inn series by Grace Palmer. It’s pretty good. Wholesome. Based in Nantucket. I love stories based in Nantucket, Maine, anywhere in New England. There were even a few based in Connecticut!

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
I’m on audiobook two of the Sweet Island Inn series by Grace Palmer. It’s pretty good. Wholesome. Based in Nantucket.
That is funny! I googled yesterday what the limerick was about the man from Nantucket! I always hear that reference in The Simpsons and Frasier and I didn't know what it meant.

It is very rude, if you didn't know! :lol:

I just finished "The Passage" and have reserved book two. What a wild ride this story is! It is like a melding of "The Last of Us" and "Dracula". Book three of the "Shadow and Bone" series is now available so I am going to pick it up now.

Finished "Ruin and Rising" the last of the "Shadow and Bone" series. I enjoyed the books so I will look for more by this author. I have no library books now! Yikes! I hope the second book in "The Passage" series is available soon.

I read "Revenge" by James Patterson and Andrew Holmes while I waited for the next book in "The Passage" series. It is available now so will get it tomorrow. This was a typical Patterson story with good characters, lots of action. and decent plot. It takes place in the UK and is about the Chetzen mafia (they don't like being called Russian). A good fast read!

The novels for WOT is a huge commitment. I think there are 20 books and they are long.
There are 14 books and yes, many of them are very long.
I started WOT very late - in the 2010s, and have since read the whole series about 5 or 6 times, typically re-reading the older books when a newer one came out after a long delay.

With all that, while I liked the series at the beginning, I found the changes to the books to be unacceptable for me in the last episodes of the first season, so I do not plan to continue watching any future seasons of it.

Reactions: Lou
Am now reading "The Lost Metal", the last of the 4 books of the second "Mistborn" series by Brandon Sanderson.
Before that, I re-read the 3 earlier books, and likely would also have re-read the 3 books of the original/first "Mistborn" series ... but could not find the boxed set in any of my bookshelves. One of the disadvantages of paper books.

There are 14 books and yes, many of them are very long.
Just 14? if felt 20. I read the prequel, too. are you counting that?
I started WOT very late - in the 2010s, and have since read the whole series about 5 or 6 times, typically re-reading the older books when a newer one came out after a long delay.
I was tempted to do that a few times.
I think by the time I hit the 3rd book I was even with the author. Sometimes after a long delay I couldn't remember who everyone was. Fortunately there were articles on the internet that saved me the trouble.

Even so, sometimes characters were missing in novel and it was not until a few books later they show up again. Many years in real time. So after awhile I just got used to not knowing how all the connections fit together.
With all that, while I liked the series at the beginning, I found the changes to the books to be unacceptable for me in the last episodes of the first season, so I do not plan to continue watching any future seasons of it.
now that you got me thinking about it - I really should give it a try.