Literature What are you currently reading?

I am reading Doomsday and finding all the detail annoying - am tempted to put it down and not read anymore but over halfway through so will likely finish it....

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I am reading Doomsday and finding all the detail annoying - am tempted to put it down and not read anymore but over halfway through so will likely finish it....

Emma JC
Huh. I'm surprised. I just listened to that as an audio book. I had read it and loved it years ago.

Which details? or in general. time travel details? although I thought those come at the end. or the details about the history. I liked the way she was able to part the curtain and give us a little peak at the Middle Ages.

I wouldn't mind chatting about it later - maybe privately - cause there would be spoilers.

Safehold Series by David Weber.

I'm finishing up this series I started it like 20 years ago. Towards the end I got ahead of the author and by the time the last couple of books came out I sort of forgot about them. I just finished the second to last book and strarted up on the last book.

Each book is like 1000 pages. And each book adds characters. Kind of reminds me of how I felt about Wheel of Time with all the characters - some don't even show up in every book. so when the do show up you can't remember who they are.

Not for Emma. Talking about details. This book is SF and is about a war on another planet. Not every battle is described but the ones that are are described in great detail. But it's kind of fun in a way. When the first book starts the technology level of the planet is pre-industrial. Galleons with cannons. Armies with Flintlocks. By the end they have steam powered iron clads, carbines, and blimps.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I read "Dead Wind" by Tessa Wegret while I waited for "All Clear" to be available (which it is now). It is one of a series about a woman NY investigator. It takes place in a small town in upstate NY right across from Canada. I need to go find the first book in the series to get the background on some of the things talked about in this book which has 2 murder investigations going on. It was pretty good especially towards the end. There is an environmental aspect to the story as a murder victim is found beneath a huge wind turbine.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Huh. I'm surprised. I just listened to that as an audio book. I had read it and loved it years ago.

Which details? or in general. time travel details? although I thought those come at the end. or the details about the history. I liked the way she was able to part the curtain and give us a little peak at the Middle Ages.

I wouldn't mind chatting about it later - maybe privately - cause there would be spoilers.

I felt like there were unnecessary characters and unnecessary events - it actually felt more like a book about bell ringers than about time travel or a viral outbreak .... I did finish it last evening and it had good tension towards the end. Funny thing I had given my honey a synopsis of the book as I was reading it and when I told him the ending he was the one to say "what? it ended there?" lol

We can chat anytime...

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
I finished "All Clear" last night. Though I liked it and the history of London during the blitz was fascinating, it was way too long. 600+ pages that could have been less IMHO. I am going to take a break from Ms Willis I think.
I started reading "Slenderman" by Kathleen Hale. It is the true story of the 12 year old girls who attempted to kill their friend because of an online obsession with the fictional Slenderman. This happened in Wisconsin in 2014 and I remember the case. The author did extensive research and there are details never before told in this book.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
I finished "All Clear" last night. Though I liked it and the history of London during the blitz was fascinating, it was way too long. 600+ pages that could have been less IMHO. I am going to take a break from Ms Willis I think.
Can't argue with you there. Blackout/All Clear were too long. Probably should be made into a Netflix series - I think those are usually too long too. :)

Right now I'm reading a 1000 page book and I wish it was only 600 pages long. :)
So no sympathy for you right now.

However before you get too far from Willis - read To Say Nothing of the Dog. It takes place in the same Universe as her other time travel books but is comical and humorous.

I started reading "Slenderman" by Kathleen Hale. It is the true story of the 12 year old girls who attempted to kill their friend because of an online obsession with the fictional Slenderman. This happened in Wisconsin in 2014 and I remember the case. The author did extensive research and there are details never before told in this book.
I remember that news story, it was very disturbing.

• Agree
Reactions: Chryssie
I bough that Slenderman book as it looked interesting. I forgot I bought the Mindhunter book too and I have quite a few new books on my kindle that I borrowed on Amazon reading. I haven't been reading for a while as I have been watching lots of Netflix so I might start one of the books next week.

I finished "Slenderman" today. This book makes me sad and angry. It is the tragic story of a failed mental health system in the US and especially hard line "hard on crime" states like Wisconsin. And which is the most disturbing thing is that nothing much has improved in the almost 10 years since this happened. Most mass shooters have a mental illness and all the red flags were missed or ignored. :(

I read "The Paris Detective" by James Patterson and Richard Dilallo before getting the reserved book from the library. This was an easy and fun read about a French detective working with the NYPD. It is actually 3 short stories in one book. It has humor and while about murders, is rather lighthearted. The Frenchman is very handsome, young, and rich and he is quite the character. Very enjoyable after reading that depressing "Slenderman".

I just finished a very long SF series called Safehold. I'm going to suggest not reading it. It was thousands of pages long. And IMHO not a good investment on your time. Sort of a disappointing ending, too.

Before I got the last two books from the library I was reading The Shadow and Bone trilogy. I'm going to go back and finish that. I was on Book two.

Apple TV has a new series based on a bunch of Short Stories - the first one is called Wool. I am thinking of reading that next.

I just finished a book that was on a "new must read" list. It is called "Chain-Gang All-Stars" and is by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah. This is a dystopian tale of a society where private owned prisons conduct "games". It is a combo of "Hunger Games" and WWE where prisoners are on teams and fight to the death as a reality show on TV. The main characters are Black as are most incarcerated people in the US. It is brutal. There is torture and lots of killing. Throughout the book there are footnotes of facts about the justice (injustice) prison system. It is a disturbing read and I had to take a break for a day before finishing it.

• Friendly
I needed to read something light after all the depressing stuff I have been reading. I picked up "Mimi Lee Gets a Clue" by Jennifer J. Chow. It is a very cute crime story about a young woman who owns a grooming business called Hollywoof located in Hollywood, CA. She gets involved in a murder investigation with the help of her telepathic cat, Marshmallow, who can talk to dogs as well. It is a really fun read. I am hoping for more adventures with this duo!

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I'm about 30% into the book. It is incredibly horrible how two little girls could do something like that! Really shocking.

• Sad
Finished "Shadow and Bone" today. I really liked it and now will reserve the second book after I finish the one I am currently reading. I also have to pick up the second Mimi Lee book which is ready.

Finished "Shadow and Bone" today. I really liked it and now will reserve the second book after I finish the one I am currently reading. I also have to pick up the second Mimi Lee book which is ready.
I just finished the second book. Starting the third.

Have you seen the tv show? The story seems to be the same but told in a different order.