Literature What are you currently reading?

:( I need Netflix but I don't think I can afford another streaming service!

I hear you - we have just Netflix and Prime - no cable TV so we do make good use of the ones we have - probably watch more YouTube than anything else though - which is free.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
I haven't had cable for years but I have many streaming subscriptions! Sling TV, Peacock, Disney+, Hulu, Paramount+, HBO Max, and AMC+. I also have Amazon Prime.

Reactions: Emma JC
I haven't had cable for years but I have many streaming subscriptions! Sling TV, Peacock, Disney+, Hulu, Paramount+, HBO Max, and AMC+. I also have Amazon Prime.
I think it's odd that you have all this others but not Netflix. I think Netflix is the best of the bunch. you should get a trial subscription and see if you like it. I bet you could cancel Peacock, Hulu, paramount or AMC.
I just have YouTube TV and Netflix. but I do pirate some stuff. I have YouTube TV for the News and Football. But mostly I watch Netflix

I will check into what Netflix offers. I watch specific shows on each of those networks. I had Netflix way back in the DVD days!

Reactions: Lou
I read this on here earlier and I just asked my brother if he had seen/read Shadow of Bone and he had seen the TV series. He said I would probably like it as it isn't very violent like Game of Thrones. He said I might like Wheel of Time too.

Reactions: Chryssie
I read this on here earlier and I just asked my brother if he had seen/read Shadow of Bone and he had seen the TV series. He said I would probably like it as it isn't very violent like Game of Thrones. He said I might like Wheel of Time too.
I was not aware of the Shadow books tlll after I saw the first season on TV. The books are in the YA section.
Not sure if that stands up to examination. but yes, less violence and sex than GOT.

I don't think any librarians would put WOT in YA. Not that it's particularly violent (or sexy), but it's complex and complicated. I read all the books but haven't watched the tv show. I don't think the reviews have been that good.

The novels for WOT is a huge commitment. I think there are 20 books and they are long. They are great and used to be the real test for geek-hood. I read them as they came out and that was pretty hard. There was so much time between books - and there are so many characters - it was hard to keep it all straight. The author died before it was over and the guy they got to finish it did a good job.

Another good YA book to TV show is His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass series).It has a thinly disguised anti-catholicsism theme and is banned in some places. But it's very imaginative. I think only the first three books are Must Reads. They made the first book into a movie but it flopped at the box office (maybe because of the boycotts and protests). I did like the movie a lot. It is also a TV show now. but I haven't seen it. Its on HBO.

Last edited:
Another good YA book to TV show is His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass series).
I have read those Philip Pullman books, but a long time ago.

I finished the Slenderman book today. The crime was utterly shocking and sickening, but the way the two girls who committed the crime were treated afterwards was quite unbelievable. You would think you were reading horror stories about what happened decades ago to children in institutions like that.

I had also previously thought those two little girls had committed a murder and that is a big misconception a lot of people had about the case, apparently.

I want to read every day next week Mon-Fri as I still have quite a few books on my kindle to get through.

I did start the book Mindhunter tonight. It is similar to the TV show I watched recently, obviously, as it was based on the original book, but very interesting so far.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I just finished a new book by Justin Cronin called "The Ferryman". It is a sci-fi/dystopian/post apocalyptic, profound and beautiful. It is the story of Proctor Bennet, the ferryman, who takes people to die and be reborn in a strange world called Prospera. The Earth has been destroyed environmentally and this small oasis contains all of humanity as far as we know. But all is not as it seems. There were times I was totally blown away and confused , like WTF is going on? But in the end it is a beautiful story. It is pretty "heavy". I am going to look for his other books as his writing is beautiful and the characters are compelling.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
I have about 20% left of the Mindhunter book. I did preorder a book yesterday Keep Her Secret by Mark Edwards as he said on IG that if you liked his other book The Magpies you would like this. It had an offer price of only £1.99 so that was good.:)

I am on an email list that recommends new books and I was lucky the library had this and I didn't have to wait very long to get it.
My library sends me a bunch of different lists. I skim them then sometimes add one to my "hold" list. but since every other library user gets that same list the line is always long.

Good Reads and Amazon sends me more personal recommendations. And with Amazon, I get the heads up before the book is published. Sometimes I'm at the top of the Holds list then,

Last edited: