Literature What are you currently reading?

I've been reading a lot lately. It must be the dark and chilly weather. I got into bed at 8 to read last night as I felt cold.

I read another Ruth Ware book last night. In a Dark, Dark Wood. I really like this author and I think I will read all of her books!

I am almost finished with "Project Hail Mary" by Andy Weir. It is what I call "hard" science fiction. It is very heavy on science terminology, math, and physics which is often way over my head. This does not in any way stop me from really liking this book. The story is really amazing and like "The Martian" has one main character who faces a really bad situation. I highly recommend this book!

I started this book called Shiver. It got really good reviews but I'm 51% into it and nothing much has happened. I will carry on and hope it goes somewhere.

I think Amazon has a glitch as every time I try to delete a book from my kindle it says it is eligible for a refund?! I feel dishonest getting money back for books I have read.

I mean, I'm sure Amazon can afford it, though! :lol:

I finished a sci-fi novel called "The Vanished Birds". It was written by Simon Jimenez and is his first novel published in 2020. It is about jumping through time and space. If you like that kind of story, it is really interesting.

thank you for the recommendation Chryssie - I finished it last night and it was very interesting, certainly a different take on time/space

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Chryssie and Lou
I am such an idiot sometimes! I have already read "Artemis" and I probably said so on here but I totally forgot until I picked up the book and recognized it today! :D So I started a YA novel called "Forest of Hands and Teeth". It is sounding a lot like "The Walking Dead" with infected people who "return" and bite and eat the living. So far pretty good!

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
So that last book is actually one of a series but I don't think I will read any more of them. I just didn't really get into the whole plot or really care about the characters that much. The Walking Dead does the whole zombie virus thing much better!
I just finished Stephen King's "The Outsider". It was really good. He is such a great story teller!

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
because of watching Carry Pilby (movie) I decided to read Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger - a very interesting deep read... I am not sure that I have read The Catcher in the Rye and so I have ordered it - a surprising number of people have it on Hold and it is a very long wait to get it - hmmm I think I may be able to get a physical copy quicker so have ordered that too

I have also been reading the Stone Barrington books, in order, by Stuart Wood. Easy reads, not too much brain power needed and just enough mystery to keep it interesting.

Emma JC

I read a book called "Zero Days" by Ian Williams. It was a "cyber thriller" and I had high hopes for it. While it was pretty good, it wasn't as compelling as I thought the story should have been. Espionage, conspiracy, and a worldwide computer virus still didn't "grab me."

because of watching Carry Pilby (movie) I decided to read Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger - a very interesting deep read... I am not sure that I have read The Catcher in the Rye and so I have ordered it - a surprising number of people have it on Hold and it is a very long wait to get it - hmmm I think I may be able to get a physical copy quicker so have ordered that too

I have also been reading the Stone Barrington books, in order, by Stuart Wood. Easy reads, not too much brain power needed and just enough mystery to keep it interesting.

Emma JC
I read Catcher in the Rye when I was in HS because I wasn't allowed to. I didn't think that highly of it. I'm pretty sure I read Fanny and Zooey about the same time. I can't remember anything about it. I was also tempted to read it again because of Carry Pilby. Did it help illuminate the film at all?

I've been re-reading and listening to books in the Miles Vorsokian series. I like them more now.

I read Catcher in the Rye when I was in HS because I wasn't allowed to. I didn't think that highly of it. I'm pretty sure I read Fanny and Zooey about the same time. I can't remember anything about it. I was also tempted to read it again because of Carry Pilby. Did it help illuminate the film at all?

I've been re-reading and listening to books in the Miles Vorsokian series. I like them more now.

no, I am not really sure how it related to the film however as I have already forgotten what it was about I may not be the best judge of that :rolleyes:

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
I have just finished Robby Krieger's memoir "Set the Night on Fire." If you are a fan of the Doors, this is a must read! I have read the other band members' memoirs as well as the popular "No One Gets Out Alive" which I own. This is not only about the band, but a moving story of Robby's life. This is a new book that just was released in October. Highly recommended!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I have been slogging through the Stone Barrington novels still and am getting a bit tired of all the "activity" he is having - also reading The Rose Code and it is very interesting.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
Just finished "Pretty Little Things" by Jilliane Hoffman which was published in 2010 so is a little dated since it deals with the internet. It is a disturbing crime thriller about missing teens and a serial killer in South Florida. It seemed familiar as I was reading it but I think this plot has been done on CSI or Criminal Minds. It was a pretty good book and did suck me in even though some of it was not very realistic.